“a lovely overnight stay”
Review of The Wight

The Wight
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed February 2, 2014

very impressed with this hotel, staff very friendly and attentive. Bedroom was very comfortable and warm. The swimming pool, jacuzzi etc. are excellent. Sadly we could only spend one night there, had a great breakfast in the morning, will be returning for sure.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

This hotel is a gem; fantastic value for money, friendly and helpful staff, spotlessly clean, comfy bed with duvet. We had an online winter break deal that included ferry crossing, breakfast and dinner and look forward to returning when the weather's warmer!

1  Thank Ashley538
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My husband and I plus my nieces and nephews stayed here for a couple of nights off season. The hotel was super friendly, very clean and comfy. The food was amazing, full five courses that even impressed my very fussy brother who also stayed! The bed was comfy (yet a previous client same room said it was awful and gave one star! Why?) Nothing was to much trouble for the staff who were all a delight, especially the waitress and bar man. This hotel deserves to be much more than a 2 star! The pool, Jacuzzi etc was also very good, clean & warm. You really must try this place! And the best bit, value, we chose the winter warmer and the prices included the ferry, breakfast and free dinner, I don't know how they do it for such a great price. I will be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I decided to have a few days away, just me and the dog! And found the Wight Montrene offering a great Winter Warmer deal which included ferry crossing, breakfast and free 5 course evening meals! Great location, couple minutes walk to Sandown beach - handy for the dog (out of season). Great selection of food for breakfast and dinner. Staff were very welcoming and friendly. There was entertainment on two of the nights I stayed, including a Jazz&Blues night which was fab, very 'go-with-the-the-flow" with some of the regulars bringing their trumpets or giving us a tinkle of the ivories; because I enjoy abit of singing I was also able to get up and sing a song too, everyone was very friendly and tried to involve everyone in the evening! Great time!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Mel038
Reviewed January 21, 2014

you can not fault this hotel had a lovely stay staff very welcoming and friendly, food was outstanding couldnt eat all 5 courses in the evening and the waitress was very polite and attentive she served us all week breakfast and evening meal and always had a smile. The room was comfortable and extremely clean it had everything we needed. the swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room was lovely and relaxing. after reading one review "fawlty towers" i can not dissagree enough we where told on arrival all about the swimming pool and £1.00 for jacuzzi ect the changing rooms are definately very clean and are what you expect for a changing room somewhere to hang your clothes and to get changed, we had a wonderful stay here extremely friendly staff would stay here again if we come back to isle of wight

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I have stayed at the Montrene lots of times,for a 2 star hotel, (should be 5 star) great staff,and a great central location,to start anyones holiday,having a large car park is a must,with the high street/beach,2 minites away.
The food is great,and breakfast is the most on offer i have seen,(just ask when ordering) any extras. I stayed from the 14th dec till the 7th jan,before the xmas rush,to enjoy the the pool,spa,steam room,etc. my room was good lots space,very comfortable bed and shower etc. Over the xmas/new year,and lots of beer from the well stocked bar,and party games/bingo,quiz,and a great snooker room,(£5 for approx 65 mins) spent a lot of time in here,due to our lovely british climate,sausage rolls/mince pies in the evening, yes most enjoyable, Well recommended. 9.5 out of 10.

Room Tip: Any disabled person/s ask for ground floor room,but note 2 steps upto bar area,and i like 2nd floor...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed in room 302 and our 18 year old son stayed in room 222 just for the one night as he was joining HMS Collingwood the next day. We had stayed at the Wight Montrene about 4 years ago our son included and we loved it then and am was very pleased to say we received the same friendly welcome as we had in the past. Thenstaff were helpful, curteous and very friendly as on our previous visit. They very kindly upgraded our rooms from a single f(or our son) and economy double (for us) to economy double and superior double. My husband and I had a lovely evening as did our son. The pool was lovely and warm veryclean and we had it all to ourselves which was brilliant. Both rooms were clean and warm with the usual tea and coffee making facilities, flat screen TV, extra pillows, hairdryer etc. Breakfast was to start later than we were hoping as our son had to be on the mainland quite early so the chef started breakfast early just for us. My husband had the Jurassic but there was no way he could finish it and he is a big eater!! Outstanding service. We are planning a family trip in the summer and The Wight Montrene Hotel is the only place we choose to stay. My son (who is 18) said as we left, I can't believe it's only a 2 star Hotel. Keep up the good work Wight Montrene. Paul, Celia and Danny Roe

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
wightmontrene, Owner at The Wight, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

I must admit that I rarely write a management response to “good” reviews. I really should do so but such is the pressure of running that which is largely regarded as a VERY good hotel that there is just not enough time to do so unless virtually the same boring “formula” wording was to be repeated time after time. But in this instance there is good reason to break from that normal routine.

The point needs to be made that the hotel does not have a room 302. It does however have a room 203 – and that was indeed the double room in which Mr. & Mrs Roe (I use their name as they have done so in their review) slept on the night of Sunday 19th January. As can be seen from their “Excellent Hotel” review they were more than happy with everything on their one night at the hotel.

Strangely, the writers of “Not what we expected” and “Fawlty Towers”, Clive R and Debbie R, were in that SAME room for the nights of Friday 17th and Saturday 18th departing on the morning of Sunday 19th – the day upon which the Roe family then took up occupation of that SAME room.

At no time during their stay did Clive/Debbie R mention their room or bed – it was only in their reviews that “The bed has to be a top contender for the "most uncomfortable hotel bed" competition, lumpy and hard. We both got up with a stiff back” appeared and by the time their first review appeared the Roe family had left.

Now, unless I have some form of second sight and so in a panic shot out and found, bought and had delivered a new bed (in the 3 hours that the room had no occupants AND on a Sunday!) the bed stated to be a top contender for the “most uncomfortable hotel bed” competition was the same one that the new occupants found more than acceptable.

Strange indeed are the small proportion of hotel clients that will scratch around for every extra additional piece of tinder to add to the fire of their complaint in order to bolster their own self importance!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Melville Hall Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
Luccombe Hall Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#6 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to The Wight? Share your experiences!