“A great local restaurant”
Review of Filbeys Bistro

Filbeys Bistro
Ranked #1 of 27 Restaurants in Peel
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A little restaurant in Peel with views overlooking the marina
Douglas, United Kingdom
“A great local restaurant”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Had another fantastic meal here today, lovely food, friendly staff and great atmosphere. We went with visitors who have a young baby and the staff were welcoming and accommodating. Highly recommend this place for everybody.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Lynnmanx

“Excellent Dinner”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We went for dinner at this restaurant on a Thursday night. We were early and were very pleased to find that did not appear to cause any problems to the staff. We had a table where we could look out at the Peel Marina and down to the castle which was lovely. We did not find it too busy but it was very early evening. The tables are not too close together so you do not feel cramped at all. We had a starter and a main course both which were very good, neither the fish nor the queenies were overcooked. The menu is broad with dishes that will appeal to meat and fish eaters as well as vegetarians. We asked for a break between courses as our starters were very substantial and this was not a problem. In future I will ask at the beginning of our meal for a break midway as we now know that portions are generous. We did not have desserts but I understand from other people that they are very nice.. We will definitely come back to Filbeys and can recommend it for dinner. We sat at table 3 and when I book again I will ask to be seated there as it provided super views while we were eating.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Clare I
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Sunday lunch”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Best Sunday lunch venue in Peel. Consistently good service, great food, excellent value for money. We have dined at Filbeys on a number of occasions throughout the week and weekend and intend to make it our regular place to eat in Peel. Keep up the good work well done!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank James C
London, United Kingdom
“My first choice place to eat on Isle of Man!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Peel is the most spectacular town on the Isle of Man and Filbey's is fortunate to be overlooking its beautiful harbour. Sit downstairs for the best view and the bonus of a foodies view into the kitchen. Talk to chef and feel confident that all your gluten free, faddy, sauce on the side, issues, are catered for and then be surprised at how good this restaurants food really is. They have a real sympathy for fresh, clean, local, seasonal food. Well balanced flavours and innovative twists on the familiar, all well presented, with an easy going attititude, all will make your second and third visit as enjoyable as the first discovery.

• Visited July 2013
5 Thank louise H
Peel, United Kingdom
“Currently best restaurant in Peel”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ate here for Sunday lunch and it was pretty good.

Previously I'd walked past the place a couple of times and seen a few empty tables only on the ground floor. Don't be put off by this - the main action is on the first floor - I guess they expand into the ground floor tables when busiest.

We had the Sunday lunch deal - which was £20 for 3 courses - and quite reasonable I thought.

Starters were nice - we had the Sweet Chile Chicken and rice, and the Goats Cheese tart.

The mains were great. I had the Roast Beef & Yorkshire pudding which was excellent. I might have preferred it a little bit pinker - but I guess they cook it to medium as most people like it that way. Anyway it wasn't hugely over cooked which you sometimes find.

I saw another table had the "Rustic Roast" - a set piece roast chicken dinner for 4 - which looked very good - and I will try next time.

Deserts were good.

The wine list was very good value - plenty of nice choices in the £15 to £20 range - for wines that retail for something like £7 to £10 (which means it is very good value for a restaurant wine list!). In fact they probably should add a couple more expensive choices - if it was a special occasion and you wanted to push the boat out a bit on a more expensive wine - you would struggle here.

All together it was excellent : food was good, service was friendly and very efficient, drinks/wine were good, decor was nice and there are views over the harbor. All that and it was very reasonably priced I thought.

Currently the best restaurant in Peel by a distance in my opinion.

• Visited June 2013