“Good Location and Friendly Staff”

Windsor Hotel - Whitley Bay
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Whitley Bay
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I booked this hotel as I fancied a few days close to the beach and hadn't been to Whitley Bay before. The hotel is on what locals refer to as 'the Strip' - a road full of hotels and bars. Having said that half of them were boarded up. Clearly tourism is not doing so well here. There were a lot of stag and hen do's. Our room was a bit noisy on first night, although this did quieten down at 9pm. The staff were very understanding about this and although couldn't move us that night as full, did move us the following day to a room at the back of the building, which was actually bigger too. The staff were very friendly and we were treated very well. Breakfast was a bit basic. You had to make your own instant coffee and toast and on second morning I had to ask for fruit and yogurts which hadn't been put out. We took our dog, and the staff were great with him too. The beach is literally a one minute walk and we also took advantage of the Metro link - into Newcastle within 30 mins.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a party of 16 other woman for a friends 40th. Brilliant location if your wanting to visit Whitley Bay for the nightlife. The staff with very very friendly and extremely efficient on checking in. The rooms were spotless. Clean towels and bedding. Breakfast spot on. Plenty of choice. Even had drinks in the hotel bar. Cannot fault hotel one bit and would definitely recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband & I took our 4yr old grandson to whitley bay and we stayed at the Windsor hotel.
After reading some of the bad reviews on here I was extremely pleased when entering the hotel that the reception looked very newly decorated in a contempary style. The receptionist who checked us in was extremely friendly & welcoming. The room was rather basic but very well presented & clean. It was very central to the town. Unfortunately it's also close to pubs & a nightclub which did cause some rowdy noise until early hours. We had breakfast the next morning which was a little disappointing but when we raised our concerns over it our suggestions were took seriously and promised to be looked at. The positives, way out numbered the negatives during our stay. We felt that the hotel was looked upon by the manager & his staff more than just their jobs. All of them went out of their way to make sure our stay was a pleasant one and that nothing was too much trouble. Will
Definitely be returning :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed at the Windsor hotel mid week and have nothing bad to say. The hotel rooms and bathrooms were clean, the food was exceptional and the staff were all friendly, especially the Australian waitress Shirley who served me breakfast and serviced my room.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My partner and I stayed for 2 nights over a weekend, and really have nothing bad to say about the hotel.

We were greeted by helpful, friendly staff. The room was a decent size and clean, big tv with coffee/tea facilities and an ensuite bathroom which was just as clean. The room decor isn't particularly 'modern' but that really doesn't matter in my opinion! As it was a weekend I could hear some people in the late hours in the street, but that's to be expected if you've chosen a hotel near bars. My partner didn't actually hear a thing. It is less than a minute to the seafront which is also a bonus!

The breakfast was especially nice and included in the price of the room - there's a lot to choose from and again the staff serving are polite, efficient and friendly.

I have to say, the staff at the hotel are exceptional. I (stupidly) left my iPod and phone charger in the room after I checked out... They rang to tell me I had left it and kept it behind reception for me to pick up. I appreciate their honesty and am very grateful!

Overall we had a great stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I booked a long weekend at The Windsor Hotel for my Wife and I for our Grandson's Christening, I picked the Windsor for 2 reasons, I have stayed there before on business and they have a secure car park.

On arrival noticed that the gate to the secure car park was open and broken and it stayed like that all weekend, thus one of the reasons for picking the Windsor dashed from the start.

We booked in and were allocated room 28, whilst climbing the stairs we noticed that the thread on the stair carpet was frayed all the way up, once we got in the room we immediately noticed a difference between the en-suite (really nice) and the room, dated with frayed carpet between room and en-suite.

Once checked in we went out to see our Grandson. On return there was no one at reception to get the key off, after waiting 5 minutes I went through to bar to find no one there either and then checked the restaurant and could not find anyone there either. After a further 5 minutes of waiting at reception and no sign of anyone I went through to the bar and restaurant again and this time found someone with very poor English in the restaurant and told her I needed my key for my room. After a further 5 minutes a couple of people came running through and apologised for the wait, but informed me it was the bar managers birthday and they were all singing happy birthday to him. I don't think this is an excuse for the wait of leaving these areas unmanned.

We did not sleep very well as the room was on South Parade but it was not the noise but the light that kept us both awake, you would have thought rooms on this side of the Hotel would have blackout curtains as the light from the street light came into the room all night long.

Breakfast the next morning was not much better, and there was an obvious staff shortage. It was a full 15 minutes seated at the table before we were acknowledged and asked if we wanted a drink, all in all Breakfast took and hour and a quarter from start to finish, we were not in a rush, but if I had been on business and a time scale I would not have bothered and left without eating. Although the food once got was of good quality, it was not as if restaurant was busy with only 16 people in it including us when we arrived.

Again we went out for the day only to return at 10pm and have to wait 5 minutes again in an unmanned Reception and bar area to get our key. Again a room full of light all night did not give us a good nights sleep.

The Breakfast Sunday morning was a bit quicker but it appeared that a Group of young Asian girls had priority over everyone else as they just walked in and went to the bar area in restaurant and ordered their breakfast whilst the rest of us waited again for our orders to be taken, although with 2 staff on it was a bit quicker than the Saturday service.

After the Christening on Sunday we returned to the Hotel about 8pm for a drink and a bar snack. We got our key straight away which was a first, but then had to wait 10 minutes for a member of staff to arrive in the bar to take our order. I almost helped myself which would have been very easy to do.

Whilst we were eating 4 unsupervised young children came into the bar to play Pool, they were very noisy and it did not let us enjoy our meal, it appeared as if the member of bar staff had been asked to supervise the children, but they were not taking a lot of notice. We ate our meal and went to bed early.

We did not wait to have breakfast on Monday morning and just packed up and left when we woke up.

When I had stayed at this hotel previously it had been great and the fact it had a secure car park in this area was a bonus, but on this visit it appeared to be a different hotel.

When we visit the area next we will certainly look for somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room at front of hotel, otherwise you may as well leave the lights on all night
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Checked in for 1 night as my employer could not get me in anywhere in Newcastle for that night . Entrance is stylish and modern. Polite and helpful female receptionist checked me in. Lift smelt as did narrow and hideous decorated corridors. Small room but initial impression was clean. Mixture of dated and modern furniture and decor. Hideous bedspread (not duvets) with 2 wafer thin pillows but comfy bed. Initial impression of bathroom clean but cup had toothpaste stains and toothpaste residue in sink and small piece of poo stuck to toilet bottom, which no amount of flushing would remove. It eventually left the next morning after about 20 flushes. Receptionist had told me they were full so did not even bother to request a change of room. Hotel is 2 minutes from beach and had a lovely walk to Tyne-mouth. Back in the room I watched my very old TV and tried to relax. It all kicked off at about 8 with the nightclubs across the road . Music so loud it sounded like it was beneath my room. Seriously, was so loud I could not concentrate to read my book and this went on until 3 am when the music stopped. By 9 if had the spare cash would have checked out, and by 9:30 was about to text a friend in Newcastle to crash on her couch.Fell asleep at about 3:15 and woke up at 6:40 with the upstairs creaky floorboards, water pipe noise and outside road cleaners. Breakfast was good and costs £7:95 for fruit, yoghurt, toast cereal, full cooked and omelette, juice, coffee etc. My scrambled egg and bacon was excellent. The breakfast is the second cheapest I have seen in my year in Newcastle hotels (Sleeperz is the cheapest). Could not get out quick enough and glad receptionist did not ask me if I enjoyed my stay as I would have burst out laughing and she was very nice actually. This place is perfect for hen and stag nights with the clubs, bars and beach but if you are staying here on a weekend you will not get more than a few hours kip, if my employer was not paying I think I would have refused to pay and to be honest I think my employer should get a refund . If the manager responds to this do NOT put in your reply that the rooms are being upgraded and my room was not one of them, because that line has even used in responses since 2011, understood? Will I stay here again. What do you think. Steve room 34 on 27/04/2013.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3 mi away
Village Hotel Newcastle
Village Hotel Newcastle
#27 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Windsor Hotel - Whitley Bay? Share your experiences!