“Getting back to healthy living at NuBeginnings”
Review of NuBeginnings

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ilfracombe
NuBeginnings
Dublin, Ireland
“Getting back to healthy living at NuBeginnings”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a week at Nubeginnings in Devon. Although physically challenging, we both enjoyed it immensely. From 7.30am each day until falling into bed about 9pm it was pretty much non - stop each day. They have a wonderful team there led by Jenny and Dave. Really, nothing was too much trouble for them. Patience and understanding of each individuals needs, worries and troubles were all taken care of with a smile.

There is a well balanced list of activities ranging from Yoga/Pilates in the mornings to 5-6 hour hikes along the beautiful Devon coastline, combined with strenuous sessions in the gym and walk/jogs on old railway tracks and on the beaches. We dropped 17 and 10lbs respectively, but more importantly, learned many things about diet that we had not been aware of. Anyone looking for a cushy relaxing week should look elsewhere. This is tough, but also enjoyable. It is also life changing, as we learned a lot of things about diet that we were unaware of. For those who have strayed into an unhealthy life style and piled on weight, this is a great place to go to be re-oriented back to healthier living

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 771Williamc771
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell people about your stay at NuBeginnings. Wow 17lbs lost in 1 week. I am so pleased you enjoyed your week at NuBeginnings so much.

Congratulations on your wonderful results and do let us know how you are doing now that you're back home. We will be in touch for the next 2 months to answer any questions and support you as you continue making changes.

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I spent 7 days at NuBeginnings recently and it was a very worthwhile experience. I wasn't enormously overweight, with perhaps 8-9 kgs to lose at most and I was both surprised and delighted to have shed almost 5kgs of that during my week on the program.

There is a very high level of knowledge and professionalism at NuBeginnings and this mixed with a personable, down to earth, friendly and understanding approach from the team really helped me to get the maximum from my stay.

Kieran and Shane, the fitness guru's, will quickly figure out your level of fitness and train you accordingly over a varied program, both indoor and outdoor. These guys are seriously good and compliment each other perfectly. They know how to get it out of you, but they were so good I wanted to give them my best.

The hiking program took us through scenery that is absolutely spectacular. The countryside surrounding Ilfracombe is really beautiful. Expert guidance from seasoned hikers Dave and Cap, who varied the length and intensity of the hikes according to our individual fitness levels.

Cooking demonstrations, fitness and nutrition lectures, hypnotherapy and massages are also an integral part of the week. The cooking demos and lectures add hugely to the long term value and benefit of the NuBeginnings approach. Your getting educated for life here.

Gary the expert resident chef provided a varied, flavoursome and nutritious low GI based menu over the week. The portions are enough to keep you going, no more than that, but hey I was there to lose weight. I found Saturday until Tuesday tough on the food front but by Wednesday as my body detoxified and switched into low GI mode, the going became a lot easier. No coffee or tea is allowed but unlimited herbal tea and water is available at all times.

Accommodation was very comfortable, my room had a beautiful view over Ilfracombe harbour. No TV at NB but high speed Internet was available in my bedroom so bring your iPad if you have one! Not every room has a bath, something to check when your making your booking.

Overall NuBeginnings was a really worthwhile experience. I received the tremendous benefit of short term weight loss coupled with the knowledge of how to maintain it over the longer term, which I have done. Jenny has been great at keeping in touch ever since, checking in to see how I'm doing on a regular basis.

Finally I'd say that NuBeginnings will definitely provide you with all the expertise, facilities and equipment you'll need to reach your goals, but you'll also need to bring yourself, your determination, positivity and resilience. If you do that you'll have the week of a lifetime. Thanks to all the team at NuBeginnings!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I think you covered almost everything - wonderful.

"A week of a lifetime" - that's exactly what we aim to provide. Thank you.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Nu Beginnings really is a dream bootcamp. I must confess that I was more than a little apprehensive at the start of my stay (after all, a bootcamp is a bootcamp). There I was, approaching my 65th birthday, with cardio vascular disease and a very on-off attitude to exercise. I tried to wriggle out of the hiking because I just could not imagine being able to keep up with everyone else, and the rest of the programme also filled me with dread. I need not have worried at all. Not for nothing is NB described as a boutique bootcamp. It's not a one-size-fits-all set up. I received virtually one-on-one treatment the whole week, so my fears of straggling along behind everyone else vanished on day one! Everyone is so kind and supportive that I was able to just concentrate on me and trying to do better with each passing day. The whole experience is inspirational so that you leave with a different, healthier mind set. The house is beautiful and North Devon is spectacular to say the least. Dave and Jennie and the whole team are just wonderful. Thanks to all of them for redirecting me to a healthier way of life.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely, from the largest to the smallest. Quiet and with great views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rosie D
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for writing your review of your stay at NuBeginnings. I am delighted you enjoyed it and congratulations on your wonderful results.
We work hard to make sure that no one ever feels left behind or needs to worry about their current fitness levels. I am delighted you felt at ease and confident whilst at NuBeginnings and I hope that confidence continues for you.
Please let me know how you are getting on now that you are home. Keep up the good work.
Reviewed February 1, 2013

A big thank you to the wonderful team at NuBeginnings for creating such a positive, healthy environment. Dave and Jennie run a wonderful operation, and provide excellent customer service (if you forget something, no problem - they will have it or can get it for you). They are truly kind people, and are extremely hospitable (the Sunday papers were a nice touch!). They have also put in place an exceptional team - fitness instructors (Kieran and Shane are fun and encouraging - no yelling and screaming, just lots of positive reinforcement while getting you to achieve things that seem overwhelming, like climbing up sand dunes on a beautiful beach!), massage therapists (all wonderful, but Vanessa is wonderful company as well as great at her job!), a chef (Gary, wow, can he make food taste good, and his presentation is stunning), hiking guides (Cap, Jessica and Mary were all good company and supportive while getting us up and down some big inclines), a nutritionist and hypnotherapist (I learned a lot from both Sharon and Hazel), an amazing Zumba teacher (if only we all had as much energy as Karen!), a qigong/acupunture expert (Dan was right - the needles didn't hurt!), and Rachel and Molly, the wonderful and soothing pilates/yoga team.

The week was perfectly organized: enough activity so that you do not get bored (and so that you get FIT!), but also enough time to rest and recover.

The hikes are truly amazing - the scenery is breaktaking, and Dave does a great job organizing the outings. There are plenty of guides for a small group, so people can walk at their own pace. I had a bit of a problem coming down what for me was a challenging section, but Mary and Dave were very supportive and encouraging. I was considering doing an easier walk the next day, and Dave was happy to organize this for me, but I decided to join the group and push myself - and was I glad that I did. I was rewarded with the most spectacular views along the north Devon coast. And while bits were indeed challenging, Dave got us up and down those hills, stopping for a breath when needed (he could see when we needed the breaks!).

If you are thinking about booking, just do it - you won't regret it! Our small group all had great results (weight loss and inches off). More importantly, I think, we learned a lot, and left NuBeginnings with the tools we need to carry on in a healthy way. We have also been given access to a website with recipes, meal plans, etc. and Jennie will be checking in with us by phone for a few weeks, if we need some support.

Dave and Jennie, keep up the great work that you do, and thank you for a most enjoyable week.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 23498y8
NuBeginnings, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time your review of NuBeginnings. Needless to say the team is delighted you enjoyed yourself so much.

Most importantly congratulations on your marvellous results and I wish you every good wish for your continued success.

Jennie will be in touch with you every week over the next two months (as usual) so I look forward to hearing how you are doing.

Thank you again for writing your review. I really appreciate it. When future guests read this they know it has been written by someone experiencing the same problems as they are and that makes all the difference.

middlesbrough
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I will keep this short as I never write reviews, however one review on here has incensed me. I stayed here in November 2010 (had to pick 2012) and had many problems, grossly overweight, almost bed bound and weighing in around 30 stones. My level of fitness was appalling and I collapsed on the first day from a short walk.
I told them I really wanted to make it through the week and Dave and Jenny moved heaven and earth to help me. Dave personally found different routes for me to walk and walked with me along them, the coaches worked with me virtually one to one and by the end of the week I was a different person. Jenny called me often afterwards to see how I was doing and offered me so much support. Nubeginnings for me was Dave and Jenny, so to read someones comments on here blatantly slating them to get discount is appalling. I am now just under 22 stone and running and training regularly, eating much healthier and still following the lessons learned through hypnosis, NLP and physio. Thank You guys for getting me on the right path.

Room Tip: Do it! Just go there and change your life forever.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank b2035462
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you so much for writing your review of NuBeginnings. Firstly and most importantly congratulations on losing over 100lbs in weight since coming to stay with us. That is wonderful. Well done you!
I shall pass on your comments to Dave and Jennie - I know they will be thrilled that you appreciated their care and attention. The whole team works very hard to make sure every guest enjoys their stay whatever their size, age or fitness levels.
Congratulations again and thank you again.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

NuBeginnings is the perfect place to escape reality and really focus on yourself and your goals. The experience is challenging but so very rewarding. No only do you feel better after only one week, but you also learn enough so that you can keep feeling great when you get home. I can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Kathryn P
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Kathryn,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay so much and congratulations on your hard work and wonderful results.
We will be in touch very soon to support you as you continue to succeed now that you are back home.
Thank you again for sharing your story - it really makes a difference.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Imagine the impossible place. A perfect sanctuary for you to improve physically and mentally. Imagine everything it would take to really be the place of your dreams. You would need the best of the best in personal trainers, sports therapists, NLP coaches, hiking guides, managers, chefs... The food would have to be great, grown locally even, and it would have to be in a beautiful setting of course, and everyone would have to be there 24/7 so you didn't have to think about anything other than yourself and your wellbeing. Sounds too good to be true, but it isn't. This is the place.

I spent two weeks here in june and I fell in love with its devotion to making people reach their full potential. NuBeginnings is all about you, your health, and your time. From the moment you arrive you are completely taken care of by extremely friendly and competent staff. The rooms in the victorian mansion are absolutely beautiful. My view was a zen-lovers dream with crooked pine trees and the town below. A gentle knock on the door wakes you up every morning. You are fed, trained, massaged, coached and nurtured. The chef prepares wonderful meals that are extremely good for you, and you will need every single one of them, because you WILL work hard. From morning to evening.

If you have zero or a hundred lbs to lose makes no difference. These people have seen everything under the sun. They are the best in their field, and they will make you feel very comfortable. At first... Then stiff, sore and proud! :D The workouts are brilliant fun and very varied. The full day hikes takes you all over the countryside to spectacular scenery in protected areas. You will sweat on the beach, spot wild horses on the highlands, meet unforgettable people and watch your belly shrink from day to day.

Just go. Now. I can't make it any simpler than that, and you are wasting valuable time reading reviews :D

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Siri P
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Siri,
Gosh - what can I say??

Thank you for such a glowing and lovely review. I have read this to the whole team and they are thrilled to hear you are doing so well.

I think your review says it all so thank you again for sharing your experience.