“Disappointing after having visited this restaurant twice before”
Review of Grapevine - CLOSED

Grapevine
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: We have gained a reputation for offering great quality food prepared by our team of chefs. Our menu is British with Mediterranean influences and combines ingredients from the continent with a modern style of Bistro cooking. Wherever possible we use seasonal produce from local suppliers.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We attended with friends after having been twice before and was very disappointed. The starters were poor. My prawn cocktail was mainly a few shrimps with loads of sauce and my husband's black pudding was absolutely dry. My main course and my husband's wasn't much better. However the waiting service was excellent. It is a pity the food is going 'off the boil' as it was our turn to choose the venue and I felt very sad that it wasn't up to the previous standard.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My previous review of this Bistro was extremely favourable and because of this I suggested to three friends that we meet there for lunch.

My choice of main course was so disappointing. The dish had a fancy name but when it was served - after an extremely long wait (the restaurant was not at all busy) - it amounted to rather dried up chicken drumsticks, dried up coleslaw, and fried potato. The waiter came to our table to ask if we were enjoying the food and I politely told him that my food was rather dried up and that I would like him to remove it. My friends told me that their main courses were indifferent.

We had booked to go on a Tuesday lunchtime and as the Bistro is closed on a Monday the food seemed to me to be, perhaps, left over from the previous Saturday evening and popped in the 'fridge. The coleslaw, which was served in a small dish, was all dried up on the top and moist underneath - again, had it appeared to have been placed uncovered in the 'fridge and as it contained mayonnaise I was reluctant to eat it.

In spite of the lack of customers on this particular lunchtime the service was very slow and I was not offered a refund for my main course - although I had eaten about half of it. When the bill arrived it was found to be incorrect and we had been overcharged.

When we first arrived at the Bistro we decided to have a pre-lunch drink and asked for glasses of medium white wine. We were informed, rather snootily, that 'we serve only dry wine at the Bistro'. We all thought that they were cutting off their noses to spite their faces as medium wine is very popular - even people who prefer sweet wine find they can enjoy medium wine.

My three friends decided that they would not be returning to Bays Bistro and I don't know whether I would return.

It is such a pity as I have had very enjoyable meals in the recent past and, in these difficult financial times, restaurants cannot afford to be snobbish and indifferent.

The waiter and the waitresses (at night) are very friendly and helpful but the greeting when you enter the Bistro is not very welcoming.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Very goo0d menu. Pleasant evening fora party; excellent service. the staff were most helpful to all of us.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Visited Bays Bistro a few times since the current owners took over, as a couple, family (all adults), with friends (birthday party). The food's always been excellent and service has been good. The lunch/early bird menu is a great option. One criticism is that the owner need to be a bit more smiley and welcoming!

1  Thank toots33
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Very unfriendly attitude - not child friendly at all. Terrible for a local business in an area full of families.

We were shoved in a corner near the toilets away from other guests at a lunchtime sitting clearly because we had children with us. Not a single smile or welcome from the owner- we would have got up and left if the kids weren't so hungry and we knew the area better.