“Really disappointed in a hotel we would have previously recommended.”

The Scot House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kingussie
GreenLeadersGold level
scotland
“Really disappointed in a hotel we would have previously recommended.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night mid September with my Fiancé, Mum and Dad. I booked the hotel through their own website and chose a Superior Ensuite and a standard Double as those were the only 2 available along with 1 twin. My Fiancé and I stayed here 3 years ago and had a lovely room so we were really looking forward to the stay. I chose the hotel on this basis and encouraged my mum and dad that it would be really nice.
On arrival we were given the keys for rooms 5 and 6. My mum then asked what room was the superior one because it had the jacuzzi bath. The gentleman looked a bit confused and said it was just a standard double for both rooms, I showed him the email and explained it said 'Superior Ensuite'. The rooms were both the same price and the gentleman asked why we didn't question there being a difference?! Obviously we don't run hotels and just thought that we had got a good deal. We decided to leave it
And go to the rooms. My parents took room 5 which we all went to see, it looked ok, a bit dated but generally most of them are like that in Kingussie.
Myself, my fiancé and my mum then went upstairs to room 6. When we walked in the bed was tiny, the wallpaper was peeling off, the mirror was disgusting, the roller blind was watermarked and falling to pieces. It was obviously like an attic room as it had sloping ceilings, which was a nightmare in the bathroom as my fiancé is 6ft 4 and wouldn't have managed to fit in it. My mum decided it wasn't adequate so asked to be moved. All of the rooms were full but some guests hasn't arrived so we switched to room 8 which was a family room. Again the bed was tiny, the roller blind was watermarked and absolutely disgusting. The windows, mirrors, shelves, pretty much anything was dirty and in need of a good scrub or to be ripped out. The bathrooms are modern but dirty and very cramped. The tv's are dated, the guest welcome book is tatty and the free WiFi doesn't work anywhere in the hotel.
On closer inspection of my parents room we discovered that indeed it was dirty, the window pane had cracks in it, the switch on the lamp was held together with tape, one of the cups from the tea set had like a sugar or tea crust on the drinking lip, there was damp marks all over the ceiling and the 2 single beds squished together creaked to no end.
The breakfast in the morning was adequate, the black pudding was fried and so really greasy and the bacon was kind of underdone. The hard boiled egg I asked for came as a soft watery egg as well.

I would've recommended this place to anyone going to Kingussie as it was lovely 3years ago. But now a change of hands and time has done it no justice. If you're going for 1 night then perhaps you can put up with this standard but we really struggled. None of us are particularly fussy about style so the fact that it is dated wasn't our concern. But when we stay somewhere it has to be clean! And this place just isn't.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Lossiemouth, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and i came here for a weekend away.. The staff where lovely and very helpful but the place itself was very out dated and beds wern't comfortable. It was located in a great place where access to local shops and sightseeing was only 5 mins away. The breakfast wasnt great either and felt that you would have to be in the older age group to really enjoy the hotel etc.

• Stayed October 2012

Travelers are raving about these Kingussie hotels

richmond
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The accommodation is looking a bit worn in parts but the exterior was receiving some attention at the time of my visit. The proprietor was friendly and helpful but seemed to be having to undertake all the tasks himself. Evening meal was plain but reasonable value and breakfast OK. It bit pricey for what it was.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Alloa, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have stayed in my life, the owners were really nice and friendly, but im afraid that is where it stops. We had a meal that tasted awful and made me ill the next day, the room I stayed (room 4) was dirty.......... (a bit of an understatement ) the room was filthy, the bath panel was broken, the shower was broken, there was black mildew all over the bath and sink, there was blood on the wall in 3 seperate places and on the ceiling, there were cobwebs with dead spiders and flys in the corners of the window, the window was broken, there were pieces of wallpaper coming off, there were stains on the wall, the lamp shades, two of the pillows were yellow and looked like they were smoked stained. They did not change our towels in the 3 days we stayed there, they did not take out our rubbish and there was a genuine lack of interest in running this hotel. The outside of the hotel was run down, the tables and chairs were falling apart, there were ashtrays full of cigerette butts left for days, all the paint was flaking off everywhere, all in all the place was a complete dive and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE STAY THERE EVER. One month after I stayed there the hotel decided to process the transaction and take the money out of my account. I really questions the competance of the owners and their ability to run a clean, functioning hotel.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. There are more hotels in Kingussie that look much better and are cheaper
ballater
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Booked for our second visit to High Land Wildlife park this year thru for us a new online agency and upgraded to a superior ensuite.What a large room with two large windows on first floor with the backdrop of the high Cairngorms to look out on,great start.The ensuite was large and clean and had a separate vestibule off bedroom which meant for great for noise insulation.The bed was large and a great nights sleep was had.On arrival we had a friendly check-in and then choose to eat in bar.Great service and good choice with great service,so much so that we dined there the second night too..Breakfast was very good with fast service.For price paid for room and for meals this Hotel is excellent value.

Room Tip: Room number 2.
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 7 nights in total and enjoyed our time at this hotel. George the manager and Sheila his partner could not do enough for us. It's true the outside of the hotel needs to be spruced up a bit but George has started that and it's on going as I write this review and I'm sure it will look great in next few weeks. Room was immaculate with jacussi,tv,stereo,coffe/tea,hair dryer and wifi was also free .
Breakfast was awesome.
Hotel interior was nice and hotel situation was splendid .
Thanks again George and Sheila!

• Stayed August 2013
Leven, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at this hotel, it is run by friendly, down to earth people. Rooms very nice and spotless. Hair dryer, tv, free view, toiletries , tea and coffee in your room all provided. . The breakfast was delicious, full english breakfast, hot and tasty. one of the best i have had for a long time in a hotel. This hotel was great, and would not hesitate to recommend it or return. Thank you scotts house for a lovely stay.

1 Thank Dawn L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingussie
Columba House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Newtonmore
The Cross at Kingussie
The Cross at Kingussie
#2 of 5 in Kingussie

Been to The Scot House Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!