Have just spent a weekend in Blairgowrie and 3 nights at this hotel. Our rooms (!!) were situated on the 1st floor both numbered rather than named - therein may lay a tale. The first room positive was that it was spacious but had a bizarre collection of furniture that may have come as a job lot from a boot sale - all clean but totally mismatched and not at all as one might expect from a £100 a night room!! Worse still was that the windows were difficult to open (one other was 'locked' by paint) and 2 roof lights without blinds, thus admitting sunlight at the earliest hours of the morning. The shower enclosure was in desperate need of a proper clean. Concerns were compounded by a district power failure on Friday night - candles to take to bed and no cooked breakfast the next day as the power outage persisted. We insisted on a change of room. 'Mark 2' was much better, small but coherently furnished. We particularly disliked the electric macerator attached to the toilet (fortunately the electricity was restored late Saturday afternoon!) but were able to sleep until a more civilised hour (no roof-lights and all the windows could be opened). The water system seemed unable to meet demand in that water almost stopped completely on Saturday night and hot water was unavailable from around 8:45 on Monday morning.
The hotel needs some careful and attentive management and a more critical eye cast over the guest facilities. There was just one lady who skilfully 'held the fort' all weekend and seemed to be the receptionist, the acting manager, chief cook and bottle washer - the owners were conspicuous by their absence.
Breakfast was 'served' in a huge function room and service was desperately slow. Three, sometimes four, wifi routers were 'visible', depending on your location in the premises, yet only one security password for one router was known by staff thus internet access restricted to the area around the reception and bar.
Despite all the issues, the 'per night' room rate was not adjusted, despite suggestions that a goodwill gesture would be in order. Indeed a coffee and a couple of evening drinks totalling £15 taken during the stay was added to the bill!!
The hotel is well located but that is about all that is going for it at this time - it could be so much better - be warned and book with eyes open - the rooms we had did not justify the price tag!!
We have talked of making Blairgowrie an annual trip for our group as the 3 golf courses are superb but Altamount Hotel will not be high on the list of residence options, indeed may not appear at all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Altamount House Hotel in Blairgowrie has reopened in March 2014 under new owners after extensive refurbishments. It is a family run business and we like to think that we can provide you with a "home from home" experience in one of Scotland's most magnificent Counties. The Georgian house was built as a private home in 1800, and although restored in some areas we have managed to maintain all of its Periodic Charm. Altamount House is set within 6 acres of beautifully peaceful gardens and mature woodlands in the heart of Perthshire and we welcome you from near or afar. Although the Hotel is only a 5 minute walk into the Blairgowrie town centre, it is very quiet and secluded in its grounds, which makes it a perfect venue for Weddings, Conferences or just a romantic break for 2!!! If you prefer a more action packed holiday Golf, Fishing, Shooting and Skiing are all on our doorstep. Rosemount and Lansdowne Championship Golf courses are just 1 mile away, with a further 40 courses within 10-30 minutes from us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Altamount House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Altamount Hotel Blairgowrie
- Altamount House Hotel Blairgowrie, Scotland