“An amazing hotel with great food and staff equalling a perfect stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bridge of Cally Hotel

Bridge of Cally Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Blairgowrie
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“An amazing hotel with great food and staff equalling a perfect stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My boyfriend took me to this hotel last weekend as part of my birthday treat and we had an amazing time so much so we didn’t want to leave. The hotel was warm and inviting with so much attention to detail in keeping with its history and the local surroundings.

From arrival to check out, the staff were lovely and so helpful we couldn’t have asked for a better service and they were very friendly with it. They recommended local attractions and walks including the riverside walk into the Cateran trail which starts on the hotel grounds.

The food was out of this world with so many different dishes to choose from as was the selection of whiskies in the hotel bar. Our room was lovely and had great views over the hotel grounds, which was great to wake up to every morning.

The only dampener which isn’t down to the hotel was there were some residents staying that became quite loud and aggressive towards the staff and management when they were refused to drink their own beer in the hotel bar issuing threats to put up bad reviews on trip advisor if they weren’t allowed which I found not only cheeky but appalling behaviour. However the way in which the management dealt with the matter was very well handled and ensured that there was very little disruption to those of us sitting in the bar.

Overall we had a fantastic time and can’t wait to go back again, thanks to the management and staff for making our stay wonderful.

Rooms
3 Thank lovestotravel2207

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Leven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Staff were excellent as I travel with a disabled husband and lots of kit including a rather heavy hoist. It was no trouble to them to carry the stuff in. Bedroom was very comfortable and to my delight had a bed with room under it for the hoist legs. Divans are harder to deal with. Food was ok, a better vegetarian menu would have been better.

Room Tip: We had room 16 which could be accessed with a wheelchair. No walk in shower, shower over bath. Wifi...
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Donald A, Owner at Bridge of Cally Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
We are glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Bridge of Cally hotel.
Our staff are always on hand to help our guests, it is our job to make sure your stay is as comfortable and stress free as possible.
And we will look into introducing some more vegetarian dishes onto the menu.
If you wish to return please take a look at our website where we have some upcoming special offers.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed at the Bridge of Cally for three nights on business. The hotels bedrooms are very clean and comfortable. Restaurant and beer garden lovely. Food fantastic and freshly made. Made to feel very welcome throughout the stay. Will definitely return if on business nearby and would also go for a holiday. Beautiful countryside and walks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
We are so happy that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Bridge of Cally hotel.
We like our guests to feel welcome from when they arrive to when they leave.
We do take pride in our beer garden which is a lovely place for people to sit out at during the warmth. And all our food is locally sourced.
We hope we will see you again.
Please visit our website for our special offers for summer and winter.
Oban, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I had a short break at Bridge of Cally hotel last month.This is my third visit this year! I look forward to going there as you are always made to feel most welcome by the staff and they are always most helpful.The food is fantastic and there is a wide range of choices. There is a cosy little bar and lounge where you can relax and there is a good selection of malt whiskies! The surrounding Perthshire country side is beautiful and peaceful and there are plenty of tourist attractions nearby to visit. Dogs are made to feel most welcome and there is always a bowl of fresh water in the bar for them! I look farward to returning.Wonderful for arelaxing break!

Room Tip: I have been in different rooms when I have stayed there and they are all very comfortable
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
We are so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Bridge of Cally hotel.
We always like to promote a friendly and warm atmosphere to our guests and their 4 legged friends as well.
We hope to see you again soon.
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This used to be a well run establishment on the road to Glenshee but after the worst lunch experience I have ever had it has fallen to an all time low. Service took an hour for an order despite asking for a menu and a drinks order lunch took over 3 hours. The staff were sullen and very unhelpful they just didn't care. We were in the company of two disabled ladies and there was no disabled parking for access to the hotel? The food was mixed but my steak pie (listed as a favourite why?) was tough and the vegetables were a pile of red cabbage almost inedible. I won't be back ever!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
6 Thank NigelSH
We are sorry that your experience at the Bridge of Cally Hotel was as you had previously experienced.
We apologise for the steak pie, it was not up to our usual high standards. And our staff as well, usually they are warm and welcoming.
The car park has always been as it is, but if you need to get closer to the doors, if you come into the hotel and let us know we will gladly make space for you to park your car.
We would like you to give us a second chance to show you how good our restaurant is.
Please don't hesitate to contact us of you wish to discuss this matter further.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I have never been spoken to with such contempt and disrespect by anyone in the hospitality industry, let alone a proprietor.

Earlier in the day, I had inquired about whether we could drink our own beer (since we are craft beer aficionados) and I was told that we were welcome to do so if we paid 50p per bottle consumed. Not a problem. We were very happy with that arrangement.

When we returned in the evening and prepared to sit down with our beers in a lounge area of the hotel, we were told by a staff member that we were not allowed to drink our own beer. When I relayed what we'd been told earlier, she went to check and said that we needed to order food and then it would be ok. We'd just eaten elsewhere and it was 9pm so we were not going to do that. I expressed my disappointment. She disappeared for a while.

The proprietor then arrived in full force and said "Right, are you the lads with your own beer. Well, it's not happening." And proceeded to lay into us about how he's been in the industry for 40 years and never heard of a hotel that would be so accommodating. I told him that we would appreciate a little bit of respect as his customers. We understood there may be rules, his staff may have got it wrong initially, but that he did not need to approach us in such an aggressive manner. He continued with his argumentative approach and so I told him to expect a Tripadvisor review from us. He said he doesn't care about Tripadvisor and would respond to our posting by refuting everything we said.

We finished up our drinks and retired early. Not the end of the world, but not exactly the most pleasant way to end an evening.

The following morning, we decided to cut short our stay because this encounter had left us feeling unwelcome and deflated; it had not turned out to be the relaxing weekend break we had planned.

I asked for a refund for the one night we would not be staying and the same man called me into a back room and told the other members of staff to "scoot."

He then said that we were not entitled to a refund because we had booked using a Living Social voucher, which is simply not true. We had booked directly with the hotel. So now he was making up a scenario.

This next bit is perhaps the most shocking.

He said that had we not been traveling with children he'd have kicked us out of the hotel the night before. I challenged him on this. He then showed me the door and in front of 6 other guests, said: "As the proprietor of this hotel, under Scottish law I order you to leave."

So we left, without our refund, but very relieved to be putting that horrible experience behind us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 stars
10 Thank Matt77London
Donald A, Owner at Bridge of Cally Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Matt 77 London,
I am extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Bridge of Cally Hotel.

My name is Donald Allan and I am the proprietor of this property. I returned to the property one hour after you left my property. On arriving at my Hotel I gathered all information from my Team that evening, I also had numerous guests mention the incident to me and stated that they could not believe the audacity and mannerisms that you displayed whilst talking to my Team on the night in question. Guests and Staff have stated that you brought your own beer into my lounge and expected to drink from your own stock / carry out all night. Other Guests also mentioned that you were shouting and stating you were a travel writer and that you would put bad trip advisor onto our hotel page if you were not able to drink your own beer in our property? As a Travel writer you must be aware that this is not normal practice and that it is also against Scottish Law. I also investigated the reasons why you were asked to leave the property and both my Team and guests stated that you were shouting at other guests asking them to leave and complain. Had I been present within my property I would have contacted the police and had you arrested for breach of the piece.

I do not know why you acted like you did in my Hotel but you upset my Team and many of my Guests with your actions. I also do not understand why you would bring you own alcoholic bottles of beer to drink in my bar as this is not normal practice within any bar that I know of within the UK. We also allowed you to use your voucher during a bank holiday weekend of which it clearly states in your voucher terms that bank holiday weekends are not applicable. We also put two cots into your room free of charge.

I have worked in hospitality all my life, I ran 3 large Hotel companies for 12 years and I have never experienced someone bringing drink into my bar and then getting angry when they are asked to put it away.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The moment we arrived we were made to feel like part of the family. The man who greeted us at the door and got everything sorted was brilliant. Then we went fr a drink in the bar and got recommended certain drinks which my girlfriend loved. Dinner was superb. Bit costly, but in my view you need to pay for nice food and it certainly was. Haggis and black pudding was superb with the apple between. Breakfast was good too. All cooked to order. Had a bit of a wait for the actual breakfast, but plenty of cereal and toast to choose from so no worries. We will definetly be back thats for sure

Rooms
    • 5 of 5 stars
Donald A, Owner at Bridge of Cally Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Bridge of Cally Hotel.
From the moment you arrive we like all our guests to feel welcome.
Many of the products we use in our food and some of our drinks behind the bar our from local suppliers, which we always like to promote, and many of our guests seem to like this.
We would always like to welcome you back, if you take a look at our website there are plenty on special offers on.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blairgowrie
Kinloch House
Royal Hotel
#5 of 8 in Blairgowrie
3.5 of 5 stars 126 reviews
Lands of Loyal Hotel

Been to Bridge of Cally Hotel? Share your experiences!