“Enjoyable stay”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Whitley Bay
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed here over the weekend with some friends and it had all i needed and more. Upon checking in i seen how the outside looked alot more modern then some of the hotels in the area seemed didn't blow me head off over the price ether. What i got for my money was a good standard of service a clean room near the beach having checked in late i had a option of trying the next door resturant and then able to use the bar area as well. All in all my stay was a nice change from the run of the mill chain hotels and seem to recieved service with a smile from non robots with that in mind i will be looking to stay again when am in the area

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Peterlee
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

The Windsor is a pleasantly old fashioned traditional hotel. Its looking a little tired round the edges, few threadbare carpets, peeling wall paper etc but the service is very good and it is the best place to stay in town on a Saturday night. The location is superb, half way down South Parade and right amongst all the nightlife that Whitley Bay has to offer. It can be a little loud, especially the front rooms but I'm guessing that that is the main reason why anyone goes to WB in the first place. It has attached bars for if you want a quiet drink after the rowdiness of the street outside and a perfectly acceptable breakfast.
I've stayed here at least a dozen times and would not stay anywhere else in town - if the Windsor is full, we go to York, Leeds or somewhere else instead!
I much prefer it's policy of charging extra for breakfast - the rack rate goes down £10 instead - I you want breakfast plenty of cares and a Weatherspoons nearby.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank monkeyhangingpoolie
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on business and I was in the area , there didn't seem to be many modern hotels or any higher end ones I could find at last minute so I chose this hotel as it looked ok on thf booking.com website. I paid £60 for double bed room , there is free parking but the breakfast was £7.95 additional.

The staff were very friendly and nice , the hotel itself though was ok , seemed to have lots of manual workers types there and I expect at weekends it's a very busy hotel as its right on the busy strip with al the clubs and bars.

I room was ok , not modern , old style tv , sheets on bed and shower only . The evening bar food was really nice and well priced.

Upon breakfast I was late as I forgot they only serve breakfast until 9am so remember !, although I was late they really apologised !? and managed to get me some coffee!. Like I said the staff are really friendly !!!

Maybe if I was working in the area again I may travel out a bit for a slightly more modern hotel ...but it was ok .

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank TJD5
East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This was a stopover hotel as a couple with friends on motorcycles. The parking was good, reception and booking in also. Our room was well fitted and had all we needed with a good shower and bath. Our room was on the first floor overlooking the main road. As it was a Tuesday it was quiet with most of the surrounding clubs and bars closed. My guess is that at weekends it would be far from peaceful, the area has the feeling of stag and hen parties about it. The Bar and facilities were good so for us as a stopover there were no issues.

Room Tip: Bear in mind that there are clubs and bars nearby on the same road, so weekends may not be so quiet...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Booked in to stay for one night recently as part of a cycle trip up the Coast and Castles cycle route. Told the lady we were cycling, estimated late afternoon arrival. With re-routing and struggling to find a place to eat, we arrived quite weary around 8.30pm and the owners first words were a harsh lambasting about not getting the arrival time right. Because of us , she had to knock back various social opportunities that afternoon etc. Not at all welcoming .
The place itself is fundamentally ok, clean room, nice breakfast. Having stayed at several subsequent places where the welcome was genuine and kind, the reaction we received here would clearly colour my take on this place and so sadly I wouldnt go back here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank rodjill

Travelers are raving about these Whitley Bay hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2012

What a great place, when we read the prev reviews we must admitt we where a bit put off but all 9 of us girls had a fantastic time and defo will be back!! £30 for an overnight, the place was spotless and the pple where cracking!!! can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Clare M
Reviewed January 29, 2012

On checking trip advisor I saw mixed reviews from poor to good. As a seaside destination I wasn't expending excellence so I gave it a go. On approaching the Windsor it looked to be well kept - particularly when compared to surrounding hotels. The foyay is nicely decorated an modern.

So far, so good. On check in I was asked to pay upfront which made me raise an eyebrow. I travel alot and always pay on check out.

The room - poor! Dated with noisy floorboards. I felt sorry for anyone in a room below when walking across the room. Luckily I had a top floor room. There wasn't a proper duvet on the bed - sheet, blanket and cover blanket.

On a positive note, it is well located!

I would advise you consider other hotels and b&bs. If you do choose the Windsor then keep your expectations low to avoid disappointment!!

• Stayed January 2012
#6 of 9 in Whitley Bay
Grand Hotel
Grand Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tynemouth

Been to Windsor Hotel - Whitley Bay? Share your experiences!