“Lovely stay”

The Cara Guesthouse
Ranked #3 of 23 Whitley Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We decided have some family time up the coast, 2 adults and 3 children. After ringing lots of guest houses many of which could not fit what the consider to be a large family we were ecstatic to find the cara guest house who said they had last minute availability.
On arrival we turned up late and were greeted by a lovely lady Maria, she showed us to our room which comprised of 2 doubles, 2 singles. Which she had pre heated for us. I was pleasantly suprised, the room was large, clean, with sea views and had a large tv! It did have shared bathrooms but that was fine for a weekend stay. The room was nice and quiet despite being next to the front door and it being a weekend, so no complaints at all!

After a warm (hard to achieve in November but we were toasty) comfortable nights sleep we woke at 9 as our younger children like lie in, we were shown the cereal on offer, both my daughters had cereal, my partner had a fry up which he thoroughly enjoyed, my son had fried egg sandwich and I had toast. All of which went down lovely, my daughter requested further breakfast items which Marie made without a fuss, and there were no complaints when my little toe rags left half of it as their eyes are bigger than their bellies!

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and extended for a further night so we could enjoy a lazy weekend to its fullest.

Marie was brilliant with the children, she was helpful, hospitable and non intrusive unlike other guest houses I've visited over the years.

Very happy with our stay, would visit again, and recommend to any "larger family" looking for a good sized room.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Samptlc

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The first impressions of Cara Guesthouse is a positive one. Right opposite a green stretch of grass leading to the beautiful North Sea with views of St. Mary's Lighthouse and the regular bus service into Newcastle. At first I had a big room ensuite on the ground floor, clean and pleasant, with one of the best beds i've had for a long time, then i moved upstairs to a single with a share bathroom. I can deal with this as long as the bathroom is close to the room, which it isn't really. The first person a guest meets is Carol, the elderly caretaker who although jolly and loud most of the time, singing away through breakfast, runs the place as though its a boarding school. Perhaps because a lot of the guests are regular contract workers and she has to keep them in line. However, wo betide anyone who is late for the greasy breakfast. I had a pounding on the door at 7.30am my first morning with a shouted "Breakfast Pet!" . Then the next morning I got well and truly told off for forgetting that there was a summer clock change (and so had arrived early for breakfast) I felt I should get have hot 40 lines as well as the serious ticking off for not remembering!
It irritated me as I believe a service and hospitality business should be just that. Faulty Towers comes to mind but here, with the jibes done with a smile unlike Basil's vitriol.
The owner is not on the premises so perhaps isn't aware of the effect the main member of staff can have on a guests experience of a guesthouse.
It also can be quite noisy as on occasion, drunken walk-in guests arrive late at night and can be rowdy. The bedroom doors are also noisy and not easy to open quietly.
Having said that, the place us worth a stay if you love the position, which I did, appreciate the rooms which are clean and comfortable plus there was the northern charm of the other staff member. Take your own soap.

Room Tip: I'd suggest the ground floor ensuite, they're large and comfortable and quiet unless late gu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed for one night with my partner, we had the great experiance to have the sea view in the morning from our bedroom window! We had brilliant customer service, room was very clean and fresh! would highly advice and will be returning very soon! We look forward to return! Love Amanda and Nathan

Room Tip: Higher floor for sea view!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I found a good deal on the internet whilst looking for somewhere (within budget) to stay, with a good view to the Coast in Newcastle. The Cara Guest House came up and from the moment I got on the phone to ask up till the check out moment. its all been nothing but good customer service and brilliant treatment.

I stayed for a couple of days during my first visit and on this second visit, i stayed even longer and enjoyed it. I will highly recommend the Cara Guest house to anyone looking for a nice , quiet, peaceful and homely stay near the coast. The landlady and staff were all brilliant. thanks all.

Room Tip: Front or back rooms not withstanding - You're right across the road from the coast.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This will be the 3rd time my brother and myself will be staying at Cara Guest house. It is an amazing place to stay and you will not be disappointed. Next to being right across from the sea. Rooms are clean and spacious and well maintained,
A warm and friendly service by Mariea nothing is to much for her. We look forward to our stay in a few days time.

Thank you Mariea for your excellent hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank robsteel100
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have stayed at the Cara Guesthouse a few times on different occasions, once with family for a funeral, the great north run and on my own, we have had varied rooms, single, family etc all were clean, comfortable and always had a delicious breakfast served with a smile, good location, good links to buses, metro, sea front. Lots of local fish and chips, etc. The sea views are stunning from the B and B. Good value for money.

Room Tip: The family rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have stayed at cara guesthouse for the past four years for the great north run. My family and I have a lovely big family room, staff is always pleasant, room is huge, clean, and terrific breakfast. We are already booked in for next year.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends