“An experience of a lifetime.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Devonian

The Devonian
Ranked #3 of 27 Douglas B&B and Inns
“An experience of a lifetime.”
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

My hubby and I went to visit Isle of Man last March for 3 days and stayed in Devonian. Prior to our planned visit, Gillian did make an effort in contacting us about our journey and even gave us a list of bus times and directions. We stayed in room#7, although it was small room, but we had everything we need. We loved the bed that it was so hard for us to get up every morning as it was very comfy to stay in it. Breakfast was awesome as well, loads of choices, and big pirtion ad well in which I end up requesting to have a smaller portion of traditional english breakfast. The room price is very affordable and worth the stay. Thank you Devonian for a simple and nice accommodation.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here a about 2 months back, 'double' room, which was two single beds pushed together. Lovely rooms, light and tidy, and alright for space. reasonably priced however shame about the staff! Lovely woman with blonde hair who served breakfast (microwaved rubbish! - could hear it ping!) however the 'owners' were fake, rude and I can not believe they have survived this long in the business. Lovely to your face, however mutterings under breath by Gillian as she left the room was just unacceptable!
The bedrooms have ok amenities, topped up every day, however once i left something on the bed and found it thrown on the floor when i returned! The walls were paper thin and the beds were squeaky and lumpy. Do not expect to get a good nights sleep at the Devonian, as you get woken up by next doors TV! Towels were cleaned every week day apparently, however towels came back two days in a row dirty, once with orange makeup on them and the next day with what I can only hope was NOT blood. This made me seriously doubt the cleanliness of the bed and breakfast.
Also note- you can only park somewhere near for 2 hours max.
If you want to stay anywhere in the Isle of Man, I would recommend the many other hotels in the area. Although the location of the Devonian was second to none. If you want a fake welcome, little sleep, microwaved food and dirty towels, this is the place for you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jjbond123
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

A massive Thank-you to Gillian and Kevin, both of whom were fantastic hosts while I stayed at the Devonian when visiting my sister in the Isle of Man! Everywhere was spotless, the bedroom had all necessary amenities and was beautifully presented!
Although I didn't spend much time in the hotel due to only being on the Island for just over 24 hours, my experience there was a pleasant one! Breakfast in the morning was hearty, with lots to choose from and also cooked to order!!
All in all a lovely weekend and I would highly recommend The Devonian to anyone visiting the Isle of Man.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jord21
Yorkshire
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Was on business on the Island 8-10th January and needed somewhere to stay in Douglas. Saw this hotel on Tripadvisor, and booked on the strength of those recommendations. I was impressed with the Devonian. I had booked a single room, and was pleasantly suprised to find that I had been given a double room for the same price, as they were quiet in terms of guests. Very good, clean room, with good space for hanging and storing clothes. Shower and WC room spotless, with good quality shower, not one of those weak showers beloved by so many places. Wi-fi available everywhere in the building to a good speed. Plenty of choice at breakfast, with cereals and juices, plus a full range of hot breakfast items for all tastes. Manx breakfast sets you up well for the day. Couldn't fault the owners, or any of the staff, and would happily stay there again if returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pcb1973
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Gillian and Kevin couldn't do enough to help us. I booked a double room for my son and me thinking it was a twin bedded room. I realised my mistake as soon as we were shown the room but that didn't phase Gillian and Kevin. The just put us into another room for that night while they changed the other room for us. That's service! The room was lovely. The location was ideal for our planned activities. We couldn't have asked for better. Breakfast was just lovely with great food and service. We will certainly want to stay with them the next time we come to the island.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RobinParkes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Friendly service , clean , helpful with travel arrangements and restaurant suggestions .Reasonable breakfast

Slightly old fashioned decor , a boutique hotel it isn't , no lounge area , wafer thin walls , ( woke up to the neighbouring rooms TV )

I think the reason this establishment gets high trip advisor reviews is more to do with the generally low standard on offer on the IOM and i have rated it as average compared with what i have experienced elsewhere .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 7777markw
Milan, Italy
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Great B&B on the Isle of Man!
Located just a few meters away from Douglas' promenade, the Devonian is really the good show (also compared to shabby 4 stars hotels that you may find in the area). The rooms are new, clean and very comfortable (if a bit small, but in line with B&B standards).
The added value is the owner, really kind and always happy to help.
Breakfast is amazing, cooked at the moment upon a wide choice of options (Full English Breakfast, pancakes, Eggs benedict, potato waffles etc):
Great choice!