“Great destination, great place for a photo”
Review of Route 66

$77.98*
Grand Canyon National Park Bus Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Affectionately dubbed the "Mother Road," this 2,400-mile route was the first all-weather, continuously paved highway linking Chicago and Los Angeles. The storied path is legendary for spawning America's signature roadside architecture and attractions, vestiges of which remain today.
Pisa, Italy
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great destination, great place for a photo”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We've been in November on Az Route 66. It's simply great to stop the car from time to time and take photos. Just remember to get a good car, and leave the engine on. If you turn it off and have battery problems, there's hardly any car passing there, especially the night. I think the best part is between Williams and Seligman. If you're on the freeway I40, there are indications to exit towards the historical route 66.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank Florin T

• Greek first
  • Polish first
England
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“A cool stop off point on the way to the Grand Canyon from Vegas”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stopped off in Seligman on route to the Grand Canyon. It is a good stop off point to see Route 66 and the quirky stores. You can see the inspiration for the movie cars and pick up some cool souvenirs.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank Zulucherry
Nampa, Idaho
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Route 66”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We drove part of the AZ Route 66. It is a very calm drive seeing many interesting relics.
The morning was foggy with ice crystals on the dried grasses and trees. We saw cows and antelope, a young cowgirl moving cows along the fence row, a handsome Native American gentleman (had a wonderful conversation with him) in Peach Springs,great lunch in Westside Lilo's in Seligman, In Oatman and saw a REAL gunfight :-),watch out for the burros in Oatman they tore the bag of fudge right off my arm and we watched them eat both pieces. GREAT RIDE!!

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Wallace R
Ystrad Mynach
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Route 66 review”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

travelled parts of Route 66 with a tour group supporting wounded UK soldiers who travelled as pillion, at no cost to them. Being with these wounded soldiers was a privilege and I learned a lot from their outgoing attitude. Brilliant. The tour itself only covered parts of Route 66, which was a disappointment. However, the parts we did see, Winslow, Victorville, Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater, to name a few places, was good. I wished to photograph many aspects of this wonderful Route 66, but was told off for stopping to take pictures. As I have said above, the soldiers were brilliant and central to the tour, but the tour itself, for me, was too restrictive and controlled, e.g., riding in convoy style, concentrating on keeping safe gaps between bikes, being unable to stop and take pictures when you wanted to, as much of the scenery was ridden through at speed or boring interstate. Route 66 was great, and I will travel it again but next time solo and at a more enjoyable pace too, as it has many other interesting areas we did not, sadly, cover. Tbrockett.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank YstradMynachAmb
Rustenburg, South Africa
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 165 helpful votes
“Superb, but you have to be 'into it'...”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Route 66 is a cult thing. I don't believe a quick look does it justice. I have been on Route 66 three times. We did the Texas part in a car years ago when the kids were small. I returned in 2009 to do the AZ - CA part on a Harley by myself, and then did the other part again alone on a Harley in 2012. I can now say I have ridden every inch of the famous route, some parts twice. But back to where I started. Some people drive along the Interstate and stop in at a few Route 66 highlights along the way. Those same people usually express disappointement in the route. What they don't understand is that they have not really ridden Route 66. You need to read the history, get into the mood, and drive or ride an appropriate vehicle, then get some good guide books and maps, and trace the original route - IF you want the full experience. Get this: Route 66 does not always trace a picturesque route; it is often not a great road. The surface can be medicre, or even poor. There are few services in some parts. The temptation to blast along the Interstate is great, especially when you are battling to find the original road where it has 'disappeared'. This is where the maps and guidebooks and GPS routes come in. But if you persevere, you WILL be rewarded with a really spritual experience. If you are not THAT into it, rather stay home and watch a movie. But for me, and many like me, it is the trip of a lifetime. I will always remember the intense heat through Death Valley, and near Roy's Roadhouse, where my Harley was running low on gas and the fuel stops seemed so far apart. I will remember coming in to Needles as the sun set, and the cold as I rode the mountain passes into CA after sunset. If this sounds like you, you HAVE to do it.

Visited June 2012
21 Thank GwilymHowes

Been to Route 66? Share your experiences!