“Was brilliant for years but what a drop in standards”
Review of Picasso's - CLOSED

Picasso's
Cuisines: Italian, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Was brilliant for years but what a drop in standards”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have visited this restaurant quite a few times over the last 15 years. I hadn't been for 2 years due to moving home but decided to call back as I had always enjoyed the food there.

To my surprise, the food was really poor. The potato skins (you can't go wrong) were fine. The cannelloni was burnt on the outside, cold on the inside and the mince had no taste whatsoever.

We then came to the dessert. My favourite has always been creme brulee. I don't know what kind of training the chef has had but I received a pot of plain (maybe whipped) cream with a custard top. Just awful and certainly not what you can call a creme brulee.

It was so disappointing.

I am so sad to say that I will not be visiting what used to be a favourite restaurant of mine, ever again.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Jude R
Judy C, Owner at Picasso's, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
March 13. I am sorry Jude R did not enjoy her visit here in November. If the food was as she described, I can only apologise. We're certainly not perfect, and the one thing I would say is that we encourage people to mention on the night if they're unhappy as we're keen to put things right if we can, and also avoid future mistakes.

Newcastle upon Tyne
“Fantastic friendly restaurant”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I went to Picasso with a group of friends and we chose from the evening special menu. I had the soup of the day - Tomato and red pepper, which was delicious and followed this was Matriciana penne and again this was delicious. There is an option to add coffee or ice-cream for an extra 75p but I was too full! A great night out at a reasonable price, can't wait to return.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Geordie_Duo
Newcastle upon tyne
“Very Good,, but AVOID the steak!”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We visited picassos early January for the 1st time after it was recommended by a friend. The restaurant is very nice, with friendly staff and a warm atmosphere. We went for a birthday, therefore were ordering from the main menu and not there for the what seems to be the popular "happy hour" We ordered various starters which were all very good, but when it came to the mains, I ordered a sirloin steak in Diane sauce, at nearly £16, I expected a nice prime juicy steak, but what turned up was a very thin what I can only describe as "supermarket quality" sirloin, which I could have picked up in asda for about £3, with some sauce over the top and a side bowl of chips.....very disappointing for nearly £16. All the other main courses looked very nice and everyone commented how good they were, so overall very good, and we will probably return, but I definitely won't be ordering a steak !!

3 Thank billyg240
Judy C, Owner at Picasso's, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
I am pleased Billyg enjoyed his visit to Picasso's - apart from the steak of course. I hope you mentioned it at the time - we take pride in correcting mistakes when we make them. Billy - when you come back, as we hope you will, let us know you're the one who wrote the review, and a free steak will be yours to make up for last time.
Judy Cartledge
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“Fab family friendly restaurant”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My family and i had the most amazing meal at Picassos on Friday 4th January. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming, the atmosphere was amazing and the food was delicious. We went early as the children are young but it was still lively, by the time we were leaving the place was very busy so i would recommend booking a table. We will definitely be going back !

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank claire w
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Great Mediterranean”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Lovely food, great choice friendly staff and very well priced. Call in a little early and sit and have a pre meal drink in little lounge area. Bellisimo!!

Visited December 2012