We have just returned yesterday from a 2 week stay at the GPB. It is a reflection of the true Caribbean! The reception is done is the old colonial style and is wonderful. We flew Virgin on a new plane and the service was very good.It was the quiet season with the resort at only at 52% capacity but that suited us fine!!
If you are used to pristine 5 star resorts, then this is not for you. If you want to experience Caribbean hospitality and have a truly laid back holiday then this IS for you!
WE stayed in a Beachfront room number 125, which was perfect for us as we traveled with windsurfing equipment. the sea was 12 steps away from our door. We love beaches and this was superb. The sea was aquamarine and warm and the beach was white sand. We swam on the evening we arrived and then lived in the sea until and hour before departure. It was bliss!
Garden view room 127 looked good too with garden and beach views.
The snorkelling was fantastic especially if you went out a little further although for nervous swimmers, fish were around the coastline too. We saw angelfish, damselfish, barracudas, wrasses, snappers and many many more! we took our own gear but borrowed some on the last day and it was better than ours. Some Caribbean resorts have old snorkeling masks but not this one!
The room was fine, the air con quiet and welcome! the bathroom was warm which was quite nice! All clean but a little worn, not surprising given it's location. The paintwork must need constant renovation given sand and salt and it was fine! We loved it. There is a TV but we never turned it on.
The resort is basically on the beach and is fantastically maintained when you think what that must do to woodwork etc...
We did only a couple of trip in our 2 weeks. The stingrays which we weren't going to do but then had a go. We booked with Fifty on the beach and the boat picked us up form the beach which was handy! don't know what happens if you book with the hotel, I think you drive round and then get a boat! Stingray city is in the middle of the ocean but you can stand, it's only waist deep! It was great and we're very glad to have done this. Just a morning trip which was enough. It cost $160 for two of us and $15 for a photo with the stingrays. We also booked with (marvelous) Marvin a half day tour for $80 in his taxi to see nelson's dockyard etc... a super guy and very informative (thanks Marvin)! he has Facebook page apparently! Anyway no problem booking with the guys on the beach, they are great and are always good for a chat and a laugh.
Booked the shuttlebus into St Johns with the hotel $20.00 each. From previous experience in the Caribbean, we only took US dollars. All charges are in US dollars.
The Food was OK. we preferred the Pineapple grill and ate there many times. The Topas was hit and miss and Chief Pietros was generally quite good. Mary's was good for the view not so much for the food though, and the pelican was great for a quick snack. all the staff as mentioned are lovely with no exceptions.in fact the Antiguan people are lovely.
Never used the pools but they looked Ok , you need the tradewinds of the beach to cool you down.
The watersports hut was where we were mostly, we used the Hoby cats, the canoes and my husband windsurfed, quite often with the company of the sports staff! wonderful guys, Hi to Devon,Jo and co.
All in all a wonderful holiday with wonderful people. the staff make the resort and all seem to work as one big family. You quite see the staff from the Photoshop (Hi Brian!) and watersports etc.. playing volleyball with guest on the beach. Thank you all and we will be back!
A couple of tips: Take US$ and take some Deet, this is the Caribbean!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relaxing Adults Only (16 years+) All-Inclusive Resort, located on 30 scenic acres on over a quarter-mile of white sand beach, with turquoise waters and friendly staff. Pineapple Beach Club Antigua is one of Antigua's most popular resorts. 180 well-appointed guest rooms, including garden view, ocean view, beachfront, and waterfront room categories. Three restaurants, numerous bars, water sports, fitness center, tennis courts, evening entertainment, resort activities, and so much more. Book your holiday at Antigua's Most Laid Back All-Inclusive Resort today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Pineapple Beach Club Antigua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Pineapple Beach Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Grand Pineapple Beach Hotel
- Grand Pineapple Antigua
- Grand Pineapple Beach Club
- Pineapple Beach Antigua