“a family celebration” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Picasso's - CLOSED

Picasso's
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
“a family celebration”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a Spanish style restaurant serving both Italian and English food at very good prices and quality. It is very family friendly and ideal for all family occassions, birthday parties etc
The staff are very good with the children and always make a fuss of them

Visited November 2013

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Yummy bargain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Myself, my Mum, Brother and Sister in Law, along with four children were looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful to eat whilst visiting my Mum last Saturday, and Picasso's didn't let us down! Despite not having booked and there being a large group of us (including a request for two highchairs) the staff were unfazed, and we were seated almost immediately. The waiter brought some crayons and colouring paper for our two older children to keep them amused, and all the staff were very child friendly and welcoming towards us.

We were given warm fresh bread to get us started, and given plenty of time to look at the menu. We chose from the happy hour, which was very reasonably priced around the £5 for three courses. We all had potato skins to start, and then a mixture of pasta and pizza for main. The skins were a generous portion and came with a choice of either BBQ sauce or garlic. I then opted for a Pepperoni pizza, which was a decent size (I couldn't finish it!) and was lovely, just a bit spicy with plenty of topping. We then had the option of coffee or ice cream, although we were all full at this point so we declined!

The children's meals were also excellent, around £4 for main and desert. All kids opted for chicken strips with beans and fresh, chunky chips. Again a big portion, my youngest (19 months) and myneice (15 months) were able to share. Then a bowl of ice cream afterward with their choice of topping.

The interior of the restaurant is attractive - done out in shades of red with fairy lights and some wall stickers. There was plenty of room between tables and the bar area had comfortable seats decorated with vintage style cushions.

Overall I was really impressed with my trip to Picasso's, as was the rest of my family. The service was efficient and polite, the food plentiful, and the bill low. We will be returning!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank JRFLNewcastle
London, United Kingdom
“Light hearted & relaxing family restaurant with a nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Having heard of Picasso's in Whitley Lodge we decided to drop in for an early Friday dinner and see what they had to offer.

The bill was £60 for three with drinks which I thought was excellent value and when the waiter picked up his guitar and began singing with some well timed humour it made the evening. What a lovely surprise.

I had the 'Black Pudding popular' with peppercorn sauce to start and I must say when it arrived it didn't look too appetising ! Two standard slices of black pudding stacked in the middle of a plate of peppercorn sauce that had begun to skin. I guess it was what it said on the menu but the presentation kind of let it down. The Black Pudding was a little too crisp on the edges for me but tasted lovely and the peppercorn sauce was delicious albeit a little too much it was almost like a soup. A larger plate with the Black Pudding arranged with a little crisp garnish and a small jug of peppercorn sauce would have made this dish perfect so I could control the amount of sauce and would have lifted the presentation.

My main was the Pasta La Barca, which was a Chili con Carne, on spaghetti topped with lashings of parmigiano and with just the right amount of spice it was also delicious and a very generous portion.

So yes, the food was delicious and tasty. It is what every diner wants when they go to any restaurant and add good value to that and you have it made.

A very minor niggle was leaving the side plates, unused wine glasses and bread basket on the table through starters and mains.

So would the presentation stop me from returning? No it wouldn't because tasty food will bring me back anywhere and I'll shout it from the rooftops to make sure my friends and family can enjoy it too.

The menu is comprehensive so there is plenty of scope to return and try the rest of it out which I'm looking forward to. The chef obviously knows how to produce tasty food and it was tasty but the presentation could do with a tweak to compliment the diner.

I urge anyone looking for a nice friendly restaurant to entertain the family to look up Picasso's in Whitley Lodge. There's plenty of parking outside and it's all on ground level.

I will be back.

• Visited November 2013
Whitley Bay
“Disappointing, a stark contrast to other reviews”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We went for lunch today, with high hopes given the reviews and also a recommendation from a friend. Unfortunately the food was quite a disappointment.

We ended up ordering from the main menu, rather than going for a meal deal. I ordered the shrimp cocktail which was quite small and sat on lettuce past its best. Conversely, my husband ordered the fried brie which was a great portion size and tasted great.

For a main, I had the Crab Pesto on penne. It was very fishy, almost to the point of being inedible and the penne was overcooked (mushy). My husband had the seafood risotto which I'm pretty certain wasn't made with risotto rice. It was effectively rice in a very bland tomato sauce with seafood. It was virtually tasteless.

We won't be back. For the price, it doesn't compare in the slightest - in either atmosphere or food quality - to Davanti's in Whitley Bay where everything I've had there has been rather delightful.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Judy C, Owner at Picasso's, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
I am dissapointed kjobe`s party did not enjoy their meal here. We have discussed the matter with our chefs, and will learn lessons from the points raised. I only wish the group had mentioned their dissappointment at the time, and we would have tried to deal with it while they were there.I am afraid we do make mistakes, but we are always happy to receive honest criticism like this, and deal with it appropriately
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“Gets better all the time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Completely agree with Paul from Whitley Bay about PIcasso's. The food is getting better all the time. I was talking to the owner and he said they've got a new chef, and are getting another one soon. Plus a new menu! But I told him he needs more advertising, not that it was quiet.

I don't suppose a local restaurant would ever be considered for a Michelin Star would it? How do you get those?

• Visited September 2013