“SO RELAXED....”

Cuisines: Italian, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Well...he felt decidedly jaded...looked less than enthusiastic when I told him I had booked Sunday lunch out...BUT ...East coast taxis picked us up bang on time...notified by text....and off we went.....................................
To Picasso's at Whitley Lodge. Here we bumped into many from the jazz crowd we know, and after meeting and greeting, began immediately, feeling at home.

After being shown to our favourite table and giving our order to lovely Zoe...he turned to me and said...." This is alright....I feel better already!" It was indeed the tonic he needed. After feeling a bit low...he was now relaxing and enjoying the ambience, the music...Vieux Carre were playing gentle old time favourites and the meal was superb.

The service from the lovely Zoe and Pepe...and indeed Judy, was excellent the food was excellent and so were Brian Bennett's melodic quartet.

A thoroughly wonderful, relaxed, superbly fed Sunday lunch The only thing that puzzles me...is why were there so few of us enjoying this event? Is this the best kept secret in Whitley?

1  Thank CarolM190932
There are newer reviews for Picasso's

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have been a customer of Picasso's for on and off for the past 20 years service is always very good, staff are friendly, food is ok nothing to rant and rave about but pleasant and for the last 5 years extremely handy as we live literally around the corner.

This evening I went for happy hour with my two children 3 and 9 months and my friend with her two ( the same age as mine ) . My friend has just moved into the area and had never been to Picasso's so I suggested that we go this evening.

Being with small children we in all honesty must have misread the menu we thought it was 3 courses for £6.95 and 2 courses for £4.95. We decided to just have 3 main meals between us and let the children have some ice cream as a treat. The food came pizzas and pastas all absolutely fine. I then asked for 3 ice creams as part of the happy hour. The waiter brought 3 very small childrens plastic bowls over of two tiny scoops of vanilla ice cream. The children thoroughly enjoyed them. On paying the bill (£28), which again without thinking we paid, just as we were leaving I thought that seemed quite expensive considering the food should only have been £15!

The owner (male) explained the bill to me as we were leaving. We had been charged £2 each for a tiny bowl of ice cream and that it was £6.95 for 2 courses and an extra 75p if you chose to have ice cream . My friend was extremely annoyed and the owner got quite shirty in response and she told him that she would not be returning as the menu was very misleading.

After getting both children to bed the more annoyed about the whole thing I got , £2 for the tiniest bit of ice cream - surely there had to be a mistake. I decided to go back and speak to the owner and give them the benefit of the doubt.

I spoke to the lady owner this time and explained what had happened and she seemed to be already aware of the situation. I admitted that we probably hadn't read the menu properly and she admitted that the waiter had probably thought we were on the 3 course happy hour menu ......... Ok, so why charge an extra £2 !!? We stood looking in silence at each other - no offer of I am sorry you can have 2 free drinks next time you're in ( soft ones would have been fine ), absolutely nothing. I turned and walked out, thoroughly disappointed in the customer care and we won't be returning!

So from now on we will be going to either Michelinos on South Parade, which is excellent all round and the kids eat freewith every paying adult, or Sambuccas - £3.95 for three courses! Unfortunately the The only problem is that they are not just around the corner!

2  Thank Chumleys1
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Fantastic Food! Fantastic Service! Food arrived nice and quickly, staff were very attentive. Will be returning!

2  Thank Thomas S
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Delighted to say that we enjoyed our lunchtime enormously!

When Brian Bennett advised us of his forthcoming gig at Picasso's on 24 Februay...we just had to participate. We were not dissapointed. There was a lively atmosphere, which is usually present at jazz functions and everyone agreed the venue superb. We had a most enjoyable, well cooked meal which was beautifyully served by Hollie and Dan. Charming and delightful and helpful they were too. We loved the little interlude during theband's break, of the guitar playing and singing by one of the waiters!. . So much so that we shall certainly make a point of going again. The whole experience was relaxed and enjoyable...the food delicious...can't wait to repeat this outing.

3  Thank CarolM190932
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have visited this restaurant quite a few times over the last 15 years. I hadn't been for 2 years due to moving home but decided to call back as I had always enjoyed the food there.

To my surprise, the food was really poor. The potato skins (you can't go wrong) were fine. The cannelloni was burnt on the outside, cold on the inside and the mince had no taste whatsoever.

We then came to the dessert. My favourite has always been creme brulee. I don't know what kind of training the chef has had but I received a pot of plain (maybe whipped) cream with a custard top. Just awful and certainly not what you can call a creme brulee.

It was so disappointing.

I am so sad to say that I will not be visiting what used to be a favourite restaurant of mine, ever again.

2  Thank Jude R
Judy C, Owner at Picasso's, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

March 13. I am sorry Jude R did not enjoy her visit here in November. If the food was as she described, I can only apologise. We're certainly not perfect, and the one thing I would say is that we encourage people to mention on the night if they're unhappy as we're keen to put things right if we can, and also avoid future mistakes.