The Osborne Hotel
Westaway(Ilfracombe)
Beechwood Hotel(Ilfracombe)
The Darnley Hotel(Ilfracombe)
View Hotel
All reviewsa family run hotelfantastic weekendturkey and tinselmince piescoach tripbit datedbar managerevening entertainmentcoach partyvaried menunight porterbreakfast was includedowners and staffon arrivalnothing is too much troublecentral heatingweekend break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Just returned from a weeks tour to the Osborne hotel in Ilfracombe. We arrived June 2 to a huge warm welcome from Sandy. The guests were given a relaxed cuppa whilst the cases were dealt with by the girls YES the girls. Once unloaded i was given my parking pass and proceeded to the coach park. On return i was asked if i would like a cuppa but just wanted to get freshened up. I found my room , very nice double . (unusual for a driver to get a decent room in any hotel).
Dinner was very good, Entertainment was hosted by the Owner Nick (hes a nutter in the nicest sense ) He was always on hand for anything the guests required. Entertainment was provided each evening starting with bingo. A live band, Dancing, Guitar vocalist etc . All the guests on the coach thoroughly enjoyed their stay. The interior or the hotel is very cosy with dark beams and old ilfracombe photos and pictures. In short, everyone including myself were looked after very well . Highly recommend the Osborne for a very warm and friendly relaxed stay.
Well done Nick, Sandy and staff. 43 years and counting. Well Done !!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dave S
osborneIlfracombe, Owner at The Osborne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Nice to read your review Dave. With your job we know you stay in a lot of hotels and appreciate your comments arer based on a wealth of experience in the trade. Thanks for your positive feedback and hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Our visit was part of a coach trip to Ilfracombe.

Our arrival was a warm one with Nick climbing on board the coach and announcing that there was a nice cup of tea waiting for us.

We have never seen anyone work so hard as Nick the Manager/Owner of the Osbourne Hotel.
No matter what time of day he seemed to be in one guise or another.
From helping in the kitchen to his great talent which is the entertainment side of things,he always seems to be there with a big smile on his face.

Value for money? Yes!

Okay,we have stayed at more uptodate places (And paid for the privilige!)
We have have also stayed in much worse. (and also paid for the privilige!)

The Osbourne offers a good honest service.

They are not pretending to be the best in the world.

Our only fear? That Nick will be on holiday when we next visit.
Saying that we know it's not a one man show and background staff are just as important than anyone else.

Looking forward to our next visit in the near future.

P & M.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pedro689

Thanks Pedro for your review. Your positive comments were greatly received. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went to The Osborne Hotel on a Bank Holiday weekend ... we went in could straight away see that the Hotel was dated, I nearly went straight out, but the receptionist was very welcoming and accommodating, we looked at the room before we said yes, the room was as I often expect from British Hotels particularly Victorian sea side Hotels, its dated but clean.
The family were brilliant in accommodating our motorbike safely and were chatty and informative, what it lacks in Décor it more than makes up in personality. The breakfast was lovely and they even started it early for us as we had an early appointment. You wont get that from a chain. Would I go again... yes and I have to say when I first walked in I would have said no.... so if you don't go expecting bland brand hotels and expect family charm you will love it

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jacqui7206
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Just returned from a coach weekend away at the Osbourne, our stay was excellent. Nick was always on hand to help with anything, the staff were great and the room and food were to a high standard.
As an extra bonus we even had superb weather!
We look forward to a return visit.

Many thanks to all.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ratherbegolfing367
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I visited Ilfracombe in early May 2013 and we were let down by the weather (and the other passengers to be fair...).

The hotel is clean, tidy and has lots of info about what to do and where to go around and about the place. The staff were friendly and helpful but there seemed to be dogs (belonging to staff) everywhere which I found a bit disconcerting - I'm sure other people would love it.

The hotel is brilliantly situated! Right across the road from the Tunnels Beaches and the Torrs walk and about five minutes from a lovely beach and the theatre. Probably ten minutes briskish walk from the harbour (can't recommend the harbour in the evening or at night - something really needs to be done about the boy racers and general chaviness but that's not the hotel's fault).

My room was seriously tiny - like a box. It was clean and there was tonnes of storage but no bedside table which I honestly didn't think would be that much of an issue but it was... The shower was brilliant and the standard of cleaning was great but I put my towel in the shower to be replaced on the last day and it wasn't replaced (to save money??). The room had an atrocious view - the back of somebody else's hotel I think.

The dinners were fine - not fine dining like everybody said but enough of it and good choices each time. Not enough meringues for my liking! The local sausages in cider sauce were a particular highlight. :) There were those little longlife pots of cream for the coffee at the end of dinner instead of fresh cream or milk which was a little disappointing. The drinks at the bar were overpriced even at happy hour (£4.50 or so for a large(ish) glass of wine).

I didn't stay for the entertainment but caught little bits of it at the end of the night. A little old fashioned for my taste (Lipstick on Your Collar was the one song I remember).

The only time I tried to go in the sauna, it was closed and nobody about to ask about it so I gave up.

Now we get to the crux I think. The owners go on and on about holidaymakers being 'part of the family' which I'm sure lots of people think is fine - I found it a bit creepy and the owners obviously thought it gave them free reign to discard their filters. On the last day I was treated to a speech about how brill Nigel Farage is... Wow. I felt incredibly uncomfortable and would have much preferred the owners to keep any UKIP leanings to themselves - ymmv.

Having read the review through, it sounds very negative but actually I went for a place to lay my head and to eat some food and for that it was fine. It wasn't however, a place I felt comfortable hanging around.

Room Tip: Not room number 5!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank EleanorB62
osborneIlfracombe, Owner at The Osborne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Thank you for your review. We were pleased to see that you were happy with 'most' of your stay here. Howerver, on reading your review, there were a few comments which we as the owners of the hotel felt we should respond to.
Room 5 the bedroom you stayed in is of a standard sinlge room size and funnily enough a returning guest has just requested that room for their next stay here. We are a family of dog owners and dog lovers. The only dog who is a regular visitor to the hotel is Dolly, Sandy's dog. If her presence offended you then we applogize. You are right though, majority of our guests do love her and are very disappointed when she goes home at lunchtime each day.
Your final comment regarding the UKIP speech given to you by a family member provided us all with confusion as none of us were even aware who NIgel Farage was until we received your review! We are not in the habit of discussing our political views with our guests. Perhaps it was a case of mistaken identity!
Any dislikes or negative experiences you've had whilst here at the hotel, we hope don't hinder your enjoyment of any future holidays you may have.