“Just awful sorry”

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
adamdavi3s
“Just awful sorry”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I had the unfortunate Displeasure of staying here for a wedding.
Firstly let me say my experience is based on a stay in the "basement" (rooms 9-15) I had friends staying upstairs and the quality was better, the superior room just about meets what I would expect as a minimum!

Firstly let me say that the staff were very friendly and helpful I have nothing bad to say in that respect at all.
Also the shower in my room was hot with good pressure, which I needed to wake me up.
The bed was tiny but reasonably comfortable and the bed linin was at least clean

However:
The first thing that struck me was the not so faint stench of cabbage on the way to, and in the room. I can only guess to the source of this...

The second striking feature was the Compact nature of the room, the corridor down just wide enough to fit down with a sachel and suit bag, although the ill fitting loose carpet nearly caught me out. The elegant placement of the bed giving me just enough room to walk around it without banging my knees on the bed or wall too many times.

The furniture also gave me a nice reminder of my childhood, white flat pack with a slight hint of yellow and flaking chipboard.

The bathroom had a quaint uneven floor with ill fitting Lino (I'm glad it was lino as it was impossible to fill the kettle in the sink so there was some obvious spillage while using a glass to fill it) , but with just enough room to turn around... With the door open. The shower also provided an intriguing insight into some pretty rare and exotic plant species...

The single glazing also let me enjoy the pleasurable sounds of downtown Ilfracombe... All night.

I also enjoyed being woken at 6am by the sound of my neighbour coming through the wall, well that was my initial thought, as it transpired he was simply turning on his light.

The car crash of a breakfast I will leave to your imagination...

I'm sorry but I got this room for £60 as a 'good deal'... Had I paid a penny more I would have demanded my money back and slept in my car... It would have been quieter....

• Stayed July 2012
Michael R, Owner at Ilfracombe Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2015
Thank you for taking time to review. On behalf of the previous Owners.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Calne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We went to Ilfracombe on a sun holiday, could not stay in the acomandation that we had. So found this hotel on a website and read the reviews and booked it. Took a chance and turned up at the hotel early morning, check in time was not meant to be until 3pm. I just wanted to park in their own car park and walk around the town. Spoke to a very nice man on reception explained our story and he was great. He made us feel very welcome and told us the room was ready and we could check in now :) we were so happy. The room was clean and tidy and fresh towels provided every day and tea, milk and coffee with maid service, breakfast was cooked well and plenty of choice. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Thank you too the Carlton for turning around a weekend break. That we thought was going to be a disaster. Highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for the recommendation Jon. On behalf of the previous Owners.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Excellent beds, showers and breakfast. Location good, recommend the nearby bistro for evening meal. Room a little small, difficult to access wardrobe. Bar needed renovating (which I think there are plans to do). Very friendly, very clean and overall would recommend

Room Tip: Possible that other rooms are more roomy than the one we had. We were on the ground floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. On behalf of the previous Owners.
Yeovil
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed Fiday-Monday.B.B./E meal.Nice cheerfull Staff.Rooms very clean.Breakfast good but sadly the set evening meal was a let down.Also experienced a lot of late night noise from the street and the windows rattled in the wind.Could do with double glazing and a lick of paint.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review Nev. On behalf of the previous Owners.
Witney, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I have been visiting the Carlton for several years as part of a group enjoying the excellent Clay Shooting facilities in the area. Ilfracombe is a perfect base for us and the Carlton delivers great service and excellent value. The management and staff couldn't do more to make us welcome. This is why we return year after year.
The location is perfect, just minutes walk to the centre of town with it's wealth of pubs and restaurants. It is also much on the same level as the seafront, so no uphill walk back.
We only do B&B, so I can't comment on the evening meals, but breakfast is very good. Parking is available at the front of the Hotel

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review Stuart. On behalf of the previous Owners.
Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel to the rudest manageress. The man behind the desk even looked taken back with how rude she was to customers.
She was belittling and disengaging, I am unsure why this was, which was even more unsettling.
Unfortunately due to this treatment the hotel didn't sparkle for myself and my friend.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Omni_lil07
Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. On behalf on the previous owners.
Cornwall
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in April. Two female receptionists greeted us and although we were slightly early for check in they made the effort of finding out if our room was available for us. Room was quite small but lovely and clean and well supplied with tea and coffee that was replenished everyday, also clean towels daily. Food was very good and plentiful with a wide variety of dishes.
Although the outside of this hotel looks rather tied do not let this put you off, as the friendliness of ALL staff is second to none. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to review this hotel Sharon. On behalf of the previous Owners.