The Rutland Hotel
Sefton Hotel(Douglas)
  • Pool
All Seasons(Douglas)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsself servicecoach tripgb toursnational holidayscoach partysteep stepsisle of mansea viewmeal timesevening mealtiny liftbuffet stylerecommend this hotelsea frontrabbit warrenwalking difficultieshalf board
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Only was going to stay one night ended up staying three. I had stayed at hotel just after its refurb. And can honestly say many years on, it was exactly the same i.e spotlessly clean, very friendly and helpful staff . Can't praise it enough.

Room Tip: You in the IOM, It's got to be a sea view !
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife, my daughter and I spent 4 nights at The Rutland Hotel in Douglas. We came over in the ferry from Heysham in our car. With the benefit of hindsight, I would advise others to buy Island Explorer tickets at the Welcome To The IoM office at the arrival port! These tickets cover travel on the horse drawn trams in Douglas, the steam trains to the South of the island to Port Erin, electric trains to Snaefell and the North (Ramsey) and buses to the East! A real bargain!We used them all and I, especially, enjoyed the steam engine visit to Port Erin, a brilliant day!

The hotel was excellent. A special mention for the brilliant staff at the hotel, from South Africa to Hungary, you could not meet a more friendly bunch!! Breakfasts were lovely and VERY filling and I would advise you to try the hotel's evening meals, really good quality and reasonably priced. A meal in a nearby Indian restaurant cost me TWICE as much!

Most of the clientelle appeared to be in the older age range and I found this surprising as the stairs into and out of The Rutland are quite steep and if, you have mobility problems, this could prove difficult.

The bedroom we stayed in was really comfortable with all the mod cons we needed! It was really well cleaned!

My only criticism was the lift which was very small, taking only three people!

In conclusion, The Rutland Hotel is a reasonably priced hotel which offers comfortable accommodation with some very friendly and helpful staff!

Room Tip: Choose a room that overlooks the sea.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
MarkDWilson, Managing Director at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and have passed on your thanks to our staff, who you so kindly mention. We also thank you for your comments regarding our breakfasts and evening meals, and we hope to see you again at The Rutland Hotel on your next visit to the Isle of Man.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a lovely weekend in the Isle of Man at the beginning of July. The weather was glorious. We had a fantastic smooth crossing by Seacat from Liverpool and were able to watch the mens Wimbledon final on return crossing. Douglas is quite genteel and it is a lovely restful place to visit. We were very fortunate that the weather was so good because we were able to see the Isle of Man at it's best. The hotel was very good. There is no car park there but we were able to park outside the hotel on the road at no cost. We paid extra for a room overlooking the bay and it was worth it. Our room was lovely, good sized bathroom and nice furnishings. The room was hot when we got there but because it was at the very top of the hotel we were able to leave the windows open and curtains closed when we went out and this kept the room cool, staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a great 6 night stay at the Rutland in early July during the heatwave. It is a great base for exploring the wonderful town of Douglas and further afield. On a positive note the room was huge, bathroom very modern and comfortable and we couldn't have asked for more in terms of facilities. The tea and coffee making facilities were very welcome and the varied selection of biscuits was ideal. To find a hotel room with so much space and even a separate sitting area is a big plus compared to so many that have tiny rooms. Breakfast was excellent - always nicely cooked and plenty of choice at the buffet for meat eaters and vegetarians alike. What a great start to each day!

I would however point out the following as things to bear in mind...

1) This is clearly a coach party hotel and if you get your breakfast timings wrong expect to queue.

2) As so many people have said before me it is a ridiculously warm hotel. It was like trying to sleep in a sauna and this can potentially ruin a trip if you don't get enough sleep. Why do they not just TURN THE HEATING DOWN?

3) The barman gave me the wrong change one evening and quickly rectified the situation without even asking to see the money in my hand. It seems like he knew exactly what he had done. I would like to hope that the staff in the hotel I was staying in were not trying to short change me, but I have my doubts.

All in all I would stay here again if the deal was good. I would try for a room on the lower floors though as it seems to get hotter the higher up you go!

Room Tip: Rooms without the sea view may sound less attractive but from our experience they are actually much bigger than those with the balconies.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. In order that we can improve and deliver as high a standard of service as possible, we aim to address all feedback, and thank you for your comments. As you mention, along with much of the UK we experienced a heatwave in July but as the Isle of Man normally experiences a more temperate climate room temperature is rarely an issue for our guests. In addition, all rooms do have thermostat controls should these be required. Nonetheless, we thank you for your feedback and also add that we are always happy to provide fans if these are also required. We are also proud of our staff and expect only the highest standard of service for our guests. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the Isle of Man.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Fabulous Victorian hotel! First time in the IOM. I really enjoyed my stay here and the breakfast was really good (which I only had). The room was very spacious, clean, and very nicely decorated. I was on top floor, which got really hot in my room. Had to sleep with all the windows open and fan on. Close to the beach. Kind of far from the Sea Terminal and sites. But, there was a stop for the Horse Tram and bus across from the hotel. The staff was very helpful and nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo