“Disgusted”
Review of The Star Hotel

The Star Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Kingussie
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Room single size with double bed.
Couldn't open wardrobe doors or bathroom doors fully.(Fouled the bed)
Room cold and damp.Central heating rad cool, and black fungus on wall and ceiling. (we had to borrow a small fan heater)
Room decor tired and 1950s.
We were booked in 2 nights "Dinner, bed and breakfast"
Nice breakfast, but dinner was poor. ((only had dinner in hotel the first night.)
Staff were friendly, but young waitress at dinner didn't know the menu.
We could not recommend this "Hotel" and we would never go back there.
(This is the first time I have ever reviewed a hotel, but don't want others to endure this experience)
Chas. East Kilbride

Room Tip: Chose another hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Chasmac_12
Hotel M, Manager at The Star Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Chasmac_12,
I am extremely sorry for what you have experienced.

We have just purchased the Hotel and are in the process of upgrading the property. Most of the Hotel bedrooms are of a good 2 star standard. We are also in the process of putting new menus and Kitchen Teams in place.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our new breakfast menu using handmade sausages and good quality locally produced produce and we can assure you that our other food offering will be brought up to the same standard.

I would really appreciate it if you were call me on 01397712622 to discuss your stay in full detail or email me your telephone number and I will call you.

Thanks & best regards

Donald Allan

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed 4 nights in Room 8 and found it to be warm an comfortable .The room is basic and could do with redecoration and an upgrade from blankets to duvets on the bed . The bathroom is very small and cramped but is clean and has a good supply of hot water .
The Highland breakfasts were excellent and evening dinners were excellent with good choices and more than ample portions.
The hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful . One major disappointment was the absence of entertainment as advertised in the newspaper. I would not have booked the break if I had known there was no entertainment in the evening.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Piper2589
Star M, General Manager at The Star Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed our hospitality.
The current owners bought the hotel in September and will gradually refurbish all areas within the hotel. Until then I hope you will continue to enjoy your visits with us.

Best Regards

Mhairi Moffat

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just back from 5 days at the Star. This is an old country hotel which still retains many of its original features. Public rooms are fine but bedrooms need redecorating. Staff were very helpfull and food was of a good standard with plenty choice for every meal. There are plenty activities in the area to keep you occupied and buses to take you up as far as Inverness if you want to go and see Nessie
For a 3 star hotel this is very good value for money

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlook the high street and at the back commercial premises
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MethilDave

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are always delighted when guests enjoy their stay with us. As you may have read in some of my other previous responses the new owners will in time refurbish throughout the hotel.
I hope you will continue to visit until then. Our website is kept up to date with all our package deals.

Thank you again.

Mhairi Moffat

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while working in the area. Upon arriving to the hotel it was hard enough to get parked in the tiny parking area, plus the parking place we picked was right in front of a window which apparently was a fire exit therefore we had to move our vehicle forward.

Staff are friendly and helpful which was a plus.. but unfortunately this was the only positive. We took our belongings into the room- well.. to put it bluntly "strategically maneuvered around what could only be frodo baggin's house" then decided it would be a good time to use the facilities to clean up. This consisted of a bathtub of reasonable size, yet no shower? Personally I do not like to bathe in my own dead skin and dirt but to be anywhere close to clean I had to put up with it.

After waking up for work out of the worlds softest bed (soft you say.. but isn't that good? no. too soft..) with a bad back and neck. The lack of shower added further disappointment after my sleep as they don't use duvets only woolen blankets which i shudder to think about the cleanliness of them. Looking forward to a hearty breakfast we walked into the cast of "Cocoon" (good film though.. Dir- Ron Howard 1985) all waiting for breakfast to be ready. We were led to our seats and nearly tripped over a portable heater in the middle of the floor?!

Again I cannot fault the staff as they were attentive and immediately took drinks orders while we browsed the menu. Being vegetarian I have to say I was disappointed by the choice offered.. but decided on the full English (in Scotland?) and gave away the meat to my colleagues. Upon arrival I was disheartened to find half a fried tomato, a quarter of a slice of fried bread, a fried egg and around 3 spoonfuls of beans, with 2 half slices of toast. Back in England I would find the portions to at least be 3 times larger.. although I guessed the portion sizes were due to the market they were aiming for- old age pensioners.

After a day of work I returned and went across the road to the "Café Volante". Word to the wise.. don't bother.. as classy as the name sounds it really isn't.

Back to the point though.. Don't bother with this place... go further down the road to another establishment. I will not use this on a holiday trip!

Room Tip: Just go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank photoshoppedtodeath
Donald A, Manager at The Star Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear photoshoppedtodeath,
I am extremely sorry for what you have experienced at the Star Hotel. We have just purchased the Hotel and would like to assure you that we will take your comments on board. We have recruited a Team of Chefs and are in the process of putting new breakfast, lunch and dinner menus in place of which are all based on excellent locally sourced produce.
Hotel cleanliness and standards are at the top of our list and I can assure you that you would not have the same experience at the Star Hotel if you were to stay with us again.

I am delighted that you found the Team to be pleasant and friendly and we would really appreciate it if you would give us another chance at the Star Hotel.

Kind regards

The Star Hotel

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We have been holidaying at the Star since 1988 both during the year and for the past 20years at New Year. We look forward to our visits and have seen many changes and improvements. I notice in some reviews that people criticised the size of the rooms and bathrooms, when we started going the hotel had no onsuite bathrooms now there are very few rooms without. The quality and abundance of the food,the affordable cost and the friendliness of the staff and locals cannot be captured with larger and more fancy surroundings. The atmosphere in the hotel is something we have not found in fancier hotels. Well done to the Star we will see you all at New Year

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mcdillann66
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed at the Star Hotel from Sunday till Friday and the service was 1st class. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the food was excellent -- I managed to put on 4lbs in that short time !!
Plenty to see and do around Kingussie so our days were well filled.
Thought there might be more entertainment but we only had music on for 2 nights and the lounge dance floor was so small that only 2 couples could dance at a time.
Probably go back next year as we had a good time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mary962
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed in the Star Hotel for a weekend with a group of 24 Ramblers. Food was excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful. Room was comfortable but shower a bit unreliable. Good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingussie
Duke of Gordon Hotel
#1 of 3 in Newtonmore
The Craiglynne Hotel
The Craiglynne Hotel
#7 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey

Been to The Star Hotel? Share your experiences!