“Nice trip”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Kingussie
Leeds
“Nice trip”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The staff were very friendly and the rooms were clean. I think the decor could be more modern but that is just a matter of personal taste. We are looking to go back for New Year's Eve as I don't think there is anywhere better to be than Scotland at that time of year. We didn't try the food, but my brother said that it was good, which is praise indeed as he is a fussy eater. One small gripe was that the lighting in the room could have been better, and this is one point the owners might want to improve

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charles K
Star M, General Manager at The Star Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased you want to come back and stay with us.
It is our intention to refurbish all of the hotel in the future so we will resolve the lighting issue.

Mhairi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Prestonpans, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Celebrated New Year for my 20th Year and the new management were very good and friendly the new menu in restaurant was excellent and entertainment good looking forward to my stay during the year before next new year celebrations. Were a bit wary when we new the hotel had been taken over but we had nothing to worry about thank you Mhairi and staff for a fabulous holiday as we usually have. Looking forward to seeing you all again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Janet C
Mhairi3842, General Manager at The Star Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
It is always nice when people take the time to send a review - Thank you very much for your comments I am pleased that you are getting the standard of service and quality that you have grown to expect. We hope we can improve on this and continue to make your stay with us pleasant. I will pass your comments onto all the staff at the Star. Mhairi
Kirriemuir, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Just back from a very enjoyable xmas break with my Dad and his partner. Where do i start..... Mhairi and her staff are great and nothing too much trouble. Food was lovely with a varied choice on the menu. Bedrooms were very clean and comfortable. Looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank helenmc555
Thank you Helen for this lovely review - I will pass your message onto the staff and we look forward to you all visiting again very soon .
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We are amazed to read the reviews for our beloved Star Hotel - we have been regular guests for 23 years, we went in late October for one of our annual visits an we were a bit wary of what might be in front of us with the hotel having been sold. We need not have worried in the slightest our stay was as pleasant as it always was. We personally loved the changes in the meal times giving us much more flexibility to come an go as we wanted. The food was better than before and the staff were as friendly as they always were and Marie the manager was a fantastic host. There was little change in our room but I am sure given time the rooms will change. This for us has always been a home from home and are now relieved to see that it is not going to go out of our budget for a weekend away. Dont be put off by some of the scathing comments and go an enjoy the hospitality that you get for the money you pay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the ballroom if yo dont want noise from the bar
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Caroline M
Star M, General Manager at The Star Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I have passed your comments on to the staff who will continue to make your stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

was looking for somewhere cheap to stay near Aviemore and found this place! the staff were really nice and the bar had a nice local feel to it!. The rooms are quite dated and could do with a refurb but it was clean!. Will defiantly use again when I am up snowboarding!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank StuartF330
Thank you for your review it is always encouraging when people enjoy their stay.
We will through time be refurbishing the rooms you are maybe aware that the purchased by the current owners only in September so it will all take time.

Thank you again.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Was the worst place I have been in a long time different to a few places in scotland.next time I will travel further in order to ensure I get the best place to take a well earner rest people around we're friendly enough but it wasn't the cleanest place I have had to stay at

• Stayed November 2012
7 Thank Adele1999
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad that you found the staff pleasant . If you could phone me at the hotel 01540 661431 please we can discuss your other points as I would hate to think that there was somewhere that had not been cleaned properly.

Thank you again.

Mhairi Moffat

Travelers are raving about these Kingussie hotels

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

stayed 2 nights at this hotel,was highly recomended by friends that had stayed there a few years ago so was very disappointed with what we got. on the Friday the food was so terrible we could not eat it it seemed like it was heated up in a microwave and the choice was very poor who wants to go to a hotel to eat mince and tatties, breakfast was slightly better and the manageress promised a better menu on the satarday night when we went to diner on the saturday we were given the same menu as the night before we were so disgusted we just left and went to the local takeaway, when we got back to our room there was a new menu put under our room door,we went to this hotel to celebrate our 40th wedding aniversary so you can emagine how disappointed we were we never got any kind of appologie , so i would not recommend this hotel to any one. All the good comments you see on this page and their website must be from the previous owners

Room Tip: not the star hotel kingussie
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank dissapionted1234
Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our
hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could
have been.
From my understanding when I talked with you there was in fact nothing wrong with our food but you did not like the choice - the Mince and Tatties we a request as you know from other guests. The gentleman told me his Steak was beautiful. You also raved about our Black Pudding and were going to buy it online when you went home.
Ashley our young waitress was most distressed when she realised that she had given you the wrong menu but you did not give her the chance to explain this. This is why she put the menu under your door.
Most people who have stayed with us since the changeover - have in fact enjoyed their stay and again I can say I am disappointed yours was not enjoyable.

Mhairi Moffat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingussie
The Scot House Hotel and Restaurant
#1 of 3 in Newtonmore
The Cross at Kingussie
The Cross at Kingussie
#2 of 5 in Kingussie

Been to The Star Hotel? Share your experiences!