“peaceful new year”
Review of Kinloch House

Kinloch House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Blairgowrie
Reviewed January 3, 2010

stayed for three nights over new year. Pleasant well appointed property, welcoming staff, excellent food. Low key entretainment for hogmany. Low key but comfortable is the essence of the place, with log fires and snow outside. I am sure there are lots of nice wlaks in the vicinity but sub zero temperatures and lying snow made exploring on foot difficult. Will return in summer to do some wandering.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kinloch House

Reviewed December 19, 2009

Stayed overnight as part of my husband's birthday celebartions. The hotel was quiet and as it was a special birthday we were given a room upgrade. The room was very large with a beautiful view over the neighbouring farmland. The bed was extremely comfortable. The only problem with the room was no tea and coffee-making facilities. Downstairs in the public accommodation there were log fires which were lovely to cozy up next to. The lounges and bar area are slpit into three separate areas making them quite intimate and yet the drinks waiter was quite attentive. Hotel staff in general were very friendly and helpful. The dinner was perfectly cooked and beautifully prepared but you are paying for the quality and not the quantity. Despite the portions being a little smaller than avarerage we did not feel at all hungry after eating possibly because the meal also includes canapes and a generous helping of home made chocolates with the coffee. If you want to treat yourself, I would thoroughly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ScottyHawkeye
Reviewed December 11, 2009

My brothers and I meet up with our families in Perthshire proximate to Christmas. We had a fantastic experience at Kinloch House. Excellent, restrained service, well appointed bedrooms and high quality food. I would recommend the hotel very highly. It enjoys an elevated setting about two miles outside of Blairgowrie.

The highlights were the heated indoor pool, the private dining room, the excellent breakfast and the quality of the service. There were no lowlights. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank LRMacKenzie
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We visited this well-appointed country house hotel looking for a quality Sunday lunch in quietly plush surroundings...and we so nearly got it! Unfortunately, for 2 of the four of us, the problem was with what is surely the most important element of the whole package - the main course. The menu rather eccentrically made no concessions to what I would consider almost a 'must' a for Sunday lunch in these surroundings - a 'roast' of any kind! The nearest thing to it on the menu was 'slow-cooked feather blade steak', and this unfortunately turned out to be a culinary dud. It had obviously been cooked at too high a temperature and was almost inedibly dry and chewy. A great disappointment as the rest of the food was very good - the Celeriac & Rosemary soup, for example, was exceptional.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank caraveggie
Reviewed August 30, 2009

I am a little surprised by the couple of negative reviews on Trip Advisor for this hotel. My wife and 2 friends have just returned from a 4 day stay here and I have to say the service, food, cleanliness etc were fantastic some of the best I have every received anywhere. As soon as we arrived the doorman came out to greet us and helped us with our bags. No need to check in took us straight to our rooms, we stayed in the Clunie room and it was excellent, the bed was huge and real comfortable.

I note that someone on here complained about having to place your order between 6-6.30pm when they called the room which is true but, I didn’t have a problem with that the menus are placed in your room every morning so it was no big deal for us anyway, and as for ordering wine we just ordered at the table there was no need to order at the same time as the food, and while we are on about the food boy was it good Honestly we could not complain about any of it. We even asked them if they could do us lobster on the last night which they did and again it was delightful.

Staff- Scott was fantastic and the others they just seemed to be around when you needed them without being in your face

Spa facilities- We had the pool and saunas to ourselves certainly not state of the art but it was great for chilling out

As for the rules I am glad they didn’t let people park in front of the hotel why would you want to? (apart from loading and unloading which is no problem) Theres a large car park about 20 yards from the hotel its called a “Car Park” for a reason doh!!

Only downside for me was there was not wireless internet in my room so had to use wi fi in reception Not a big deal but it would not cost much to put a few wireless points around the place so all the rooms can get it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paul-Stocksbridge
Reviewed February 25, 2009

From our arrival we noted that this was a very welcoming place and the staff were eager to please. We were taken to our bedroom by a charming manager who looked after us for the duration of our three night break.
Our bedroom was large and beautifully furnished and we were able to enjoy the lovely views. We both enjoyed the large bed which was the most comfortable that I have ever slept in. The large bathroom had everything we could have wished for including double wash handbasins, marble tops and lovely toiletries.
The spacious public rooms were again traditionally furnished and the oak panelling and portraits give the place a country house atmosphere. There were two log fires, squashy armchairs and sofas and plenty of books and magazines to read.
The food was delicious and the waiters friendly. We found the hotel a rewarding and relaxing place and went home revived with definite plans to return.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emohrou121
Reviewed February 5, 2009

This hotel had some poor reviews on Trip Advisor, but I decided to book it anyway I had some email communication about availability which was not good - got a quick reply immediatley, but after trying to get more details about B&B versus dinner B&B, they weren't interested.

I perservered and finally got to ringing them to book. I dealt with a rather rude elderly woman. The conversation went like this:
Me: I've made a reservation by email and I'm calling to give you my payment details.
Her: Sorry?
Her: Oh, you want to give me your credit card number.
Me: Yes.
Silence...
Her: Yes
Me: Sorry, did you ask me a question?
Her: Are you going to give me your credit catd number then.
Me: Hung up.

After that I really wasn't keen and almost didn't go. This kind of curt telephone manner is really off-putting. An interetsed and friendly receptionist is invaluable. I also found out that we weren't offered the full range of rooms available (and there was a less expensive room) which is a bit sneaky-we should have been allowed to choose.

It turned out to be a fabulous hotel: beautiful entrance hall with log fire, persian carpets, antiques, lots of cosy places to sit and chat or play cards, open fires in lounges, soft sofas, books and magazines to read - just lovely. Our room was at the front No 9, and was spacious, with a setee and easy chair. A tray of whisky and water is a nice touch. Bathroom very nice with Molton Brown products. Pool and sauna area is good but the pool was cold (due to new pump being fitted)

Dinner was good but vegetarian choice a bit poor. While meat/fish eaters were choosing from lobster and steak we were offered pretty standard unimaginative food - definately not worth the £48 price tag!! Breakfast was worse with nothing but eggs and half a grilled tomato for vegetarians. Some staff in the dining room could smile a bit more and be a bit more interested!

Despite the negatives above, I had a great stay. The hotel is first class in its decor, and ambiance, and I'd definately return, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blairgowrie
Ballathie House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Blairgowrie
Angus Hotel
Angus Hotel
#3 of 5 in Blairgowrie

Been to Kinloch House? Share your experiences!