“This is the Greasy Spoon Hostel , NOT A B&B! NEVER AGAIN!!!”

The Cara Guesthouse
Ranked #3 of 23 Whitley Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Myself and my wife stayed here for 1 night as we were invited to a party and both of us wanted a drink so thought be better to drive there and stay over in B&B rather than pay taxi both ways as it would be a little bit cheaper, wish we'd paid the extra tenner for taxi and stayed at home, My wife rang up and booked double room en-suite and told was free parking outside, We got there and found there was double yellow lines outside as was on a busy main road so we continued down the road till there was a carpark (Which you had to pay for), We parked twice in this carpark, The 1st time we parked at the bk away from main road but as we got out we were met by the local youths (drunk and abusive) asking if we had a good alarm on our car so we drove to the other side of carpark as there was no where else to park near by, Anyway when we arrived we were told the room we booked had been given to someone else as the lady my wife spoke to hadn't informed the other staff and that another staff member gave our room to someone else, we were told we could have another double room but NO en-suite for £5 less than what we were meant to pay and as we were the only other guests staying we had the shared bathroom/toilet to ourselves, as it was too late to look elsewhere we had to except, the lady then gave us a key and walked away? My wife stopped her though and asked where we should sign in/out? And if she wanted payment now or later? We were told 'Oh sorry i forgot about that, i'm just meant to give you your key, yes i'll take money now and you don't need sign in or out but you can leave a message tomorrow in that book (she pointed to book in hallway) if you want too! I paid her the £53 and we went upstairs to find our room, The room itself was ok but could do with proper clean up and some airfreshner, my wife had to scrub cups clean tho as they had tea stains on them and one of the glasses had lipstain mark on it, my wife joked about that if the place went on fire we'd end up dead as they didn't have a clue who was there, although was funny it wouldn't of been if really happened as there no sign in book and no fire safty regulations, We then went out for the evening and when we came back, we could tell someone else had been using the bathroom as there were wet dirty towels hanging up and dirty water (bubbles/hair/fluff and scum) in the shower so we decided to wait till we got home to freshen up properly. I slept ok but my wife hated it and was sure the sheets were not fresh (especially as she found blonde hairs in the bed and she has black hair) so she slept on top of a towel on the bed fully clothed, (shes more fussy about things than me lol) In the morning i ran along to carpk to put ticket on my car and make sure it was still intact, then we went for breakfast in the small dining room and were met by an older lady who said she would bring the breakfast and would we like tea or coffee? We were bought a teapot almost immediately but were not asked what we'd like to eat, a few mins later she came out with full english breakfast and some toast and was about to go bk for the same for my wife but my wife stopped her and said she didn't want a cooked breakfast just some toast, the lady seemed ok about it but continued to say she already had it plated up and a cooked breakfast is better than toast so i stepped in and said my wife doesn't have breakfast normally (total lie) so having some toast is better than nothing, I enjoyed my food as i love a greasy spoon but didn't expect it from here as the reviews seemed good, As we were having breakfast the lady started to tell the couple (the couple that took our en-suite room) that a man had left a bad review on trip advisor about her B&B and continued to slate him for being honest, My wife and I had to hold our laugh in as this place is a total joke and NOT what we expected when we booked, I would go again if I was paid but I don't think my wife would no matter how much money you offered her

Room Tip: Add a tip for good room? Its a waste of time here as you don't get what you book anyway
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Booked this at the last minute when visiting family. The booking process was easy, the staff friendly, clean comfortable rooms and a good cooked breakfast. Very reasonable prices too. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Have a short stay at the Cara as my father was getting remarried at 75 ! The landlady was superb, could not have been more helpful and had a great personality. 5 of us (me, my missus and 3 kids 13,10,7) all in the same room worked really well - and directly opposite the beach couln't have been better situated.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LesSod50
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed for a Saturday night. Was very welcoming, clean and friendly with a lovely location on the seafront. Good value too. Breakfast was good and they let my dog stay which given he is unhinged was very nice. Perfect.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We decided have some family time up the coast, 2 adults and 3 children. After ringing lots of guest houses many of which could not fit what the consider to be a large family we were ecstatic to find the cara guest house who said they had last minute availability.
On arrival we turned up late and were greeted by a lovely lady Maria, she showed us to our room which comprised of 2 doubles, 2 singles. Which she had pre heated for us. I was pleasantly suprised, the room was large, clean, with sea views and had a large tv! It did have shared bathrooms but that was fine for a weekend stay. The room was nice and quiet despite being next to the front door and it being a weekend, so no complaints at all!

After a warm (hard to achieve in November but we were toasty) comfortable nights sleep we woke at 9 as our younger children like lie in, we were shown the cereal on offer, both my daughters had cereal, my partner had a fry up which he thoroughly enjoyed, my son had fried egg sandwich and I had toast. All of which went down lovely, my daughter requested further breakfast items which Marie made without a fuss, and there were no complaints when my little toe rags left half of it as their eyes are bigger than their bellies!

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and extended for a further night so we could enjoy a lazy weekend to its fullest.

Marie was brilliant with the children, she was helpful, hospitable and non intrusive unlike other guest houses I've visited over the years.

Very happy with our stay, would visit again, and recommend to any "larger family" looking for a good sized room.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Samptlc
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The first impressions of Cara Guesthouse is a positive one. Right opposite a green stretch of grass leading to the beautiful North Sea with views of St. Mary's Lighthouse and the regular bus service into Newcastle. At first I had a big room ensuite on the ground floor, clean and pleasant, with one of the best beds i've had for a long time, then i moved upstairs to a single with a share bathroom. I can deal with this as long as the bathroom is close to the room, which it isn't really. The first person a guest meets is Carol, the elderly caretaker who although jolly and loud most of the time, singing away through breakfast, runs the place as though its a boarding school. Perhaps because a lot of the guests are regular contract workers and she has to keep them in line. However, wo betide anyone who is late for the greasy breakfast. I had a pounding on the door at 7.30am my first morning with a shouted "Breakfast Pet!" . Then the next morning I got well and truly told off for forgetting that there was a summer clock change (and so had arrived early for breakfast) I felt I should get have hot 40 lines as well as the serious ticking off for not remembering!
It irritated me as I believe a service and hospitality business should be just that. Faulty Towers comes to mind but here, with the jibes done with a smile unlike Basil's vitriol.
The owner is not on the premises so perhaps isn't aware of the effect the main member of staff can have on a guests experience of a guesthouse.
It also can be quite noisy as on occasion, drunken walk-in guests arrive late at night and can be rowdy. The bedroom doors are also noisy and not easy to open quietly.
Having said that, the place us worth a stay if you love the position, which I did, appreciate the rooms which are clean and comfortable plus there was the northern charm of the other staff member. Take your own soap.

Room Tip: I'd suggest the ground floor ensuite, they're large and comfortable and quiet unless late gu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed for one night with my partner, we had the great experiance to have the sea view in the morning from our bedroom window! We had brilliant customer service, room was very clean and fresh! would highly advice and will be returning very soon! We look forward to return! Love Amanda and Nathan

Room Tip: Higher floor for sea view!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple