“Weekend Break 13th to 16th Sept 2013.”
Review of The Osborne Hotel

The Osborne Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Yet another great weekend at a great hotel. Have been visiting The Cox family for around five years now both as a coach driver and as a guest...My recent trip was with 13 long standing friends from Tamworth in Staffordshire. It was their first visit and it made such an impact that I had to book again for a week in May 2014. Always looked after by the family and as I heard a chap say at the weekend, As soon as you walk through the doors your name may just as well be Cox. I couldn't agree more. Thanks to Sandy Nick Stuart Sue and all the friendly staff...I'm there again this weekend in a working capacity...get the kettle on..

Room Tip: I've never had cause o complain about any of the room I've slept in and there have been a fe...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dave S

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great hotel. Make you feel welcome ideal spot 5 min from beach and shops even closer. Would definately come here again!!! Food was really good and restaurant service was fast. Entertainment in the hotel was good although not my cup of tea. Friendly was of staff make you feel welcome

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Osborne Hotel is a lot of fun. The building is 4 large Victorian seaside houses long ago knocked together and converted into a very large spacious hotel. The family that runs it has owned and run it for many years and they know how to make their guests feel welcome and enjoy their stay and they couldn't be more helpful. Our room was on the top floor - we didn't use the lift, the kids enjoyed running through the hotel it wasn't too far although saying that you wouldn't want to forget something and have to go back up again!. It was a family room and fitted the four of us comfortably. There was always plenty of hot water, a good powerful shower too. The room was kept very clean, the tea & coffee was available each day.
Apparently there was parking around the back but I easily found a spot on the street outside for the car. All of Ilfracombe is easily walkable from here. Not least Tunnel Beaches across the road and the LandmarkTheatre just 3 mins away. And its very easy to drive to the main road to makes trips further afield in North Devon.
In the evenings there was entertainment in the bar, karaoke, singers, guitarists. The entertainment was more aimed towards an older generation but most of the songs are well known to everyone so our our two young boys enjoyed themselves - joining in the singing, and instruments - maracas, tambourines and bongos were handed out for the kids to play along.
If I go to Ilfracombe again I'll definitely stay at The Osborne.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank themantheman
osborneIlfracombe, Owner at The Osborne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Thank you for your review. Its nice to see you and your family enjoyed your stay here. I can't help but find it confusing when two families who have used the same room practically one after the other can have such differing views of the room , the hotel and its facilities! It was lovely to get to know you and your family and we hope it won't be too long before we see you all again.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Recently stayed here with my family, we had 2 family rooms on the 4th floor.. OMG the lift was like one of those scary ones out of a horror film... and then there was still another flight of stairs to walk up. the hotel itself is straight from the 60`s with the woodchip paper, pattern carpets, and peach/avocado bathrooms, and the bedroom furniture too.. there was a television in the room, which was the size of my Ipad.. (yes honestly) so quite hard to see from the bed! the beds were ok slightly hard for my taste, but at least the matress was not lumpy, room fairly clean, but not brilliant, and there were tea and coffee making facilities..

They had entertainment in the evening, which we popped into have a look at after a meal out. I thought we had walked into a morgue!! do people not enjoy themselves on holiday?? everyone looked miserable!!! the guitar player/singer was good to be fair, but songs from the 60`s is a bit before my time!!

And now to breakfast.. 8.30 to 9am.. I had visions of all the OAPS jamming up the lift, as it only takes 3 at a time, and I thought we would miss our slot, if we waited for the lift, so we used the stairs, by the time we got down, the room was packed with the coach parties.. who all looked at us as we came in! hmm, Steven was looking after us, and did a great job, very nice man.. we had cereals and toast juice and coffee, which was all bought over for you, then a cooked breakfast consisting of 1 fried egg 1 quarter of fried bread, 1 sausage 1 rasher of bacon, and fried new potatoes and a fried tomato it was very nicely cooked, but I missed some mushrooms and beans!....do check your sugar canister, as we found grains of rice in ours, which ended up on the cereal. it was changed when we told the waiter..

I also noticed smokers sitting out the front, which as a non smoker I didn`t like.

I found other staff to be ok.. but I wouldn't describe them as friendly..felt it was very much a case off`Got to look after the coach parties`

I think if you are part of a coach party (and over 55+)then yes its an ideal hotel for that, but if you are a couple or a family, I would stay elsewhere...would I stay again? .. sadly no.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank angelcake71
Reviewed August 17, 2013

5 day break with Torquay Travel. Hotel clean and staff very friendly. Nick was brilliant with the entertainment every evening. Food very good with plenty of choice. Nice walk to the harbour but steep hills into the town. Would recommend.

Room Tip: We were in Room 3 - on the front - bay window -which was large and a nice bathroom - although you we...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The hotel is in a great location in Ilfracombe - can't fault that at all. The small beach and harbour there are less than 10 minutes walk and there are lots of nice restaurants and walks nearby. The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful - they couldn't do enough for us! It did state there was a car park but this turned out to be only 3 spaces. This was full when we got there but they were kind enough to let us park in their garage which we were more than happy about! We felt the hotel is quite outdated...although I understand having modern decor inside an old building wouldn't look right, updating the curtains and showers would be an improvement. My mum and I had a twin room and it was spotless - so couldn't fault that either. We ran out of toilet roll though and they didn't seem to want to give us any more! One thing that bothered me quite a lot was the breakfast times - you only have a 30 minute window from 0830 - 0900 which for me being on holiday was far too early. I understand the hotel caters a lot for coach parties which it may suit - but I found it disappointing that I had to be downstairs for 0900 otherwise I didn't get any breakfast. Saying that though, the food was lovely and perfectly cooked so if you can make it downstairs you will enjoy it! It also stated that there was a sauna but we never saw that so I'm not sure if the activities list needs updating?! This may not bother other people but as a non smoker, I was not impressed to have to walk through a cloud of smoke everytime I walked in the front doors. We didn't once walk into the hotel (or out) without walking through a crowd of visitors smoking outside the main doors - it also means that the smell lingers inside the hotel. It's a shame as it's a nice looking hotel but I think it makes it look a bit tacky. Overall though, we did have a very pleasant stay and certainly would go back to the area again. Thank you to the staff for your friendly attitude and assistance, you made it a very pleasant stay :o)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Glittergirl785
osborneIlfracombe, Owner at The Osborne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thanks Glittergirl785 for your review. We're glad to see that on the whole you and your mum enjoyed your stay here. It's always nice to receive postitve appreciation and recognition for all the hard work our staff team put into making our guests feel welcome and their stay here a happy one.
As the owners we always welcome constructive criticism and we have taken on board your views regarding times of breakfast and the smoking area and are now looking at suitable, feasable changes we can make to both these areas. However I should state though that we do have a sauna and had you have asked any member of staff they would have shown you where it was and how to use it! The decor of a hotel is always a difficult one to get right as most of the time its the individuals personal taste that influences their likes or dislikes. As you state with our hotel we do have to take into consideration the age of the building and its character whilst meeting the needs of todays traveller. Over the past few years we have carried out extensive refurbishment around the hotel and have plans to carry on with further alterations in the very near future.
We hope to see you both again in the future as you say Ilfracombe and its surrounding area are beautiful and worthy of repeat visits.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Ok so the rooms are a bit dated and there are a lot of stairs but its clean and all the staff are very friendly. Everything you could need is provided, The food is really good and the place just oozes character.We had 2 nights stay and enjoyed the evening entertainment,Nick one of the owners kept us well entertainer with his quirky tunes and his many jokes... my ribs are still hurting from all the laughter. Our bed was really comfortable the only thing that kept me awake was the noise of the seagulls and the pigeons that roost outside the window on the 4th floor. A great time was had by us all and we would certainly go again.

Room Tip: choose a lower floor if your a light sleeper as the pigeons that roost outside the window get up qui...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends