“An excellent break”
Review of Tarvic 2 Hotel

Tarvic 2 Hotel
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I cant believe some of the criticisms I am reading. I think some people complain for the sake of it. This hotel is a budget hotel. This by definition means you cant expect The Ritz. The guy who complained about a Just Go break must be from another planet. The manager,Farid, was most pleasant and helpful.When I had a problem connecting to the internet he even invited me into his private office to get a better signal. The food was excellent and the rooms clean and warm. I was on a Just Go break too.

Room Tip: we were in 124 and it was not huge,but warm and clean.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank ashleyrobjan
There are newer reviews for Tarvic 2 Hotel

Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed here for one hour and could not stay any longer the room smealt other guests also commented on a damp smell mold on walls and window.i had the feeling i was in a bedsit due to decor mirror marked furniture shabby also concerned for safety as the room we was given was at the far back of the building if there was a fire you would be at risk the door fealt like it was made of cardboard when try to complain manager flew in to a rage ,dave a

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank David-pau
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I stayed at this hotel last year on a weekend deal with Just Go! Holidays by coach. I wasn't expecting the Ritz, but expected a lot more than we received. On arrival we went to our room, a twin. This was OK. Nothing special with the furniture but clean and with comfortable beds. Bathroom door was a bit odd though, about 5'10" high so I had to duck to go in and out. It would appear that 98% of the staff at the hotel are very young and Eastern European, and these young people are all very friendly and obliging. When sitting down for dinner we were assigned a table at the bottom of the main restaurant in the corner. It was stifling hot, right next to the kitchen and the window didn't open due to a drainpipe being placed over the opening outside. The meal was acceptable, with three courses being provided. When we came down to breakfast the next morning, we were shocked to be told that we had been assigned our table for the entire weekend and were not able to move. The hotel had an additional restaurant (seating around 40 people) that was used for about 6 people on the night we arrived. I enquired with the hotel manager if we could be seated in the alternative restaurant due to the heat, but he very rudely told me no, and that there was not another restaurant. When I mentioned that we had seen people eating in the 'other' dining room the evening before he just walked away from me. I have never before met such a rude hotelier, and he 'dreams' that one day he will have 4* - no chance of that ever happening. The most important and worrying thing is that all the fire doors were wedged open with door stoppers. Despite there being several levels/landings, all the doors were wedged open for the entire weekend. If there had been a fire I dread to think what the outcome would have been. Many of the guests were elderly and were not quick using the stairs. (No lift was available at the hotel). Upon my return from holiday I sent photographic evidence of this to both Just Go! Holidays and the Isle of Wight Fire Brigade, but still find holidays being sent to this place - amazing!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank MartinRBH
Reviewed September 30, 2011

This hotel was very shabby with broken windows, worn carpets and dirty blinds. The food was not good and we did not always get what we ordered. The rooms were basic ours had curtains hanging off and a bathroom door that would not shut properly. The whole place was not good value for money and we will be taking it up with our travel company, it was a shame as it is in a great spot on the sea front won't be going again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 336morris
tarvic2hotel, Manager at Tarvic 2 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2011

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us here at the Tarvic2 Hotel. Unfortunately untoward remarks were made to one of our young 16 year old waitresses and when she did not find it amusing you continued to harass her. Unfortunately this did have an affect on the service that was given to you.

Nothing was reported concerning the room and we would have done everything possible to address any concerns or grievances had we been notified of them at the time. We have checked your room and none of the items mentioned were wrong and this room has since been occupied to the guests entire satisfaction.

We are saddened that you feel you can use this website as a tool to discredit the hotel. Had you behaved in an appropriate manner you would have received good service from the waitress as do all our other customers.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed here valentines weekend 2011! The hotel was pretty standard but nothing to complain about. The hotel was on the seafront and had great views. We had breakfast included and it was very good.
The only thing i would say is that if you go here in season there is no car park and you have to pay to park your car. Luckily we went out of season so parking was free.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Natalie M
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I ended up staying at the Tarvic 2 by default as I needed a no-frills single room in Sandown for two nights and this was the only place that wasn't full. Some of the more negative reviews were a bit off-putting, but as all I needed was a place to sleep, have the odd shower and a quick breakfast I arrived with an open mind. My single room was very affordable even though it was the end of high season. There was a small charge for breakfast, which is now served up until 9:30.

The exterior is quite attractive, and the interior decor may be a little dated, but that's nothing unusual in a basic hotel. There are some nice examples of antique-looking furniture in the public areas, which gives them a bit of character.

The manager was perfectly polite and always on hand to answer any questions. Both the barman and receptionist (who was more than happy to help with booking taxis and so on) were friendly, as were the polite and efficient waiting staff. I returned to the hotel quite late on both nights but was let in straight away by the manager who seemed happy to sit up on night porter duty.

My room was fairly small and a bit noisy (I think it was near the kitchen) but it was spotless, as was the ensuite bathroom and shower. Strangely, the TV remote was filthy and looked like it had been in a few accidents with food and beverges and never cleaned.
The bed was on the small side, and the mattress probably the foam rubber type and rather thin, but I didn't find it too uncomfortable. As another viewer pointed out the towels provided are also quite small, which seemed odd but wasn't a big issue.

This was only a short stay and I spent very little time in the hotel so I can't comment on evening meals or the in-house entertainment, but I would recommend the Tarvic 2 to anyone looking to explore Sandown and the rest of the island on a budget. This place has a great seaside atmosphere and stunning views of the bay.

The full English breakfast, by the way, was excellent and well worth the surchage.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank Andy D
Reviewed September 15, 2011

sea view room was really good, as we arrived owner him self very friendly showed us parking also offer to carry bags and stuff, first they offer sea view room which was not that great but owner then gave us other room with great view. all staff very friendly and we would sure recommend.

Room Tip: all front rooms with great sea view any sea front hotel you book it is vital to ask full details.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family