“fab food great choice and value”

Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor
Reserve with OpenTable
Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 120 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We ate in this restaurant over the bank holiday week-end, and have to say it was excellent, really good value for money great choice and large portions, although we are large eaters we could not finish the meal, I ordered cheese and biscuits on one of the evenings and had a selection of 7 different cheeses, wow, we would thoroughly recommend

QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

Dear Fisherman44

Just a brief note to thank you so much for your review. i am glad you enjoyed your experience in Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone. I shall make sure all the staff are aware of your appreciation.

We shall very much look forward to your return trip!

There are newer reviews for Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I found the restaurant by chance and decided to give it a go, we called up 2 hours before and they were able to fit us in. Off we went not knowing what to expect and enjoyed a chilled out pre dinner drink in the bar and then shown into the restaurant and enjoyed what can only be described as the best slow roasted belly pork we 've ever had, the starters were simple but cooked and presented beautifully and dessert was a large slice of cheese cake, lovely. All accompanied by a nice glass of white wine.
If we had to describe the meal in one word, it would be PERFECTION.
The staff were very pleasant and quick to please, would definately reccommend.

QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Benandfliss

Thank you so much for leaving your review - am so pleased you enjoyed yourselves and found everything to your satisfaction!

we very much look forward to seeing you back again.

Thank you for taking the time to do the review - much appreciated!

Philip J Milton

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I recently had dinner here while staying at the hotel on a business trip to the area. The food was very good and service very friendly. I think some of the comments left by others are a bit unfair. Its not a five star restaurant but very good value for money. The crab cakes were lovely and the pork as a main was fantastic. Its a nice relaxed atmosphere.

1  Thank MrTaster
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear Mr T

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your kind comment - so glad that you enjoyed your stay and indeed your meal in Tyme Restaurant.

We are pleased to announce that we have just secured our second year's Three Star rating with an improved mark and are still the only Three Star Hotel and restaurant in the immediate Ilfracombe area in fact.

We look forward to seeing you again - perhaps you'll have to bring your young lady next time to share with you!

My best wishes

Reviewed June 29, 2012

Starter, main course and dessert were all very good quality for all three diners. There is a limited selection on the dinner menu, but they do have other possibles if none of the mains are suitable (this is not advertised though.) Two had Sirlion Steak, ordered medium rare and was correctly cooked. My wife had the trout and said the cheese board for dessert was great.

1  Thank Realityracer
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear Realityracer

Many thanks indeed for your review. I am pleased that you were happy with the quality of your meal.

I am sorry about the choice restriction but that is because we operate on a daily changing Table d'hote to ensure everything is as freshly prepared as possible as a long menu suggests more use of freezer and microwave....! However, usually if there is a desire for more choices, as you mention a quiet word with Chef means we can add to the usual menu selections for the meal! Indeed, if you have any favourites, tell us in advance and we'll see what we can do for you!

Thank you again for taking the time to comment and we shall look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

After reading the last review and after a friends recent visit, I feel Tyme restaurant needs to look at its menu and cooking. We ate on a two for one and the supposedly fresh vegetables were frozen peas and carrots, not very inspiring. The meal itself was ok but more like an old pub standard meal rather than the description Trimstone give of themselves. Staff great but meal lacked that extra something, a 2 for 1 should entice me back, but probably wont.
My friends meal was also uninspired, the beef was tough and fish overcooked and again vegetables questionable, I am reporting as a 3rd party, but would not question their judgement.

5  Thank doctorbob1312
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear DoctorBob

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Apologies that everything was not to your liking but a shame you did not mention anything that we could have rectified on the evening.

We do not use frozen vegetables as such though as a result of your and the previous comments, we are reviewing presentation of accompanying vegetables so they better reflect the hard work of preparation which goes into them!

However, I think one problem is in expectation - we are not Michelin starred and don't plan to be; conversely, as yourselves, on a voucher whereby a couple dined on three courses of freshly prepared fare, with three to four selections of starter, main and sweet, at £14.25 for each of you, it is extremely good value for what we are trying to offer. Had we been £50 each for the food, then I think you would have been entitled to expect some extra finesse, though we have many guests who are very happy with our food, ambiance and service.

Unfortunately sometimes, it is 'discount people' who expect top five star cuisine (we are a Three Star Hotel and Restaurant) for an unrealistically cheap price and the two concepts are totally incongruous. It does encourage us to consider stopping these sorts of deals altogether, to start to to attract the custom which appreciates what we are offering at a fair price. Alternatively, sometimes the same sorts of people should be charged double and then they think they are getting better value... ho hum!

Anyway, sorry we failed to meet your expectations and all success in your future experiences. Other prospective guests, please be assured that we shall do our utmost to ensure you are very happy with your choices and fare! We hope you will join our growing band of happy and regular customers!

Yours sincerely