We have just returned from a 2 night stay at The Cross. We stayed there because of the excellent Trip advisor ratings.
I really really wanted to like this place. They work so hard and are really nice - We were in Kingussie for a wedding and decided to stay an extra night so we could eat there.
I can't fault the service it was absolutely first class and they were extremely welcoming.
We stayed in a riverside room which was £140.00 per night. -This is where the disappointment started. For that price the very least one would expect is good quality bedding and crisp cotton sheets - not hollow fibre pillows like bricks and a hollow fibre pillow. I did ask if they had any feather pillows and was given one - much appreciated however I found it extraordinary that I was also told by the owner that she also hated hollow fibre bedding and only had feather herself...............Oh well at least they are comfortable! It is a real treat for us to get away and after a long journey there is nothing nicer than putting your feet up and reading the papers or watching a few minutes of television - again a treat. Forget it. The TV reception is non existent and I was told that Sky TV was their only option until they introduce digital and they weren't prepared to pay for it - as it happened when I turned on the TV it fired out sparksand died and that was that. In fairness they did replace it with another but no point really due to snow storm on screen. I was also told not to worry about "breaking" the TV as it was the oldest one in the place - The fact that it had given me an electric shock didn't seem to bother them. However again they are so polite I just couldn't get cross!
I really wish we had just stayed for 1 night bed and breakfast. The food was good but really not the gastronomic experience we were expecting. 3 of the people staying were chefs 2 work in the travel industry. My familys business supplied scottish fish game and poultry to many leading hotels and restaurants worldwide so we kind of know what we want. All thought it was good competent food but really not very exciting. - My steak with wild mushrooms was good and the pudding was delicious however I had an onion tart tatin to start and the onions were still crunchy. My husband had some very bland fatty farmed salmon tasteless and cold and their selection of cheese - not what he would have chosen at all but he was not given any choice. It would be an idea to show the customer the cheese and give them the choice and perhaps fewer larger pieces. After dinner they won't let you sit at your table by the "Faux" log fire to enjoy your coffee but make you go upstairs to their lounge where we had to endure listening to the after dinner activities being enjoyed by the couple in room 1. we were perfectly happy where we were but the waitress although again terribly polite, clearly wasn't. Very good breakfast though!
I am still trying to work out how on earth it is so expensive. £460.00 for 2 nights bed and breakfast and 1 dinner - admittedly the boys had a couple of Whiskys after dinner and we bought 2 bottles of wine - The "hotel" has no bar.
I feel really ripped off. It is a restaurant with rooms - Not a hotel. The rooms need a serious facelift. Beige plastic baths are very dating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A contemporary five star restaurant with eight comfortable bedrooms set in a converted tweed mill and situated in 4 acres of riverside grounds within Cairngorm National Park. AA three-rosette award winning dinners feature the highest quality fresh, local, and seasonal produce, all complimented by a 300 bin wine list and around 40 specialist malt whiskies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Cross at Kingussie reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cross Kingussie
- The Cross Hotel Kingussie
- The Cross At Kingussie Scotland, UK