“Bathroom in a box”

Ranked #19 of 23 Whitley Bay B&B and Inns
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Bathroom in a box”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

The reason ive called it bathroom in a box, is when your on the loilett you'll realise your arm will be in the shower and your veiw of the bathroom will be ripped up wall paper and dripping mold followed by a broken towel rail. When ariving youll possible be interagated of the reason of your stay, as for beakfast in the mornings you'll wish you hadn't 1 egg,1 sausage witch im sure it groow in my rooms bathroom 2 slices of cardboard bacon served with brik bread thats if the waitres deivers your order. But a cuple of positives our room had sea view and lots of tv channels witch you will need as you wont sleep on then hard bed. The reason im giving it 2stars and not 1 it great location and the lovely italian restaurant 2 doors up.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Hotspur1982

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Brighouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

How this place was awarded 4 star rating beats me, we were greeted by a gentleman who was more concern over payment than greeting us. The odour was terrible,the breakfast was poor to say the least, would not recommend this place to anyone, stay here at your peril. Sorry to have to write such a poor report, but people should know how poor this place is.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trevor659

Travelers are raving about these Whitley Bay hotels

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Me and my friends stayed here for an overnight, definete value for money, the staff were very welcoming and also changed our room to a sea front view which was lovley! We were also aloud to stay on for a few hours and check out at 12.30 instead of 10.30 the following morning which helped us out alot as our train wasnt until 4pm! The rooms were comfortable spacious and clean! I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would defo stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had a great stay at the Marlborough Hotel in Whitley Bay. Very friendly, good service with a great location on the seafront and great value for money. Nice a quiet at night with some good restaurants on a few meters walk along the promenade. I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Somerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This place, which should not hold the title of a hotel in our opinion, was shabby and dated. On arrival greeted by a gentleman who was more concerned about us paying the balance of our stay than greeting us and offering us a welcome. Prior to paying any more money we asked to be shown the room. We were given the key and left to find our own way to the room. We took one look and decided immediately this was no place for us to stay. Don't believe the pictures of the Dining Room there was not a tablecloth in sight. How it attained a 4-star rating we have no idea. Wouldn't recommend it to our worst enemy. Needless to say we found alternative accommodation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank theburvs
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant little b+b friendly staff good value for money!!! Defiantly stay again.super location right next to the sea!!! Good breakfast clean room good price could not be more helpfull stayed here for 4 nights every1 seemed to be happy with hotel 5 minute walk from shops perfect for children and family's!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Hull
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Booked through booking.com £45 night twin room.
On arrival I was informed breakfast was not included in the price. Not a problem, so I asked if. I could pay extra (£5 per person per day) for the breakfast which the owner came across as not keen on and immediately stated that "they do not do early breakfasts!"
She repeated a couple of times that "most people" just have cereals for breakfast. Well I prefer a cooked breakfast when staying in hotels thank you.
I was quite surprised at this due to Whitley bay hardly being in holiday maker season, you would have thought that they would be catering for business folk and contractors at this time of year for income.

Downstairs and the breakfast area of the hotel was quite nicely decorated. On paying for the room I made my way on to the second floor to room 8. Immediately it is apparent when walking through the door on to the first floor landing this hotel is in serious need of modernisation, was like something out of the 70's

Although the room was reasonably clean, it was freezing when we first went in. Only form of heating was a plug in radiator that took ages to warm the room up. The beds where very uncomfortable. The manly 70's headboard was broken. Lovely view toward the rear of the hotel, showing some kind of dumping ground for the hotels unwanted items (personally it looked terrible there are things called skips nowadays where you throw old rubbish into and they take it away)

The bathroom wasn't much better. A very strange 3/4 length bath that me a 6'2" man could not fit in. I opted for a shower which only took me around 15 mins to master the temperature without ether being frozen or scalded also more of a trickle from the shower head . After my shower I had a shave in the basin. No plug to be had anywhere! Big crack all across the basin too, not to mention no hot water only out of the basin taps for some reason (not because all the hot water had been used, was like it every day.

Surely breakfast would make up for it???
Yes you guessed, not on your nelly. I asked for a full English. Breakfast came on some 3/4 sized plates. One rasher of bacon, one sausage. One egg that was snotty and not cooked enough, and a teaspoon of beans. Not very nice really. Next day I opted for beans on toast. This time I think I probably got a tablespoons worth carefully spread very thinly over a slice of only what I can describe as 3/4 sized toast.

I was expecting a little more for £55 (inc 2 breakfasts) pounds a night and quite honestly I should be getting more at that price

• Stayed February 2013