“very good B&B”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Douglas
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“very good B&B”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Just spent 10 days at the Adelphi for TT Week,i found it a very good base with a good breakfast and very friendly staff i have spent a lot of years staying in hotels/B&B,s in douglas for tt week and this was most certainly one of the best,I would and have recomended it to my friends and would also point out i tried to book for next year and they were fully booked so this hotel is obviously very popular and i do think some of the reviews are unfair! I would like to take this opportunity to thank the proprietors for a very good service and an enjoyable 10 day stay. Philip Higgs.

Room Tip: For the the more elderly holidaymaker I would suggest a room on one of the lower floors as there is...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank linH400
Adelphi-hotel, Owner at Adelphi Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
So pleased you had a good time in the Isle of Man and thank you for your kind words I to enjoyed tt 2013 , thank you Len Carr and JoJo Carr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The place was tired. I had an expectation that the it would be refreshed for the start of the season. This was not the case. For example, furniture propped up with bits of carpet, dirty shower, mis-match of bedding, lights not working etc. Proprietor and wife were friendly enough but both seemed as tired as the premises. I am now aware that similar priced B&Bs operate with higher standards.

• Stayed May 2013
Adelphi-hotel, Owner at Adelphi Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for your review, We are always working to make things better at the Adelphi and take reviews very series as you can see from other guest 99 % are very happy and we know its not possible to make every one happy you can see that at some of the 4 and 5 star hotels, its a shame you did not say some thing when you was with us and we could have move you to another hotel, Please let me know what room you was in and ill look into your complaints, once again so sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Yours Len Carr.....Owner
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were a group of 12 men and its was great and handy for all amenities.
Its a B&B , rooms are good breakfast delivered the goods, yes bathroom in mine was a little small but come on guys what do you expect for the price.
Yes it's on a hill but so is half of Douglas....
We would always come again and recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank alandt60
Adelphi-hotel, Owner at Adelphi Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for your review so pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you all for being great guest's Thank you and best Regards to all 12 of you Len Carr........Adelphi isle of man
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed in the Adelphi Hotel for 3 nights whilst I was looking for accommodation on the Isle of Man. The hotel is situated in a convenient location about 15 minutes walk from the main town centre. It is also not far from the main promenade although you reach it via Broadway which is a little steep. The hotel is a little old fashioned but it was warm, comfortable and inviting. I would definitely describe it as more of a B&B than hotel. The hotellier, a Philippine lady, was very helpful and chilled out. I had Room 2 which was spacious with a single bed as well as double. I found the hotel clean, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast was decent enough. The Adelphi was excellent value at only £30 a night; I'm not sure there is anything much cheaper or as good value in Douglas.There was room for on-street parking on the nearby side streets. Certainly recommended if you want something reliable, cheap and cheerful.

Room Tip: Room 2 was spacious with a single as well as double bed
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank EJB1976
Adelphi-hotel, Owner at Adelphi Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for your review, I'm pleased you where looked afte, Yes it was a hotel but is now b & b but we do have them extras i.e iron ,press, hair dryer, electic safe, tea and coffee, free on line computer and w.i.f.i free flat screen tv , radio, plus more. once again thank you. Yours Len Carr
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The level of cleanliness is appalling. When I first arrived in my room, there was stale urine and fecal matter in the toilet, and when I lay down on the bed, I found when I got up that I was covered in crumbs and someone else's hair (the top cover had not been changed or cleaned). Not a single surface in the entire hotel is cleaned properly. When I asked for the toilet to be cleaned, I returned to find lint from a cleaning rag on the toilet and sink - the question is: which was cleaned first?

Breakfast included moldy muesli, expired packets of brown sauce (expired 7/2012 for a 12/2012 stay!) stale bacon and overcooked sausages.

I then found out that my stay had not been billed on booking as stated and I had to provide a different credit card, as the credit cards they take are not the credit cards listed on the hotel description. During the process I found out that Booking.com sends credit card details in unencrypted emails to hotels, and so I will never use Booking.com again.

Total and utter decrepit failure.

Room Tip: If you absolutely must stay here, room 3 has a good southwesterly exposure.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank raiaken
Adelphi-hotel, Owner at Adelphi Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
I was stunned at your review I've been the owner for 25 years and never had a review like yours i refunded your money as you were so unhappy, we respond to all reviews to make the hotel better. Yours Len Carr.....Adelphi
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Located five minutes from see front, friendly welcome, big room nice hot shower, great big bed.
I slept like a king, the breakfast was rather good also.
I was a little surprised to find some one else's shirts hanging in the wardrobe but I didn't find it offensive or irritating.
I would stay again without any hesitation.

• Stayed October 2012
Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Me and my hubby have just stayed for the 2nd week of Manx Grand Prix, well were can I start, we had a lovely room on the first floor, which even for me, having arthritis, was brilliant very clean, comfortable, and everything you could want for a week away. Len and Jojo, could not do enough for us, the breakfast was yummy every day, and the whole experience was fantastic, thank you guys, and keep up the good work. The only thing I can critisize, where the hotel is situated is not very good for people with very bad walking difficulties, I have osteo arthritis, and it was ok for me.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank WalesMilliemoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
The Claremont Hotel
#2 of 17 in Douglas
Ramsey Park Hotel
Ramsey Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ramsey

Been to Adelphi Hotel? Share your experiences!