“Lovely, friendly hotel with good food”

Duke of Gordon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kingussie
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Lovely, friendly hotel with good food”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Four nights dinner, bed and breakfast at the end of October as part of a coach group. Hotel was clean and comfortable and the staff, especially in the restaurant, couldn't have been more welcoming. We enjoyed all the food - plentiful, interesting and good choice.We would be happy to return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank paulandvalerie
DukeofGordonHotel, General Manager at Duke of Gordon Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Duke of Gordon Hotel.

Thank you for your kind words and comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the highlands again in the future.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Have just returned from a 6 day Christmas break at The Duke of Gordon. Lovely hotel, comfortable, warm and welcoming. Log fires and huge Christmas trees. We arrived late on 22nd December and the evening meal had been delayed for us, so, tired and weary though we were, we were able to sit down to and excellent meal. Throughout our stay the food was very good and plentiful with ample choice to suit every palette. The breakfasts were wonderful and the 5 course evening meals all well presented and of a high standard. The only small complaint (from many others as well) was the 'finger buffet' on Christmas night...stodgy bread rolls with very little filling, some unidentifiable mini quiches,chocolate muffins (dry) and danish pastries....which all tasted as if they had been made many hours before....however I accept that the chefs had worked hard to produce a Christmas lunch and they were all due a break. The buffet on Christmas eve was a triumph with every conceivable cold meat and an endless variety of salads. The snow turned Kingussie into a winter wonderland and certainly enhanced the whole Christmas experience. Thank you to all the staff who worked so hard to make our stay so enjoyable. We hope to return.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have lovely views. Top floor not served by lift so opt for a lower floor if you...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pat H
Thank you for taking the time to review the Duke of Gordon Hotel.

Thank you for your kind words and comments. We do our best to have a family atmosphere at the hotel throughout the year but especially at Christmas and Hogmanay. Fortunately we are blessed, living where we do there is every chance of a white Christmas and so far the last few years have not disappointed. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Duke again in the future.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Enjoyed four nights DBB at end Nov 13. Rooms were adequate and really cosy . Breakfasts and dinners were good content and promptly served . Young staff were cheery and helpful . Hotel was busy with bus parties but that added to the atmosphere and filled the dance floor in the evenings

Room Tip: There was an annoying noise comingthrough the walls which we should have complained about it could h...
2 Thank AYJAYBE
Thank you for taking the time to review the Duke of Gordon Hotel.

Thank you for your kind words and comments. I apologise that the noise of the lift disturbed you. It is unfortunate that it can be heard in the room you occupied but I hope it did not detract too much from your enjoyment. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Duke of Gordon again in the future.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

My husband and I were with a party of approximately 30 for a Christmas and Mistletoe break being held at this hotel.

What impressed us straight away was that the bedroom was a good size and overlooked the gardens across the road. The inbuilt wardrobes housed a true gent's one with shelves down one side, which is unusual to find.

The round tables with candle lit candelabra made a lovely setting for our five course meals, including coffee.

We were booked in for 4 nights with entertainment every evening in the ballroom for those wishing to participate. However, the large log fire proved too much of an attraction for some and with plenty of comfortable chairs around, who could blame them.

The chefs put on a truly wonderful buffet on our last evening and nothing seemed to be too much bother for the staff - both those serving and behind the desk.

My husband and I will certainly book into the Duke of Gordon in the future.

Room Tip: My husband and I occupied Room 425 which, as I said, had a very pleasant view with a balcony running...
1 Thank Grace C
Thank you for taking the time to review the Duke of Gordon Hotel.

Thank you for your kind words and comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the highland again in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Called in advance to make enquiry about availability of a room for that evening. Very helpful receptionist said they had a room free and it was priced at under £50 for B & B.

When I arrived at this v large hotel (well for Kingussie it is) I saw a number of coaches in the otherwise deserted car park. I now knew what sort of hotel it was!!! Sure enough when I went to reception the hotel was very busy and the dining room was packed. Great business to have I'm sure at the end of November. Same helpful and friendly receptionist booked me in and gave me the keys to my room. The room was eventually found when I got to the attic...........no lift to the attic only stairs. This was one of the smallest rooms I have ever stayed in. Not really up to scratch for a 'Highland Hotel'. Tiny single bed with very thin, old duvet, scruffy bathroom and thinnest towels I've ever seen. Tiny 12/14 inch TV, my lap top has a larger screen!!!!

Ventured downstairs however dinner was out of the question as the dining room was packed with the travelers from the coaches.

Retired to my room after some nosh from the local pub.

Wakened very early to sound of washing machines running in what I thought to be the next door room. I was in room 35@ Not quite sure why washing machines need to be run, if that's what they were, at 7.00am!! Oh and there was a strong whiff of dogs in the corridor in which my room was located.

Breakfast was OK, but nothing special. Again very helpful staff, but please drop the 'Thank you Madame' remember it's a Scottish Highland hotel, not one in the Swiss Alps

Good points:
Available at short notice; powerful hot shower and very helpful and polite receptionist.
Poor points:
Room standards v poor and maybe a slightly larger TV, new bed, new towels and better quality duvet and bedding.

Would I stay again: No. If perhaps you had not given me the smallest room in the hotel I might have considered staying again. Remember if you offer guests the very smallest room which has obviously missed out on any recent decoration and no new beds, etc that's what I think your entire hotel is like, which I'm sure its not.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the attic beginning 35....
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank RegularTraveler1001
Thank you for taking the time to review the Duke of Gordon Hotel.

I am sorry that you were not happy at the hotel and with the facilities we offered you. As you have mentioned the hotel was busy at the time and you were given one of the last rooms available. Dinner is served in the main restaurant for majority of the hotel residents, however, we also have a lounge bar that has a bar menu and offers a more relaxed atmosphere that we would have been happy for you to use. I do hope that you will visit us again.

Tyne & Wear
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This was our first visit to Duke of Gordon whereas quite a few other couples were returning after a previous visit or visits. Of those revisiting, many were disappointed overall because standards had dropped since their previous visits - primarily the food.

I can only go on my observations. Many reviews have praised the hotel amenities and I have no problems with those reviews - indeed I think the dining room is one of the best my wife and I have ever experienced on coach holidays; truly a splendid room in which to dine. No faults with the staff either.

We have only two complaints: the planned excursions and the presentation of the meals.

The excursions were poor. In one instance the first destination was an EWM (Edinburgh Woolen Mlll outlet at Spean Bridge; followed by a visit to Fort Augustus where the highlight was The Clansman Centre - if you were willing to pay an entrance fee of £6 or so. Those that didn't (or wouldn't) fork out the fee had to make their own way for one and a half hours in a closed town as it was out-of-season. The length of time to get to these places by coach did not justify the end result.

Our views on the food: the hotel seems to buy in quality produce but the cooking and presentation is failing to meet expectations. We feel the cook (not a chef by any stretch of the imagination) needs to be replaced promptly if the hotel wishes to assure some of those who vowed never to return. So many times we heard that the standard was "not the same". Two examples: roast potatoes that were so tough on the outer surface that the only edible part was the soft interior; and sprouts that looked grey (presumably as a result of being boiled hours before being served). Lack of thought in presentation was another failing: eg, an appealing fillet of salmon served with the above luckless sprouts!! Salmon and sprouts??? God in Heaven!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Duke of Gordon Hotel.

It is disappointing that you did not enjoy your visit to the hotel and the area. I have discussed your comments with Chef with regard to the meals and we will endeavour to make improvements. With regard to sprouts being served with the Salmon dish; The salmon was one of the choices on the 'Christmas dinner' menu served on one of the evenings. Sprouts were part of the vegetable choice served to each table. I am sorry that you were not offered an alternative at the time but assure you that we would happily change any aspect of the meal if a guest is not happy.

It is unfortunate that you did not go to the 'Clansman Centre'. This is a popular tourist attraction that tells the story of the Jacobite rebellion led by Bonnie Price Charlie in the 18th Century, leading to the massacre at Culloden and the start of the Highland clearances. There are many artefacts on display and practical demonstrations of weaponry and costume. Sadly many of the attractions and castles close for the winter which poses a problem to your tour operators. This does mean that at times daily excursions do have to travel further than they would at other times of the year. However one of the advantages of this is that you get to experience the land scape and natural beauty that is the Highlands.

I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting the highlands again and spending time in one of the few unspoilt wildernesses in the UK. Thank you for your comments regarding the team here at the Duke it is always nice for them to be recognised for the hard work they do and to know they are appreciated for their efforts.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were a group of 36 and had a wonderful time based at the Duke of Gordon Hotel for a Mountains and Mistletoe Autumn Break. We were all made most welcome by all staff.. The hotel is very comfortable throughout with a lovely log fire in the reception / sitting area and free wifi for those who like to use that. The meals were very good and well presented (considering that the dining room was full with other groups). Good entertainment at night and the drinks were very reasonably priced. We will certainly be putting it on our list of places to return to in future.

A grand place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Duke of Gordon Hotel.

your kind words and comments are very much appreciated by all of the team.

Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingussie
Columba House Hotel
Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Carrbridge

Been to Duke of Gordon Hotel? Share your experiences!