“Welcoming and refreshing”

Ranked #11 of 23 Whitley Bay B&B and Inns
UK
“Welcoming and refreshing”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here for two nights, arranged by my hosts during a longer stay at a neighbouring guest house while they were away visiting family - Jenny made the transition into her home easy for me, and straight forward.

The room was small but comfortable and allowed access to a shared bathroom facility adjacent.

My only regret is that due to the short time I was staying, and the amount of time I was out of the house with work and other commitments I was not able to appreciate the surroundings more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RedHillian

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bourne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was looking for somewhere cheap to stay overnight for Great North Run. I found this guest house via web search. Reassured and impressed by initial phone contact with Jenny who was very friendly and helpful. She even advised my friends not to book anywhere on the Promenade. Unfortunately they had no choice and lived to regret it. Sandsbrook is on a quiet side street, 5 min walk from the sea front. Jenny was very welcoming, explained where everything was and all about breakfast, etc. My single room was perfectly adequate, with handbasin, tea making facilities and TV. My room and shower room opposite were spotlessly clean as was the dining room. Breakfast was good. I would definitely stay here again. Very good value. If you want the Ritz then pay Ritz prices. Thank you Jenny for a brief but enjoyable stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
PETERBOROUGH
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Firstly we arrived and was made to feel very welcome by the owner Jenny. Then it all hit us. The smell of our room was unbearble, like urine and damp. We had been provided with tea & coffee making facilities but there was no plug socket. One bathroom between 11 girls not good. The shower was honestly poor. I did not use as my firend said it was unclean, poor pressure and COLD. We had told Jenny why we was there to enjoy the nightlife. We was being talked about because some of the girls smoked and they would go downstairs and outside a couple times. This was very outrageous as what would they prefer for them to smoke in the room and be given a £50 fine to replenish a room that needed a serious makeover. Money in heR pocket more like. THIS HIT A NERVE AS THE OWNERS WERE HAPPY PUFFING AWAY IN THE PLACE AND ADDED TO THE HORRIFIC SMELL.....The bed I slept in was very uncomfortable and smelled the duVets seemed damp so I slept in my coat as did not want to touch anything. I mean I am not a snob but for god sake. Then to top it off we all payed deposits 3 weeks prior and one girl did not make it. She made us pay for her unattendance which is legally wrong as that what a deposit is used for. Jenny arranged for us to have a taxi which I cannot fault as a great value for money and he was very friendly. After a good night on the town we was all looking forward to our breakfast. Which was just awful. There was no other choice that what we was given. Egg undercooked we was given one sausage which I was glad as my first bite was my last awful. Tinned mushrooms tinned tomatoes. TINNED TINNED TINNED. My firend found a unwelcome hair on her plate and not the kind you think (literally) The sugar dispenser did not work was all blocked and mouldy. I now know why. NO HANDWASH HAD TO PAY FOR PARKING. I MEAN THERE IS A ENDLESS LIST. Also we do not think they are registered B&B as no major credit/debit cards are taken only cash and they are not on any website. Checkout was at 10:00am we all left before that and we had hangovers. WHAT DOES THAT TELL YA!!!

3 Thank Kelz D
jenniferWhitleyBay, Owner at Sandsbrook Guest House, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
i am sorry that theses girls did not enjoy there stay. a dispute led to them writing this review. i can assure any future guests that my guesthouse is clean and well run. i have been in this game for a very long time and if i wasnt up to standard i wouldnt be here. my guest house is all legal and above board. the ingredients in which i use for breakfast are all fresh except the beans in which obviously come out of a tin !! jenny
Amstelveen
Reviewed June 16, 2012

A very warm welcome and friendly service. The room was big, the furniture a little old, but everything was functioning well. Great value for money.

1 Thank PietAmstelveen
HULL
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed here over the Jubilee weekend with a group of lads. We were transferred here from the 'not so great' Alcatraz which was full. Warm and friendly welcome by the upbeat owner. Breakfast was on time and very nice indeed and the bedrooms were clean and tidy. Felt like we were staying at a friend’s would recommend this for anyone looking for good value and location in Whitley bay.

1 Thank ElliotandJenny
cumbria
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I was looking for somewhere to stay last minute and not having much luck, I eventually found sandsbrook and I couldn't have asked for them to be more helpful! They let me have a room there and then, charged me minimal rates and upgraded me to the large family room for no extra cost just because it was vacant. They were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was lovely and i was made to feel welcome. The location is also perfect, just around the corner from the nightlife but far enough away for it to be very quiet and peaceful in the rooms.
Overall it was clean, tidy, excellent value for money and very friendly, I'm already booking to go back twice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo