“I would certainly not go back”
Review of Angus Hotel

Angus Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Blairgowrie
Ardrossan, United Kingdom
“I would certainly not go back”
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I was very annoyed when I stayed here – I had specifically requested a room with an open outlook (due to claustrophobia) and every other hotel on my 6 day tour EXCEPT this one was able to provide such a room.

I can see from other reviews that some rooms are nice but believe me room 7 is not one of them.

It is on the inside of the building overlooking a flat roof and the noisy kitchen fans and is small (a single surely and not a twin). It was also UNBEARABLY hot from our arrival at 4pm right through to my departure next morning despite a window kept open and 2 fans kept on all night and it’s not as if it was even that warm outside – max of 16 degrees.

A dreadful experience - I did not sleep all night as I was having difficulty breathing due to the heat.

I tried to change my room but was told there were none available – I thought this unlikely but there you go. I was reliant on someone else for transport and was unable to get other accommodation nearby or I would not have stayed.

The were stains on the carpet and what looked like water stains on the ceiling.

The hotel was also very noisy due to a well oiled wedding where guests set off the fire alarm by smoking indoors.

On the plus side the food is quite nice and the restaurant service is quick.

• Stayed April 2011
4 Thank clarindasylvander
OpsBlairgowrie, Manager at Angus Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
Firstly may I thank you for bringing your comments to my attention, I am sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy certain aspects of your stay. Room 7 is a standard twin room and based on your comments we will be installing air conditioning in this room and redecorating to include new carpets. We do not wish for any of our guests to leave unhappy and were a solution possible on the night we would have offered an alternative room to suit your requirements. As informed the hotel was fully booked. All requests are not guaranteed and we try our very best to accoomdate all needs, on a few occasions this is just not possible.
If in the area again, please contact me personally on brian@theangushotel.com, many thanks once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Stayed overnight as we were going to a Dougie Maclean concert at Clunie.
We arrived earlier than the check in time -the reception guy(didn't get his name,but he was australian)was FAB!!!!! He phoned to check if our room was ready,told us all we needed to know about the hotel and was extremely friendly,efficient & helpful. Give that man a good service award,he is a total asset to your hotel! He made us feel welcome & valued as guests.
Our room was on the second floor reached by a lift then down a corridor which smelt really strongly of chlorine(from the pool I think). It was smallish but bright, clean & comfortable with a large bed,lots of storage space . The bathroom was very small and would benefit from an update ,but clean and the shower worked fine.
Unfortunately the room was stiflingly hot, which we couldn't understand,there was no heating on,.the windows were open,and it wasn't warm outside.It made for a very uncomfortable night and didn't cool down at all. When I mentioned this to the receptionist on checking out,she said we get so few warm days in Scotland that it's not worth having air con.I fully agree but it wasn't even warm that day,it would be completely unbearable if it WAS a hot day! The heat seemed to be coming from inside not outside.
We used the pool and sauna which were a nice benefit, a private shower would be a good idea.
There was a Michael Buble tribute act on when we arrived back in the evening. There was a lot of noise until 1am, I would have hated to be in the rooms directly above the ballroom!
Breakfast next morning was good, we were served quickly (prob because everyone from the Michael Buble was still in bed with hangovers!).Food was good quality,hot & tasty.
All staff we met were without exception friendly,helpful & efficient.
All in all,reasonable value for what we paid(£69), but we had a really poor nights sleep due to the heat & noisewhich spoilt our stay and would only return if there wasn't a function on.

Room Tip: take earplugs
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2011

we have just come back from the Angus Hotel for the fifth year running a nd as usual we had a fantastic time . All of the staff are very kind and attentive and espevially on the Satyeday night when two couples took our seats for dinner and were being very difficult refusing to move to their own tables the manager could not have been nicer to us and had the situation sorted in no time so I would like to say abig YHANK YOU to him Will be back next year abd already looking forward to it

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
glasgow
Reviewed March 28, 2011

really enjoyed my 3 nights dinner bed and breakfast , reception staff lovely and recieved a nice welcome got upgraded to room 101 which was very nice large room facing the front of the hotel overlooking the square , bar area also very nice and relaxing for a drink or in my case reading my book !!again great staff got chatting to the young man from kenya ( hassian ) i think ? we had been in his country last year on holiday to so nice to share a few memories . we enjoyed the pool lovely and quiet and clean i am sure the hotel will get round to updating the changing areas are they are quite old fashioned but just went up to our room to shower and change no problem .the dinning area for hotel guest not on any coach trip was very informal just beside the bar again this suited me choice of menu great starters and desserts my only thought and not a complaint was i felt the main courses were a little plain of course you could use the £15 allocated and upgrade to a steak ect if you wished good idea , as we were there for 3 nights the lamb shank was on the menu 2 nights would have liked to see this only once ! ( only me ) overall great staff great service and would go again a special mention to the young scottish man on reception who sent my phone on to me thankyou !! keep up the good work guys !

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
ayrshire
Reviewed February 21, 2011

stayed for two nights for the rod stewart tribute weekend,really is a fantastic hotel ,very clean great room and all inclusive meals were faultless including breakfast.Staff were amazing and service was outstanding,already looking to go back very soon and do it all again .Do take swimwear for the pool and sauna loved it
Rod Stewart tribute was very good ,he sang non stop for more than 2 hours,every hit you could think of BRILLIANT.
If your looking for a weekend away with great entertainment and food you wont find better than here....just book it

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jimandnic
Greenock, Scotland
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Booked this weekend to meet up with friends. Noel on reception was very welcoming and extremely helpful (especially when it came to the seating plan for the ceilidh).
The rest of the staff that I dealt with were friendly, efficient and helpful. The public areas are very nicely decorated in a contemporary style. The pool/sauna/jacuzzi area was very nice too.
The list of local walks available from reception is varied but none were too taxing.
The food was very good (only ate in the restaurant so not sure if the bar menu is different).
The entertainment was great and the address to the haggis etc was delivered with enthusiasm .... the ceilidh band were excellent ,we hardly sat down all night.
The room was comfortable but not a lot of extra space. Would recommend that you avoid any of the rooms next to fire doors (we were in room 1) which are very noisy ..... and the banging of the fire doors woke us up a lot earlier than we would have liked but that really is the only complaint I had.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Greenockian46
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2010

I was one of a group staying with you from 22-26 Nov for your Turkey & Tinsel break. I found the hotel to be comfortable, clean & warm & my single room was fine. Staff on the whole were very pleasant & efficient, breakfasts were good & I understand that the pool/leisure facilities were really good too. However, you let yourself down with the evening meals. We gave you the benefit of the doubt on the first night but as you did not improve on the second, we dined elsewhere for the rest of our stay. The meals were bland at best & were reminiscent of all that was bad about school meals! One of my friends said she had never tasted Christmas pudding like yours before & I can assure you that she didn't mean that in a positive way. So please get your act together in the kitchen as you have so much to recommend in other areas. We did complain at the time but nothing was done & we felt that the "manager" to whom we addressed our complaints didn't seem particularly bothered. 3 of us left our names but no one sought us out to discuss the points we raised.

• Stayed November 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blairgowrie
Ivybank Lodge
#1 of 2 in Stanley
Bridge of Cally Hotel
Bridge of Cally Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bridge of Cally

Been to Angus Hotel? Share your experiences!