“Meal only. Unpleasant member of staff.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Bay Tree Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 39 Restaurants in Blairgowrie
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Went for meal. We were with parents. My wife and mum went up to order. They went outside for a second and while pout I went to order drinks. Straight away I was put off by the woman behind the bars attitude. Bit of a chip on the shoulder as if I was there to please her. They way she asked quesrions, the tone, was unpleasant. I asked for a wine, with complete disadain she asked what kind. I asked what they had, Merlot, Shiraz..straight away I said shiraz but how dare I interupt her. She was annoyed. Anyway she insisted on telling me the third option Syrah (which is as we know Shiraz).

I was then asked "what size" . it was barked at me as if I am meant to know. Havong never been there before I asked what are the sizes, small or large. 175 or 250. I went small. Well medium because small is actually 125ml. But as I said it reads ok but it was her tone and manner which was the issue here. Awful. Made to feel like an annoyance.

Anyway my mum and wife came back and apparently she was unpleasant with them. Without my saying a thing my wife said she really didsn't like the girl serving. Apparently she had an issue with my wife and mum ordering seperately. She turned to another girl amd sai "they're ordering sep-er-ate-ly" and made a funny face intimating, pain in 4rse thoughts. My wife, who would never say boo to a flea felt compelled to say "is there a problem with that?"

Why shouild there be a problem. It can't be too unusual for two couiples to pay for their own meals seperately. If it is a problem then it is one of their making. I could understand it if it was a big group but this is two groups. Even so making an issue out of it and showing disdane for the customer isn't on and says a lot for the attituse to those who pay the wages.

Incidentally make sure you get information on what is available. There is an express menue hidden on the side so no-one can see it.

The restaurant itself was well decorated and nicely lit. There was a couple of kids running a mock but it was pleasant place to sit and eat. The food was nothong special. The usual pub grub you'd expect in any chain restaurant such as Weatherspoons. If a tad more expensibe than elsewhere.

Not fine dining.

Woupd have been okay but for that woman. The others seemed fine.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The dinner in this hotel was of a poorer standard than any hotel we have stayed in including cheaper ones. If we hadn't been told the starter was smoked mackerel terrine we wouldn't have known as there was a distinct lack of fish in it. The main course was roast topside of beef with herb dumpling except they ran out of herb dumplings and without asking if we minded substituted a chewy yorkshire pudding. The roast beef, even though it was cut very very thin was difficult to cut because it was so tough. The broccoli was soft in the middle but brown and crunchy on the outside as if it had been grilled. After giving up on a main course we opted for cheese and biscuits thinking this a safe choice but no it wasn't. This is the first time we have had brie which crumbled rather than oozed, there was a red cheese which tasted of absolutely nothing and a piece of blue stilton which had seen better days. When we told the manager how bad the meal was she told us their other menu had burgers on it!!
The accommodation and leisure facilities in this hotel are lovely just be sure to eat elsewhere.