“disappointed”
Review of Parkbury Hotel

Parkbury Hotel
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed September 2, 2012

my husband and i stayed at this hotel and were very disappointed in the general running of the hotel, to few staff who were expected to do too many tasks. the food was acceptable but nothing special and the soup was usually "cool" . the menu was confusing as "sorbet" was listed 1st! not the 2nd item as is usual. the general appearance of the hotel was shabby. the room was clean i am pleased to say and the towels were changed!!

1  Thank EnglandDancingqueen
Gemma A, Manager at Parkbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with certain aspects of the hotel. I have taken on board your comments regarding the management of the hotel. The sorbet may appear to feature in an unusual section of the menu. The menu has been designed to offer three light appetisers and then two starters. The sorbet is a popular choice and is designed to stimulate the palate before a four-course menu. The soup should be served hot and I will follow up these comments with the head chef. I am pleased to read that you found the room and the hotel clean, even if the décor did not meet your expectations. We really do value your custom and I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for Parkbury Hotel

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We have just returned from a five night stay here on a bus party trip.
We have stayed in ten different hotels in the last year and this was the worst by a LONG way.
We cannot be complimentary in any way to this establishment .
All the faults outlined by earlier reviewers and going back over several years are still evident.
The decor is appallingly grubby. The ventilation must be well under regulation standards.The bedding although clean was wornout.
The main courses provided for evening meals were of extremely poor quality (inedible on one occasion) and small in quantity.
It doesn't make for an enjoyable holiday when fellow travellers are (JUSTIFIABLY) complaining about the accommodation and / or food.

1  Thank Jomelco

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. We are naturally upset to learn that you had an unsatisfactory stay and certain aspects of the hotel failed to meet your expectations. I have taken on board your comments regarding the décor of the hotel. The cleanliness and food issues have not met our usual standard and for this I apologise. We really do value your custom and I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

My mother and I stayed here whilst on a coach trip of the Isle of Wight. I was a little concerned about some of the reviews I had read about the hotel, but as is often the case, was pleased to find that the Parkbury offers very good value, a friendly welcome and a pleasant stay.
Our room was clean and tidy, a little on the warm side, but then it was August. The bathroom was very clean too and had gallons of lovely hot water to offer. Breakfasts and dinners were good, and served with a smile, and the staff were always happy to help wherever possible.
I did not use the outdoor pool, as it was a little windy during our stay, but it was nice to have the option. The hotel was about 10 minutes from the sea front on foot, and handy for bus stops for other places on the island.
I enjoyed my stay at the Parkbury Hotel - it provided very good value and a pleasant, if unpretentious stay. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a friendly hotel at reasonable cost.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah L

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel’s location and the hospitality of the staff. The hotel aims to offer quality accommodation, excellent hospitality and good value for money. I am very pleased to read that we have met your expectations. We really do value your custom and we will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

From the outside it looked quite majestic but on closer inspection the cigarette butts strewn outside the front door should have warned me. We had a ground floor room by the pool, which stunk of mould and old people (sorry oaps). The bathroom shower wall paint was peeling away and the whole room needed stripping off and a good paint. The bed was awful, it was so soft because of lack of springs we slept in the middle of the bed cause every time we tried to turn over we were forced to the middle of the bed. There was no support whatsoever. The pool was only heated once as when my hubby went for a swim it was freezing. We stayed on a Fri til Mon and regretted each day we were there for. The carpet outside our room was disgusting dirty and was not hoovered at all. The bar area was dismal. The staff were on the other hand very helpful and polite. Sorry but didn't enjoy my stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank quilter17

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay recently. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy all the aspects of the hotel. As a non smoker I do take your point about the cigarette butts. This is not acceptable and this issue has been addressed. I have taken on board your comments regarding the maintenance requirements and the mattress. It appears that the cleanliness of the hotel has not reached our usual standards on this occasion and for this I apologise. The swimming pool is heated and temperature is checked daily. On a more positive note, thank you for your kind comments regarding the hospitality of the staff. We really do value your custom and I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

The pictures really help to book this but in reality its like a run down YMCA worse DONT DO IT AT ANY COST.This was supposed to be a relaxing time for my Husband who is due to go into hospital for an operation and our first wedding anniversary. We will never foreget it. The smell when you walk in is foul and offensive to your senses. The carpets need a good hover and clean not been done properly in years moving the furniature would be a good idea to as you could see the dirt and dust around all furniature in our room the walls were covered in black marks one had blood on it the wardrobe door had tea or coffee down it from previous people. the bath panel was cracked and a piece missing and as for the floor around the edges and corners it was a dirty brown with hairs. Hotwater? took about five minuets to get teppid the shower was a trickle.You can here the other rooms as if they were with you in your room from above and next door. Breakfast dont bother unless you are prpared for un cooked and cold food not just our opinion but couple sat on table next to us as well the toast was uneadable as it was burnt and like rock. The breakfast waiting staff need clean uniforms as well. The bar staff dont have a clue tried to sell beer that needed the lines cleaning as there was yeast floating in beer and very cloudy. tables were sticky not cleaned from night before sign said open from 5pm but actually when they feel like it not till 5.50 when we tried to get served with off beer. Pool area un cared for rubbish and un kept lawns and plants the pool was cloudy and un inviting. This was our worst night mare ever and stressed my husband out which was not what we wanted. The manageress told me that this is a COACHING INN funny how its advertised as a HOTEL and on there bill as a HOTEL trading standards might like this. WE WOULD NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN OR RECOMEND EITHER BOOKED THROUGH BOOKING .COM NEVER AGAIN TERRIBLE

Room Tip: ANY where but here
3  Thank traceykhampshire

I am really sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and point out issues regarding cleanliness. No other issues were reported regarding the water temperature. I am disappointed to note that you felt the food was not our usual standard as we genuinely receive excellent feedback regarding this aspect of the hotel. The hotel is part of a coach tour operating business but this doesn’t suggest that we are not a hotel. We aim to offer comfortable accommodation, good food and excellent hospitality. The General Manager confirms that all your issues were raised at the hotel and dealt with during your stay. I do not offer this as an excuse as the cleanliness should have been checked prior to your arrival and for this we offer our apologies. I have taken all your comments on board. You feed back is important to us and I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Was a bit wary about going there after reading some of the comments made by others, but found that we had a lovely time. Rooms were clean and had all facilities. Meals were very good with a choice catering for all tastes and the service was excellent.

While not on the sea front, it was only a short walk away and the area was very quiet which is more than could be said if we were on the sea front. We had single rooms at no extra cost which is unusual as many places have a single room supplement which bumps up the cost of a holiday.

The staff were very helpful and very friendly and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel’s cleanliness, quality of food, and the hospitality of the staff. I am very pleased to read that we have met your expectations. We really do value your custom and we will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

The staff couldn't have done anymore to make me feel at home, and went above and beyond to ensure all my needs were met. The location of the hotel is very good, only a few minutes walk from the beach and close (but not too close) to major roads for connections to Newport etc. Nice quiet area and i did book a twin room but i phoned the hotel if i could have a ground floor room for my mum what they done for my mother was gave her a double ground floor room and gave me a single room at no extra cost the staff were very helpful and i was very grateful for what they done for my mother as my mother finds it hard to walk and i would say there again for the staff thankyou for your help

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pkoz43

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hospitality of the staff at the hotel. The hotel aims to offer quality accommodation, excellent hospitality and good value for money. I am very pleased to read that we have met your expectations. We really do value your custom and we will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.