I keep saying this in my reviews but this is once again one of the finest resort properties I have ever stayed in. It seems extraordinary expensive and it is, but the stay will convince you that it is worth it.
The owner is retired hedge fund billionaire from New York who bought an entire cattle property on the east coast of the North Island just north of the Bay of Islands because he wanted to build a golf course there. And what a spectacular course it is: superbly maintained, interesting and a real challenge, whichever of the five tees you use. The pro shop is superbly organised and you realise the $NZ400 per round when you find you have the course to yourself and everything is done for you, down to cleaning your clubs ready for the return journey through Australian quarantine.
Having built the course and country club, he added accommodation – of the same standard. From memory, Kauri Cliffs can accommodate 50 or 60, in a series of spacious duplex bungalows with low impact environment friendly profiles. Each bungalow has a huge open plan bedroom sitting area with an open fireplace with views over the golf course to the ocean. There is also a spacious dressing room and an enormous bathroom. Decoration is tasteful and understated with a nod to local materials and tradition.
The resort keeps an excellent table at the clubhouse with fine dining on a changing seasonal menu each night, casual lunches and brilliant breakfasts, which are best taken on the balcony looking south to the Bay of Islands. The excellent food is complemented with an outstanding list of New Zealand wine, which we slowly worked our way through on the four evenings of our visit guided by a knowledgeable sommelier.
The staff were attentive, professional and welcoming from the moment of our arrival till the day of our departure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the far north of New Zealand lies an unspoiled peninsula. High cliffs and a few ranches on this welcoming island which won the hearts of Julian and Josie Robertson. After designing a magnificent 18-hole golf course, the couple created a splendid colonial residence with outlying cottages. Space is the real luxury, the suite an apartment, the bathroom a spa. The epitome of refinement in a distant corner of the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, MrandMrsSmith, Hotels.com, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kauri Cliffs Hotel Matauri Bay
- Kauri Cliffs Hotel Kerikeri
- Kauri Cliffs Kerikeri
- The Lodge At Kauri Cliffs New Zealand/Matauri Bay