“Short break with elderly parents”
Review of The Star Hotel

The Star Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Kingussie
Perth, United Kingdom
“Short break with elderly parents”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Just spent a three day break with elderly parents at Star hotel. As they are both 89 years old and not very mobile it was nice to get a ground floor room for them. They were happy with their room and although it was in the annex there was only one step up into back door of the hotel which they could manage. My husband and I were also happy with our room.

The food was delicious. Good choice at evening meal and very well presented. Hearty breakfast really set us up for the day!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Star M, General Manager at The Star Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you so much we enjoyed the time you spent with us - your parents were lovely people!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Fort William
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I use this hotel for all of my visits to Badenoch area, mainly through work related. Can't praise this hotel enough. Excellent food with generous portions and very friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are very comfortable. The bar is very reasonably priced and it proves very popular with the locals too. I've no hesitation in recommending this Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LuckyBFortWilliam
Thank you so much for your review - I look forward to your next visit.

Mhairi Moffat
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We got a very good deal for a 2 night stay at The Star Hotel, so our expectations were not very high. Our expectations were met when we first arrived and went to our room. It was very small (bathroom door could not fully open due to hitting the bed) with tatty decor and very faded bedding. The bathroom was also tiny and the glass light shade was broken. The curtains were too thin so the street lights lit the room through the night. The bed was hard and we could feel the springs from the mattress. There were 2 rooms either side of us and we could hear snoring from the next door room. On the Saturday night there was a birthday party going on in the function room very close to our room and even with the television up at the maximum volume we could not block out the sounds of Show Me the Way to Amarillo and similar songs going on until 1am! We also had to walk through the function room (to many disapproving and puzzled looks from the guests of the party) when the party was in full flow to get to our room! It was all rather embarrassing and we felt a prior warning from the staff that this was going to be the case would certainly have been appreciated.

On the plus side, the room and bathroom were clean and the shower was hot and reasonably powerful. The breakfast was hot and well cooked. The staff were mostly very pleasant and polite, although some of the serving staff looked quite stressed and unhappy. The bar was nice and friendly and although the entertainment was not to our taste, it was well done and quite enjoyable.

In summary, if you're strapped for cash and want somewhere clean just to rest your head before exploring the highlands, then The Star might be for you, but be warned that it is very noisy at the weekend and you're unlikely to get much sleep!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lou164
Star M, General Manager at The Star Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We have only very recently taken over The hotel and the rooms will be refurbished very soon.
I apologise for you not being told about the party.
I am glad that you found the staff pleasant and the rooms clean.

Travelers are raving about these Kingussie hotels

Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I went here to have a nice dinner with my family. I was recommend to come here by a friend as she heard it was good.. She was terribly wrong. We got in around 7.15. We were sitting down waiting until finaly someone came over and took our order. As most if the menu was chicken you can imagine most of my family chose chicken. We were then informed that by 7.25 they had run out of chicken. Now there was hardly anybody else in there and there is a co operative just a few seconds down the road so we asked if they could go and get some chicken for us. After that charade we were looking forward to have a lovely meal. We got out dinner an hour and a half later at around 8.50 and one of my family members did t get there's until 9.00. As you can imagine we were all starving by this time! The meal was awful and some could hardly eat it. My family members got the tinyest piece of chicken I have ever seen in my life! We payed half price for the dinner as it was just atrocious. I will NEVER be coming back here again i advise you not to come and to go somewhere better.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank ScottishGal12
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I remember this night well and I have to admit it was a bit chaotic as the dining room was full - some off your family have been in previously and I am sure they had enjoyed their meals so I hope you can accept my apologies for your bad experience with us.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Avoid room 12. Right above the bar . Especillay noisy when there having a pub quiz. room matresses rock hard. Springs were poking through. After 1 night got a change of room no problem. No complaints about 2nd room. Food lovely .Staff lovely.
AVOID ROOM 12 !!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 12
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
edinburgh
Reviewed April 30, 2013

ive stayed in the star hotel many times i also take mini bus with 17 people not had a bad time yet staff all been very good the meals the last time i was there where a lot better george malcolm did very well justed booked 3 day break for june

Room Tip: you should only been in to sleep in
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ronald b
Thank you for your review - we all enjoyed having your group to stay with us and look forward to your next visit. I am sure George Malcolm will also be delighted that you enjoyed his fantastic music. Thank You Again.
Scotland
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Don't go to room on the top flat. 39 steps to climb. Room comfy, but fluffy blankets and cold nose in the morning as heating if off during the night.
Scary as fire escape door left open as staff had fags there. Room very near staff rooms so because of noise slept only one night out of three when staff away on the third night.

Fire in lounge bar which looked welcoming on a cold day.
Singer in bar fine.

Room Tip: Don't really know as lower rooms heard music from bar.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Notperfect
Star M, General Manager at The Star Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. When we discussed the issue with the fire door being open I did explain to you that it was another guest and NOT a member off staff that was using the fire door to smoke at. Our heating is turned off at night just now but had you said I could have provided you with a heater - I am sure you know that we all at The Star want you to be comfortable while you are here. If your back next year with your group then I will make sure your more comfortable.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingussie
The Scot House Hotel and Restaurant
#3 of 3 in Newtonmore
The Craiglynne Hotel
The Craiglynne Hotel
#7 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey

Been to The Star Hotel? Share your experiences!