“Amazing program and fantastic staff running it!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of NuBeginnings

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ilfracombe
NuBeginnings
San Diego, California
“Amazing program and fantastic staff running it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was at nu beginnings for 4 weeks and lost a total of 24 pds! The staff were all incredibly knowledgable , professional, encouraging and warm! The location spectacular! A truly amazing overall experience. I highly recommend this program for anyone interested in getting back into shape in a very smart, balanced and holistic way.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story. 24lbs of fat loss in just 4 weeks. Well done you. That is such a good demonstration of what a difference a 4 week stay makes.
The team will be calling you every week for the next two months to make sure you are doing well now you are back home.
Thanks again and I can't wait to hear about your ongoing success.

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I recently spent a wonderful and inspiring week at Nu Beginnings in Devon.

I went to NB with the hope of getting my fitness back on track in order to feel less lethargic and have more energy to get active with all my boys (three sons, a husband and my dog who thinks she's another boy!) - if i lost a few pounds on the way I wouldn't mind....my expectations were surpassed!

The week's programme was intensive, informative and inspirational. My room, along with the whole house and garden, was beautiful, comfortable, spotlessly clean and luxurious. All of the staff were very friendly, welcoming and above all, encouraging and supportive. My fellow guests for the week were great too - I feel we were fortunate to spend the week with each other and made some good friends. We were eight very different personalities but all enjoyed each other's company and differences with great humour, support and compassion.

The week's fitness programme was intense and extremely well organised - each person's abilities were always taken into account; with the trainers knowing perfectly when to push for more and when a person had given their all. The varied range of activities was excellent and very good for helping to give an idea of what to continue with when back home. Hiking in the beautiful Devon countryside/coastal paths was amazing. The massages were excellent and very welcome. The food was delicious - a Low Glycemic Load diet was followed, with meals and snacks being perfectly spaced to not feel hungry at all.

I have been home for two weeks now and am very pleased to say I have found my new way of eating and exercising effortless and enjoyable - I was trained well! The low Gl diet really suits me, as does eating every three hours...I love my morning snack of fruit and five nuts - I would never have thought just five nuts would be enough!

My dog and boys are all very enthusiastic and encouraging with their new FitMum and FitWife! They have really enjoyed thrashing me at tennis every day, been impressed with me devising and instigating them into joining me doing circuits in the garden and have been generally delighted to have me back in action! My youngest son loves interval running with me, although he usually ends up running the whole time - i can't ever wear him out! My older boys go out together interval running every day now - they don't want to be seen out running with Mum- classic teenagers in that respect! The dog loves the new longer, faster walks! We all had a wonderful 15 km hike last weekend (I walked at 'Cap speed'!) and have another planned for this weekend - this may become a new family tradition? They did all insist on stopping at a village tea room, but I only had half a slice of gluten free plain cake and rose tea - I resisted the pretty, delicious looking strawberry and rose cake!

Thanks to all the staff at Nu Beginnings: you have reinvigorated my life - I feel energised and enthusiastic every day now....getting out of my comfort zone was the boost I needed. I miss Kieran and Shane's encouragement and activities - they are the perfect duo, as are Jennie and Dave, for inspiring anyone to get fit and lead healthy lives.

I would definitely recommend a stay at Nu Beginnings to anyone wanting to lose a few pounds, kick-start a bigger weight -loss programme or to get their fitness and diet back on track. If you need further encouragement....I lost 5.75lbs/2.6kg during my week at NB, which, added to the amount I have lost in total since coming home two weeks ago, is a grand total of 1stone 4pounds/18 lbs /8.2 kgs!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 2. It was a beautifully decorated, clean and well equipped corner room, so had dual...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hazelbt
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hazel - I am loving the image of you doing circuits with the whole family. That's great.
Congratulations on your fabulous weight loss - 18lbs in three weeks is some going. Bravo.
Keep up the good work and thank you so much for taking the time to share your story. It's really great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your compliments to Jennie, Dave, Shane and Keiran.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have been to Nu Beginnings before and am now 4 stone lighter and a lot fitter. Last week I returned and lost a stone. I am back on track, Jennie, Dave and the team have an amazing balance that challenges, educates, inspires and pampers you physically and emotionally. You are pushed to beyond what you think you can do but it is at your own level. The results are amazing and I have left positive, invigorated and grateful for the support. This is a rare gem of a place to visit. The hikes, beach fitness and the Triangle (go and find out) are memorable, the food incredible (thanks Gary), the trainers Keiran and Shane, knowledgeable and likable but tough -they will introduce you to 'good pain', the hiking guides Cap, Dave and Mary enthusiastic and encouraging, the therapists top notch and the programme holistic and effective. To include nutrition and fitness talks, cooking demonstration is an excellent way to encourage a lifestyle change. I am unashamedly a fan of the place and the people, but this is due completely to excellent experiences that have been repeated. Looking back to my first visit in 2011, Nu Beginnings was picked, in the last year of her life by my mum, who was worried I would die due to my obesity before the cancer got her. I believe Nu Beginnings could have saved my life, but at the very least it has enabled me to improved it beyond measure. This is an important part of my journey and if you are really looking to improve your own journey this is an great place to start, but expect to be changed, I was.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Piplb
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Pip,
What a wonderful review. Thank you for sharing your story. Huge congratulations on losing 56lbs - that's wonderful.
Thanks again.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a week at Nubeginnings in Devon. Although physically challenging, we both enjoyed it immensely. From 7.30am each day until falling into bed about 9pm it was pretty much non - stop each day. They have a wonderful team there led by Jenny and Dave. Really, nothing was too much trouble for them. Patience and understanding of each individuals needs, worries and troubles were all taken care of with a smile.

There is a well balanced list of activities ranging from Yoga/Pilates in the mornings to 5-6 hour hikes along the beautiful Devon coastline, combined with strenuous sessions in the gym and walk/jogs on old railway tracks and on the beaches. We dropped 17 and 10lbs respectively, but more importantly, learned many things about diet that we had not been aware of. Anyone looking for a cushy relaxing week should look elsewhere. This is tough, but also enjoyable. It is also life changing, as we learned a lot of things about diet that we were unaware of. For those who have strayed into an unhealthy life style and piled on weight, this is a great place to go to be re-oriented back to healthier living

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 771Williamc771
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell people about your stay at NuBeginnings. Wow 17lbs lost in 1 week. I am so pleased you enjoyed your week at NuBeginnings so much.

Congratulations on your wonderful results and do let us know how you are doing now that you're back home. We will be in touch for the next 2 months to answer any questions and support you as you continue making changes.
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I spent 7 days at NuBeginnings recently and it was a very worthwhile experience. I wasn't enormously overweight, with perhaps 8-9 kgs to lose at most and I was both surprised and delighted to have shed almost 5kgs of that during my week on the program.

There is a very high level of knowledge and professionalism at NuBeginnings and this mixed with a personable, down to earth, friendly and understanding approach from the team really helped me to get the maximum from my stay.

Kieran and Shane, the fitness guru's, will quickly figure out your level of fitness and train you accordingly over a varied program, both indoor and outdoor. These guys are seriously good and compliment each other perfectly. They know how to get it out of you, but they were so good I wanted to give them my best.

The hiking program took us through scenery that is absolutely spectacular. The countryside surrounding Ilfracombe is really beautiful. Expert guidance from seasoned hikers Dave and Cap, who varied the length and intensity of the hikes according to our individual fitness levels.

Cooking demonstrations, fitness and nutrition lectures, hypnotherapy and massages are also an integral part of the week. The cooking demos and lectures add hugely to the long term value and benefit of the NuBeginnings approach. Your getting educated for life here.

Gary the expert resident chef provided a varied, flavoursome and nutritious low GI based menu over the week. The portions are enough to keep you going, no more than that, but hey I was there to lose weight. I found Saturday until Tuesday tough on the food front but by Wednesday as my body detoxified and switched into low GI mode, the going became a lot easier. No coffee or tea is allowed but unlimited herbal tea and water is available at all times.

Accommodation was very comfortable, my room had a beautiful view over Ilfracombe harbour. No TV at NB but high speed Internet was available in my bedroom so bring your iPad if you have one! Not every room has a bath, something to check when your making your booking.

Overall NuBeginnings was a really worthwhile experience. I received the tremendous benefit of short term weight loss coupled with the knowledge of how to maintain it over the longer term, which I have done. Jenny has been great at keeping in touch ever since, checking in to see how I'm doing on a regular basis.

Finally I'd say that NuBeginnings will definitely provide you with all the expertise, facilities and equipment you'll need to reach your goals, but you'll also need to bring yourself, your determination, positivity and resilience. If you do that you'll have the week of a lifetime. Thanks to all the team at NuBeginnings!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I think you covered almost everything - wonderful.

"A week of a lifetime" - that's exactly what we aim to provide. Thank you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Nu Beginnings really is a dream bootcamp. I must confess that I was more than a little apprehensive at the start of my stay (after all, a bootcamp is a bootcamp). There I was, approaching my 65th birthday, with cardio vascular disease and a very on-off attitude to exercise. I tried to wriggle out of the hiking because I just could not imagine being able to keep up with everyone else, and the rest of the programme also filled me with dread. I need not have worried at all. Not for nothing is NB described as a boutique bootcamp. It's not a one-size-fits-all set up. I received virtually one-on-one treatment the whole week, so my fears of straggling along behind everyone else vanished on day one! Everyone is so kind and supportive that I was able to just concentrate on me and trying to do better with each passing day. The whole experience is inspirational so that you leave with a different, healthier mind set. The house is beautiful and North Devon is spectacular to say the least. Dave and Jennie and the whole team are just wonderful. Thanks to all of them for redirecting me to a healthier way of life.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely, from the largest to the smallest. Quiet and with great views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rosie D
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for writing your review of your stay at NuBeginnings. I am delighted you enjoyed it and congratulations on your wonderful results.
We work hard to make sure that no one ever feels left behind or needs to worry about their current fitness levels. I am delighted you felt at ease and confident whilst at NuBeginnings and I hope that confidence continues for you.
Please let me know how you are getting on now that you are home. Keep up the good work.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

A big thank you to the wonderful team at NuBeginnings for creating such a positive, healthy environment. Dave and Jennie run a wonderful operation, and provide excellent customer service (if you forget something, no problem - they will have it or can get it for you). They are truly kind people, and are extremely hospitable (the Sunday papers were a nice touch!). They have also put in place an exceptional team - fitness instructors (Kieran and Shane are fun and encouraging - no yelling and screaming, just lots of positive reinforcement while getting you to achieve things that seem overwhelming, like climbing up sand dunes on a beautiful beach!), massage therapists (all wonderful, but Vanessa is wonderful company as well as great at her job!), a chef (Gary, wow, can he make food taste good, and his presentation is stunning), hiking guides (Cap, Jessica and Mary were all good company and supportive while getting us up and down some big inclines), a nutritionist and hypnotherapist (I learned a lot from both Sharon and Hazel), an amazing Zumba teacher (if only we all had as much energy as Karen!), a qigong/acupunture expert (Dan was right - the needles didn't hurt!), and Rachel and Molly, the wonderful and soothing pilates/yoga team.

The week was perfectly organized: enough activity so that you do not get bored (and so that you get FIT!), but also enough time to rest and recover.

The hikes are truly amazing - the scenery is breaktaking, and Dave does a great job organizing the outings. There are plenty of guides for a small group, so people can walk at their own pace. I had a bit of a problem coming down what for me was a challenging section, but Mary and Dave were very supportive and encouraging. I was considering doing an easier walk the next day, and Dave was happy to organize this for me, but I decided to join the group and push myself - and was I glad that I did. I was rewarded with the most spectacular views along the north Devon coast. And while bits were indeed challenging, Dave got us up and down those hills, stopping for a breath when needed (he could see when we needed the breaks!).

If you are thinking about booking, just do it - you won't regret it! Our small group all had great results (weight loss and inches off). More importantly, I think, we learned a lot, and left NuBeginnings with the tools we need to carry on in a healthy way. We have also been given access to a website with recipes, meal plans, etc. and Jennie will be checking in with us by phone for a few weeks, if we need some support.

Dave and Jennie, keep up the great work that you do, and thank you for a most enjoyable week.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 23498y8
NuBeginnings, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time your review of NuBeginnings. Needless to say the team is delighted you enjoyed yourself so much.

Most importantly congratulations on your marvellous results and I wish you every good wish for your continued success.

Jennie will be in touch with you every week over the next two months (as usual) so I look forward to hearing how you are doing.

Thank you again for writing your review. I really appreciate it. When future guests read this they know it has been written by someone experiencing the same problems as they are and that makes all the difference.

Warmly,