“Good for wet days but expensive”

Amazon World Zoo Park
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Sandown
More attraction details
Owner description: This all-weather recreation of the Amazon rainforest houses over 200 species of animals and birds.
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This is great for a half day out, especially if it's raining as a large part of it is under cover and nice and warm, but I thought it was expensive - £30 for a family of 4 for half a day of entertainment. That said, I have a new favourite animal in the armadillo, and it was great for the kids to get up close and personal with some of the animals in the picnic area over lunchtime. Some of the cages were a bit small and tired but quite a few had signs saying the enclosure will be renovated (enlarged?) soon, including the penguin pool. I would go back if I had another rainy week in the Isle of Wight, but other attractions would take priority in nicer weather.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We visited the park as a family of 7 - all adults and one disabled.
The first part of the park is indoors and is very well laid out, with lots of interesting animals and plants of the tropical rainforest to keep your attention. There were birds and other creatures roaming freely around parts of these areas, which was great. You could pay 50p to feed some of the huge fish (including pirhanas!) which again, was excellent value.

There were interesting and informative areas, such as an exhibition dedicated to logging and illegal trades in the rainforest, which really highlighted the problems with fascinating facts, such as 5 football fields worth of rainforest are destroyed every minute - really hard hitting!

There were animals and creepy crawlies for every taste and when you went outside, there was the opportunity during the day to handle some of them (a boa constrictor and a hedgehog on our visit). We were also able to go into the lemur exhibit, which was great! They weren't wary of humans and happily jumped onto the shoulders of several of our party.

I personally felt that some of the exhibits were tired and cramped, which has affected the rating I have given the park. The penguins, for example, were in a very ugly exhibit and it was a real shame after some of the excellent indoor exhibits.

The only other small negative was the food van in the outside part of the exhibit. The food was disgusting, the cheapest of cheap but with a high price tag. We also bought hot chocolate, which was vile. It was 2 scoops of chocolate powder with water on top, not even stirred. It was too weak and none of us finished ours.

However, we really loved the park and its variety of animal life. The interactive opportunities were very good, particularly as they were free (the owl and monkey park charged quite steeply for this!) I found the park interesting and informative. The outdoor children's park also looked great fun, but with no children, I can't rate that!

NB: Disabled access was very good. Only 1 area was unsuitable for the wheelchair, but there was an alternative way around.

They also accept Tesco vouchers, I noticed.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Just love this place. The animals are looked after very well, the Meercats are just fantastic. The wild cats that they have are well looked after. My favourite bit is the Twighlight section, with all sorts of animals darting about in the darkened shadows. The Desert Fox is great. Also had a good wild bird flying display. See them earlier because they get lazy as they have had plenty of tit bits already, and do not do as they are told..

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Visited this attraction a few days ago when the heavens opened over the Isle of Wight and the temperature plummeted. Thought it was good value for money and my daughter and I spent about an hour and a half there just wandering through the indoor enclosures. Yes, if you're not prepared to stop and totally absorb your surroundings, reading the information and chatting with the friendly keepers, I suppose it wouldn't take long to pass through. However, if, like us, you wanted to stop to take in the characteristics of these various creatures, admiring their beauty and enjoying some of the antics they got up to, you can certainly get your moneys worth. The added bonus for us was that there was plenty to see in just the indoor areas and it was lovely to feel warm at last.

Sadly, when we eventually decided to venture outside to continue our tour, the rain had become decidedly torrential so we decided enough was enough and adjourned to a local pub. It was a good excuse anyway!

All in all, even though we only experienced half of what Amazon World has to offer, we did not feel cheated. We still saw plenty and spent an enjoyable, warm and dry time there. It is well worth a visit.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

We needed something to occupy the kids due to the rather inclement weather and had brought the Tesco vouchers to gain access to the attraction so really should count myself lucky as the full price (£30+ family ticket) might leave you feeling a bit deflated. It's OK (just), take some time to really absorb what they have here as there is no value in zooming round in 20 mins with your camera on hyper snappy mode. Either way this is not likely to be more than a few hours of entertainment at best. Kids thought it was all right but we would not necessarily come back.