My wife and I stayed here for one night on DBB basis on our way home from a holiday in the Scottish highlands. The Cross is advertised as a "Restaurant with Rooms" but what I would say is it is virtually just a small hotel.
We were met by Katie, one of the owners, and the welcome could not have been more friendly or efficient. Check-in was simple and we soon in our room, which, incidentally, we could have accessed from 2pm - amazingly early in our experience, and most welcome.
Our room, a Standard bedroom, was reasonably spacious, bright, well-equipped and spotlessly clean, as was the en-suite bathroom/shower. This also was well-appointed, including a bidet! Something of a rarity in UK hotel rooms. The bed was large and very comfortable.
As there are only 8 rooms in The Cross, guests really do receive personal treatment. On arriving downstairs for dinner, we were met by our waitress and pre-dinner drinks and menus were speedily provided, then Katie appeared to announce that, as my wife and I both have little food allergies, alternatives were available if we required them. This was very much appreciated.
The quality of the meal in the three-AA Rosette restaurant was simply superb. There is evidence of real culinary skill here. All courses from the pre-starter right through to dessert were simply delicious; served with efficiency and grace from the delightful staff here. They could not do enough for us. The dining room itself is surprisingly spacious and no sense here that as many tables as possible have been squashed in - no danger of anyone encroaching on anyone else's conversation!
All in all, The Cross at Kingussie is a slick, classy operation - a place to savour and enjoy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A contemporary five star restaurant with eight comfortable bedrooms set in a converted tweed mill and situated in 4 acres of riverside grounds within Cairngorm National Park. AA three-rosette award winning dinners feature the highest quality fresh, local, and seasonal produce, all complimented by a 300 bin wine list and around 40 specialist malt whiskies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Cross at Kingussie reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cross Kingussie
- The Cross Hotel Kingussie
- The Cross At Kingussie Scotland, UK