“Great experience”

Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Sandown
caddington
“Great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

Visited for a ladies weekend and had a wonderful time, all the staff were polite, helpful and efficient. Even Kevin !
Great location on the seafront, and reasonable bar prices in the hotel, food was plentiful and the service superb, we will return, thanks Sophie !

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank paygee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

In 40 years of coach driving This must be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, the cleanliness is appalling with leaking showers etc. complaints never seen to be taken serious. I stayed in this hotel several years ago and had to be moved rooms due to cockroaches and insects in my bed, nothing seems to have changed. I don't have a say which hotel I stay in otherwise I would have gone nowhere need it and hopefully I never have to again.

• Stayed October 2010

Travelers are raving about these Sandown hotels

Barnsley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

We have just returned from 5 days at the Carlton Hotel. When I rang to check availability I spoke to Sophie. She was absolutely brilliant. I told her my requirements (we were taking my father with us and we wanted to be close, etc.) - Sophie could not have done more for us. We had rooms next door to each other with seaviews. We had a small problem with Dad's room and within minutes it was sorted. Nothing was too much trouble. The meals were hot and the waiting staff were excellent. We didn't have any trouble with parking but it was out of season, I suspect in high season it could be a problem. All in all an excellent break and we will certainly be visiting the Carlton again. Thank you to Sophie and all the excellent Carlton staff.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank PatriciaBarnsley
West Sussex U.K
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

We stayed in this lovely beach front hotel with a group of friends for the weekend. Our group had hired out many if not all of the rooms. We were welcomed by the manager who was friendly and very helpful. Our room was lovely, clean and spacious. In the evening we had a dinner for our group which was very good with a good choice, the waiting staff were excellent. A disco had been arranged for the evening, again bar staff were very courteous and friendly. In the morning we all had breakfast together in the dining hall, once again nothing was too much for the staff and the food was lovely. I would recommend this hotel. The only thing to be aware of is that there is no hotel parking, but there is plenty of road side parking close by.

• Stayed October 2010
bristol
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

Nice hotel .. clean decorated nice reception staff excellent our room was excellent had a minor problem but was sorted,,,,,,,,,, views are brilliant,,, we went for evening meal and hotel stank of boiled cabbage food on evening meal was school dinners but waiting staff excellent.. entertainment mmmmmmmmmmmmm cant really fault breakfast was good but we must of stayed on a over 60s week as it was grab grab !!!!!!!!!!!! but over all I say its a great hotel ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,iF YOU are taking car beware limited parking this was a pain !!!!!!!!! and you have to pay for parking but overall nice hotel pleasant staff think if I stayed again would o B&B avoid that boiled cabbage smell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank treezabristol
SOMERSET
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

We were booked into this hotel on the I.O.W. When the Grand at Sarborough let us down with our booking throught the I.O.W. Tours. Well all I can say is thank you, the hotel, satff and sevices were very good and all of our group had a realy great time. The rooms overlooked the sea front and were clean and comfortable, you couldn't fault the food for portion size and quality, although my vergatarian friend would have liked a better selection for breakfast the rest of us were well pleased. All the meals were hot and served quickly with a smile and nothing was to much tuble for the staff. Our thanks to the staff and management for a smashing time.

• Stayed September 2010
nuneaton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

i came on this web site befor i took my group to the carlton in sandown isle of wight. oh my god!!!!!!! was i worried? the amount of reviews that said "never again" , "holiday from hell", "worst ever" i was realy concerned considering i was takiing a group of thirty people who have been traveling with me for over 10 years. we are all friends & family. i even thought of transfering my group to a different hotel because i was horrified at what i read. there was plenty of reason for concern - food awful & cold, from a freezer and not enough on plate, rooms dirty with bedbugs, dirty linen and bedroom doors that wont lock, staff untrained & rude, no problems solved - just ignored, reasonal complaints if true.
then i read the stupid ones like "no free shower gel, is this the only hotel in britain not to supply it free!!" who ever thinks that shower gel should be provided needs to go on holiday more often and realise that it is not provided in many hotels and if that is the first thing you think about then you seriously need to get a life!!!!!
we arrived at the hotel to be greeted by kevin (manager), who came out and got onto our coach to explain the checking in system. very simple, make your way to the bar area, have a free cup of tea/coffee and your forms will be given to you. fill them in and take them to reception to collect your key. some very nice young men assisted our driver with the cases and delivered them to the bedrooms whilst this was happening. the bar area was very clean and nicely decorated, only problem was the windows, the seals have gone in some of them so it is impossible to see through them, a great shame when the seaview outside is fantastic. the bar staff were good, funny and joined in a laugh with all of my guests, speedy service with a smile (except kevin) staff look well presented. my bedroom was on the top floor with a balcony and was clean and well presented. i spoke to all my passengers and only one complaint came back to me, two of my ladies couldn't lock their balcony door once they had opened it. this was reported and repaired with in half an hour. no complaint there! the bathrooms were clean and tidy AND WE GOT FREE SOAP! but they could do with updating, showers etc were not very powerfull and the wc in one of our rooms did move when a disabled person sat on it, again repaired straight away.
dinner was served at 1830 each night, the food was good. there was a meat dish, a fish dish and a veggie dish each night. salad was also an option. 3 courses plus tea/coffee and the added bonus of cheese and biscuits. breakfast was brilliant!!! no fat on the plate once finished. i never eat more than two fried breakfast in any week that i am on holiday and never at home, but i had one each morning and totally enjoyed it. our waiter daniel was great, remembered everything no problem, but all waiting on staff were passing plates to customers instead of placing them on the table. this does not look good but it is also a health & safety issue. hot plates, hot food, spillage - CLAIM!. only a couple of people comented on their dinner saying the meat was a little tough, not bad out of 14 meals.
sophie (reception, sorry not sure if you have a title) was lovely. very considerate and helpfull. cant say the same about kevin. he was mardy, rude and spoke very sharply to a few of my passengers and from what i was told some of the private holiday makers. when he called the bingo he was complaining that the holiday makers should be more quiet so that he could start and that they would be able to hear him, when he got no response he stated over the microphone that he had better things to do that sit there and call bingo for us, and that he was trying to be in two places at once as he was supposed to be on reception!!! this manager seriously needs to go on a course to learn people skills - how to speak to customers and how to smile whilst doing so. he is a bad advertisement in what was otherwise a very nice hotel.
IN SHORT - THIS HOTEL IS GREAT, CLEAN, NICELY DECORATED AND HAS OBVIOUSLY HAD SOME COSMETIC WORK DONE ON IT SINCE SOME OF THE REVIEWS WERE WRITTEN. STAFF ARE FRIENDLY, HELPFULL AND SEEM TO ENJOY THEIR JOBS (except kevin). THE FOOD WAS GOOD, TASTY AND HOT WITH A GOOD CHOICE. ALL IN ALL I WOULD RECOMMEND THE CARLTON FOR GROUPS AND INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE AND IF I GO THE SANDOWN IN THE FUTURE THIS IS WERE I WILL STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank cecoaches
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Sandringham Hotel
#17 of 31 in Sandown
The Wight
The Wight
#6 of 31 in Sandown

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!