“Good Hospitality but room very small”
Review of Chad Hill Hotel

Chad Hill Hotel
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hotel was in a nice location but the room was very small and cramped , the shower was so small it was difficult to actually shower , breakfast ok although a little sparce , wouldn't choose to stay her again as their are better deals available for B&B.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My partner and I stayed in the hotel, last weekend of July, for 3 nights, we arrived at 20:30 on Friday night, to be greeted by a cheerful Michael and Judy, after taking luggage to bedroom, had a couple of drinks at the bar, served by Michael.
The next morning had a very nice breakfast, before going out to explore the isle of Wight, when we returned, had a shower, which is my only niggle, as the en-suite shower and toilet room was quite snug, but I am a big guy, so would not put me off going back to this hotel.
The hotel was fairly close to Sandown town centre and the pier, Michael and Judy were very friendly, and made you feel welcome, I would recommend this hotel, I bought the 3 night trip with Red Funnel, but would have probably been cheaper to book the hotel and ferry separately, worth visiting.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2013

At £195 for three nights, nigh on £65 a night, I'm afraid better was expected.

Undoubtedly the hostess was amiable and helpful, but the rooms were very cramped, and even after raising the issue of a cold dribble shower (quoted water pressure, due to the other 11 rooms in use...a little inconvenient when wanting to go out and having to wait turns for the water!) the shower still remained unusable owing to either fully scalding or fully freezing settings...no in between.

The rooms were best described as 70's chintz...imagine Fawlty Towers, but cluttered. All the bits of oddities your worst Tat Loving Aunty from childhood could never throw away. Large bits of not useful furniture (our room had a fold out case stand...but with a double bed, child's desk and large lamps, and a long seat all cluttering the room, we had nowhere to open the stand!). The bed was comfortable but distastefully adorned, to put it mildly. The nit was punctuated by the disturbance of next room shower light and toilet flushing.

Breakfast quite nice, but only served between 8-9 means missing out on last day travelling.

For this sort of price I'm afraid a much better facility was expected, and being Islanders ourselves, I'm afraid this is indicative of a degree of lazy 'hoteliers'. Labelled a Hotel, but obviously more a B&B. Sadly not alone in their strategy, but not worthy of a second visit, no matter how friendly the landlady was.

Not worth the money, and disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Itsasitis
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed over Easter weekend when the hotel was full, so unfortunately our room was a bit cramped since we needed an extra bed for our daughter, but it was adequate as we spent very little time in our room over our 2 night stay. The en-suite was very small and none of us felt like using the teeny tiny shower. We found the beds pretty uncomfortable and the house smelt quite damp and musty, since it must be difficult to keep it heated over the winter when few visitors are around. But I knew before I went that IOW accommodation is out-of-date.

However on the positive side it was all very clean, enough towels and bedding was supplied and the area was very quiet and peaceful at night. Lovely very helpful hosts, not put out by our large dog and very good breakfasts. The location was excellent - a short walk from Sandown High street, a lovely park and the beach and the price was good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gillian R
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband, myself and my father have just returned from Chad Hill. Some reviews we read are negative, it is true. Yes the en suites were snug, the decor was old fashioned and it is an old building, but everything was clean, the beds were comfortable. It had a very homely atmosphere, the food was freshly cooked and tasty with a choice.
The Judy the owner looked after us exceptionally well.The friendly welcome with a cup of tea and the service we had there would warm the coldest of winter days. If you want the Ritz pay Ritz prices.Value for money it would be hard to beat this hotel. We loved it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WestBromwichBill
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have been staying at the Chad Hill for the last Five years, You always get a friendly welcome. All the rooms are clean and the food is great nothing is to much trouble very helpful.
Had a great laugh with the owners we will be going back again.

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious and airy all rooms are quiet and sunny
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is run by a couple, the husband is the chef and the wife a pain in the backside .She gave us a small room and I am a big girl, small bed too.The bathroom was a joke and the washbasin was in the room!! She did not understand the word disabled and did her best to annoy me,!! At breakfast she put us in the most unaceptable table so difficult for me to get in and out,!!! If we hadnt paid up front I would have walked out and have gont to another hotel,!!!
Sandown itself is a nice resort pity about the Chad Hill Hotel.!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple