“Dingy, ghaslty & a huge rip off!!”

Windsor Hotel - Whitley Bay
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Whitley Bay
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Bad manners on reception matched the bad cleanliness!! Why have glass screens to look good if you don't clean them - covered in greasy hand prints. Ripped off totally at £140 per night (not including breakfast) due to it being the Great North Run. Insisted on payment on arrival on the Saturday "because it was the weekend".......however someone arrived sunday and they could pay when they left???
Set off to room.......urgh!! I thought someone was still in bed!! Grotty hole that was unclean - with previous guests dirty linen, coffee cup and bathroom towels!! Urgh!!
Back down to reception.....receptionist didn't want to give us another room - someone more senior thankfuly did!! Else it was a long way back to South Wales!!
Next room - better. Peeled off dingy looking green 70's beadspread and felt much better.
Oddly the bed linen doesn't smell. Doesn't smell clean or laundered. Long story short - us and other guests slept in our clothes!!! One did take a spare pillow out of the wardrobe. That smelt!! Of someone else's head!! Urgh!!
Breakfast £8.95. Edible, but tasteless. Nothing to write home about.
The help yourself muesli and yogurts could have done with a bit of a dust off before being laid out though....perhaps even flatten the yogurt pot lids so they look new??
The bar.....ha ha!! Someones front room more like!! Needs a serious update and needs to open!! Runners getting in on the Sunday afternoon 4pm time, wanted a pint or 2 to celebrate!! Nope!! Head to pub up the road!!
Didn't dare risk eating there in the evenings, went out both nights - so can't comment on that.
Wallpaper hanging off EVERYWHERE!!! Dreadful state!! Stained bedroom carpets. Filthy filthy filthy windows!! With dirty net curtains!! Oh joy!!
That's it really! Wouldn't stay again - even if I was paid.
Opposite a couple of loud and rough nightclubs too - so slept like log! Not.
Needs a huge overhaul. New owners. New management.
Disgrace to the hospitality arena.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank RebeccaP17
Steven M, General Manager at Windsor Hotel - Whitley Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

As new manager of the Windsor hotel at this point I firstly apologize for any inconvenience caused. I find a few factors such as the price of breakfast a little strange as does not match to our prices. I was also on site the whole day and following morning and had nothing highlighted to myself.
I hope that I can discuss this with yourself and ask that you contact me at your convenience.

Many Thanks
Steven Moore
0191 251 88 88

Reviewed October 3, 2012

When we got there me and the wife fort it looked ok from the outside then when we got to reception well who ever the young lass was on reception she didn't have a clue. Bad start. So we went to are room which was lovely clean tidy and smelt brilliant. We then went out for some food and drinks and found a lovely pub that suited us perfectly. By the time we got back the nightshift had started(dan) what a bloke we sat at the bar talking away to him he was brilliant kept us entertained and when I needed a little more bedding he could not if done anymore for us. So keep it up dan we will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Punklife

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback, here at the Windsor Hotel we pride ourselves in our high standards but like to create a homely atmosphere for customers to relax in. Over the next few months the rooms are going through a refurbishment program to ensure the standards can only increase further.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

having made a last minute booking to this hotel to say i was not sure what i had let myself in for. What a shock upon arrival we received a nice greeting alocated a very nice room which was comfortable and clean something some hotels do not even get right. Having went along to Tynemouth for meal and a few drinks we came back to the hotel to have a few drinks the in house bar was a warm homely feel to it. After awhile my wife went off to bed and i got chatting to the nightporter who let me watch what i wanted (for once the wife was not in control) and went out of his way to share the local knowledge and keep as making sure i was topped up. As the morning came i was dealt with in a nice professional way that makes me think this hotel was a really good find.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liam J

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Went for two night break with my partner,the hotel was clean tidy and staff very friendly ,however the stay was spoiled by the rowdy street on sat night . It was full of strip clubs and drunk girls and boys loud thumping music screaming and shouting went on till 3 am in the morning just impossible to get any sleep ,the hotel does a late breakfast till eleven o clock in the morning now I know why people were still coming in at 4 am,I realise the hotel is not to blame for that but whitley bay council should look at the behaviour of these establishments girls with very little on we're coming over to young men asking them to come over to their bars ,a wee bit off putting . So if it's a quiet time you want don't go to Whitley bay fri or sat or better still not at all it's we'll past it's sell by date entertainment nil unless your a stag or hen party. Won't be back,

Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank sally186534
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Last minute decision to stay and was not disappointed. Lovely clean room and bathroom. Quiet as was during the week. Would definitely return and would like to try their restaurant next time. Staff very helpful

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank debbie3062

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Arrived to find a smiling face and helpful receptionist , room a little tired but spacious with usual amenities . Restaurant service excellent and food top 'nosh' . Try for a back room as a little noisy in the front late at night .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paulwref1
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Having traveled to many hotesl on business i stay in one hotel from the other and some are great and others are average but three nights here i feel the need to say thank you for such great service with that in mind staff here are polite and smartly dressed ok the bar has a old theme to it but it hits you with a nice warm welcome that makes you feel safe as you are looked after. The food is of a good value i ordered a medium rib eye steak and it was so tasty and well presented. Also with the fact the hotel is right near the beach when you have time to go and have a walk and take in the scenery of the area makes you feel like i made good choice from the city center hotels. Well on the whole my room was big serviced daily and the breakfasts made it worth waking up for so when i am next up here i will be back.

Room Tip: Try the breakfasts