“Had high expectations after looking on the web but felt let down.”

Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor
Reserve with OpenTable
Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 122 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I had booked an evening meal here to celebrate my 50th birthday. After looking on the Internet I chose Trimstone Manor because it looked "classy" and somewhere a bit different. The first problem was trying to park the car as the car park was full and had to resort to parking on the grass verge on the main road although the restaurant was almost empty!!
We were greeted very warmly and guided through to the bar area where we were given menus and ordered drinks. My partner and I both agreed that the choice on the menu, especially for vegetarians, was very limited. To start we both had the Veg Dim Sum which was divine for the mains I had a T bone steak which was rather bland and very fatty and my partner a butternut squash with feta cheese and olives which again was wonderful. Service throughout was good apart from being let down by the dress code of some of the other diners. This was supposed to be a high class place to eat but was more like a campsite refectory and not what I had expected. Overal the place seems very tired and in need of some tlc and plants in the garden and not weeds would help make a better first impression.

10  Thank Tessiefw
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2011

Dear Tessiefw

Thank you for your comments following your visit. Of course, I am sorry that not everything was absolutely right for you.

I am sorry about parking and directions - you should have asked as whilst the Hotel was full that night, you could have parked out the front or even the top carpark rather than on our quiet lane. We are painting lines soon though to make that easier!

We change the menu daily rather than a long list of freezer friendly options, always with freshly prepared courses every day but if diners mention a special delight or aversion in advance, we do try to work around that for them as well. There is also an extensive barsnacks' range.

We operate a 'smart casual' policy but being in a holiday area, guests' definitions can vary sometimes. However, we are not trying (or pricing) to be an absolutely exclusive venue - our Three Star rating is just fine and we are in a very old building with a 'comfortable' feel, original art and antiques around the Place but not a 'refectory', which I see as being without table cloths and stacking tables and chairs. However, despite our Garden Award this Spring, agreed that some weeds have overtaken our gardener over the last few weeks - sorry! Still, there are plenty of lovely flowers and shrubs here and the maintenance and improvement task is ongoing despite the significant works undertaken since we arrived in 2007.

We shall look forward to seeing you again and if you have any special preferences for the menu, do tell us when booking and we'll see what we can do.

My very best wishes

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Wonderful setting, excellent hospitality and an innovative menu - we dined at The America's themed evening and throughly enjoyed. My dessert of peanut butter ice cream pie was just glorious! I understand there are more themed evenings coming up soon too - a great idea for a fun evening out.

2  Thank loobyloud

Dear Loobyloud

Many thanks for posting a review on TripAdvisor and indeed for your kind comments.

We shall look forward to seeing you again and if there is any special fare you'd like, we'll see what we can do!

My best wishes

Reviewed July 18, 2011

The first thing to say is that Trimstone Manor is in a really beautiful setting in the North Devon countryside. We went there for a themed evening entitled 'The Americas' and thought it was wonderful. From the bison meat starter to the cajun-rub salmon to the New York style cheesecake, it was all really delicious and very well cooked. The service was excellent and the atmosphere very friendly and relaxed. This was a fantastic evening and the themed menu was a great success.

2  Thank timkevan

Thank you for your kind comments. i am so pleased you had a good time with us.

Look forward to seeing you back soon!

Best wishes

Reviewed July 16, 2011

We dined here this evening and, sadly, all we can say is that it was disappointing. The food was bland and unattractive, lacking in presentation, flavouring and was overcooked. The venue is in a lovely location and the staff were helpful. The decor was a bit tired. The menu was limited to a fixed dinner with no a la carte choice. Service was rushed so much do we were finished in a hour and a half. The only upside was that we used our tastecard and got 50% off the food bill. It's a shame this has potential but is lacking on a number of areas.

8  Thank londonseptember
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2011

Dear London September

Thank you for your review. Naturally we are sorry you were disappointed with your experience.

I do not know what you chose to eat but actually, for a treat, we were enjoying a couple of friends' company in the Restaurant ourselves that evening! It was a special menu based on "The Americas" as a theme for that night so it was a new departure for our Chef who overall I felt did very well. I did have a couple of small observations which I have relayed to him but my salmon and the peanut-butter icecream pie were really remarkable. The pork didn't work so well, I thought and the soup may have been a tad too hot for some. We change our menu every day and there are typically four starters, mains and sweets for diners to choose. There was/is an extensive bar snacks' menu as well if guests prefer something lighter, though Chef's home prepared menu choices are recommended first!

I don't quite know what to say about service being rushed - it is generally easier to have complaints about delays in the food industry! However, if anything I thought our service was a little slower than it should have been.... which shows how subjective it can be.......but we enjoyed a relaxing time in the Bar awaiting being called to dine and were then the last to leave afterwards but I apologise if the staff gave an impression of wanting you to exit quickly as nothing is further from the plan at all. As an Hotel as well, guests are welcome to stay for as long as they want and definitely we do not try to rush diners so I am sorry if that was the impression. Indeed, if ever guests would prefer a little more time in between courses, say the mains and sweets, all they need to do is ask.

If you would like to try us again, we are happy forwarding the evening's menu to you at any time later in the specific day or if you have any special preferences to ensure the range is more to your liking, as long as we have enough notice gladly we'd try to work something around you. we are also continuing our ongoing improvements to the Restaurant though we shan't dispense character at the cost of modern! In fact, two new vases and a high-back chair have arrived this weekend and watch for the curtains soon!

All best wishes

Philip J Milton - Owner

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyable altogether.
My fiancee and I went for a meal here, the approach to the Manor and Restaurant is easily accessible down a short beautiful country lane just off the main road.
We had a friendly greeting and ordered some drinks and handed a menu.
The order was taken from us in a friendly and timely manner.
We were shown to our table which had a beautiful view over the gardens and the surrounding countryside.
The meal arrived in a good time which was very well presented and enjoyable.
We were attentively served in polite pleasant manner.
Overall, a very enjoyable experience and thoroughly recommended.
... and it's a Tastecard restaurant too!

2  Thank johnsmander
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

Dear John

Just a short note to thank you very much for your kind comments. i am glad you had a good experience with us here at Tyme Restaurant.. Have to admit to an unusual thing today - that I treated myself and a business acquaintance for lunch and don't have any regrets either - even if my views might be biased but thank you very much Darren!
My best wishes Philip - owner