“Very noisy”

Ranked #9 of 23 Whitley Bay B&B and Inns
Hopton
“Very noisy”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here while traveling around the country. The owner was very friendly and stopped what he was doing to personally show us to our room. The room was certainly not plush but was comfortable. We left for the day and returned about 7 PM expecting to eat dinner there. When we entered the dining area, it was empty and a waitress told us they stop serving at 6 PM. It would have been nice if the staff would have told us that little fact. We were so tired at that point we didn't want to go out again so just went to our room and ate some crackers that we had with us. The bar music was very loud and the people in the room next to us had their TV so loud, even at 2 and 3 AM that it was impossible to sleep. The breakfast the next morning was very good and plentiful but not good enough to make us want to go back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JM P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Northumberland
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have had Sunday lunch here for years and it was really great.Served on large white plates with wonderful meat, roast potatoes,huge Yorkshire pudd and real gravy. A wide selection of veg served in individual dishes.Now however since April 2013 it is under new management.The people at the Killingworth Arms now have it.It is now a carvery.Stand in line for your food served on really small plates.The meat has been overcooked and the veg is an absolute disgrace. It is on a hot plate and in containers swilling with water.carrots and peas sloshing about. The cabbage impossible to drain.Turnip and mash a slop.I suspect the yorkshires were frozen.The gravy rank.Plenty of food just horrible.When I complained they offered me a new meal. I did not want more of the same.
Before writing this honest review I decided to give the boss who had not been there an opportunity to discuss this with me. I rang the Killingworth Arms and the staff said he was not there and didnot know where he was. They asked what the problem was.I explained and was told they would give him my complaint and my phone number and he would contact me. Still waiting. I am very disappointed and I have to say I did notice that a lot of the regulars had given it a swerve also.
such a shame a nice little pub in a great location. So I would advise try somewhere else.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank doreen c

Travelers are raving about these Whitley Bay hotels

Albury, Australia
Reviewed June 5, 2013

my wife and i stayed at The Waterford Arms on the way from london to scotland and glad we stopped there. Clean room great views and dinner and breakfast were extra special. Staff were so freindly and helpful and very reasonable tarrif. Would recommend it to anyone who is in the area.

Room Tip: room with ocean veiws
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bryan s
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a short vacation in off season, pub was pretty dead but staff were very helpful and freindly. Food in the evening was typical pub food but very well cooked. Room was nothing special but clean and good value.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Big_Shug
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The Waterford Arms has long been a favourite of ours, and we often get requests from family visiting us from other parts of the country to go there for the famous "whale and chips" - so called due to the size of the fish they serve. That was the reason for our visit recently, my brother is visiting and requested that we eat here.
We haven't been since the change of management but were pleased to see no radical change has taken place to the decor, however the welcome we received on arrival was certainly not what it used to be. Don't get me wrong, it was not actually hostile, but there was no smile, no small talk, no attempt to make us feel welcome. Two dirty coffee cups remained on the small table where we sat and waited, and the man who I presume is the new manager did not speak to us, even when coming to check on our table when we were eating.
It is a real shame, because the food was excellent and is reasonably priced. It would not take much to make this place a real joy to visit - just a friendly word, a warm welcome and some attention to detail.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Today i was passing by and decided to just pop in and have fish since its well known for excellent cod.The price was unbelievably cheap for the quality of the food.All i can say it was excellent and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed February 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Me, my husband and our two small children arrived at the Waterford Arms without a booking on a Saturday tea-time hoping we could be squeezed in on short notice. The waiting staff were very accomodating and found us a spot and provided clean highchairs (you would be surprised how few establishments bother to wipe down baby equipment before sending it out for people to use).

We ordered and were all delighted with our meals. My husband had the medium fish & chips, which he thoroughly enjoyed. My three year old gobbled her entire meal in double-quick time (sausage & mash), then proceeded to try bits of her dad's fish & my pasta. I am a vegetarian myself and have become used to being dished up scorched microwave meals or over cooked veggies covered with cheese in pubs. Not today though, I ordered the vegetarian lasagne which was clearly freshly made and packed full of perfectly cooked (not at all mushy) vegetables. The dish was even seasoned and flavoursome and everything. A rare treat!

We had a lovely meal and will definitely be back to sample more of the menu soon...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 9 in Whitley Bay
Lighthouse Guesthouse
Lighthouse Guesthouse
#1 of 23 in Whitley Bay

Been to Waterford Arms? Share your experiences!