All reviews great rail journeys coast restaurant sea view isle of man ferry terminal lovely hotel five nights sea front light sleeper best hotel on the island coffee machine breakfast and dinner large bathroom central location manx breakfast little touches restaurant staff
Selected filters
Reviewed April 12, 2019

If you're staying at this hotel, it would be worth investing in a set of ear plugs should your room, like mine, be in earshot of the back of the property. On my first night I was woken in the early hours by what I took to be an extractor fan with an associated low hum, and having finally dropped off I was woken by the bins being wheeled out at 6am. Ear plugs helped for the second night.

Although the website mentions a dressing gown and slippers, there were none.

The website also mentions the availability of sports channels, but on the first night BT Sports wasn't working, though after pointing this out it was fixed for the second night.

There was a large damp stain on my bathroom ceiling, and bare wires coming from the wall into the (non-functioning) heated towel rail, which would be dangerous to little fingers and must surely pose a health and safety issue.

There were some nice features - Penhaligon toiletries, a shoe horn and clothes brush in the closet, along with an iron and ironing board. Small bottles of Italian water are provided daily. There is a computer and printer downstairs for checking in to flights and printing boarding cards.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, but the contrast between the smart downstairs and my noisy, stuffy bedroom, with its exciting view of a wall, was marked.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
MarkDWilson, Manager at The Claremont, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Michael J,

Many thanks for your review, I am sorry to note a few matters which fell below your expectations.

We were aware we had a temporary technical problem with the delivery of one of the Satellite Sports channels, which thankfully was swiftly resolved.

Bathroom radiators to guest bedrooms are time sensitive and thermostatically controlled. They are also 'earth bonded' for safety reasons which will be the visible 'cable' you refer to, we assure you your radiator was perfectly safe but will review how this is presented. We are unsure as to the precise reason for the 'stain' you refer to on the ceiling, as all bedrooms are inspected daily, we can only assume this was a fresh issue emanating from the room directly above, whilst we have not found any leak, the paintwork has been redecorated.

We are sorry to note the noise disturbance you refer to on the date of your stay and will look into the reasons for this occurrence, naturally we understand this would have been unwelcome at such at early hour, we apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused.

May we thank you for your kind words regarding service and our general team, we would also like to show you our selection of bedrooms on your next visit, we do of course have rooms with various view aspects and would welcome the opportunity to demonstrate the options to you, if this may be possible please do let us know.

Reviewed March 22, 2019

Had a brilliant lunch today at Coast with some work colleagues. Staff were very nice and attentive. The food was amazing. I would definitely recommend this place for lunch or any time of event.

I have also previously stayed at the hotel and the rooms are fab and again staff were great. Thanks for the great services and keep up the good work.

Cheila

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2019 via mobile

Went to Iom for official trip and stayed in this great place for 15 days . Great room , good service , food is decent . The biggest drawbacks are no gym or Swimming pool .

It is centrally placed in the promenade . Wonderful views out of the sea . When I went the weather was cold , the rooms were well insulated .

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
MarkDWilson, Manager at The Claremont, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2019

Hi Shanks123,

Thanks for your review & we are delighted to note how much you enjoyed your extended stay!.

Whilst we don't have a Gym on site, we do have an arrangement whereby our guests can use the local Carrefour Gym free of charge during their stay. We issue day passes, (with directions), at reception and it is only 2 minutes from the hotel, not sure if you where aware of this?.

Hope to see you again and on your next visit perhaps we can perhaps show your this in more detail.

Reviewed January 23, 2019

I attended a lunch on Sunday in the Sanderson Suite downstairs and really enjoyed it. I have hosted an event myself upstairs in the Coast Brasserie and found all to be efficient -so I had high hopes.

The space is lovely but accessibly is poor- The hotel are very 'up front' with this on their accessibility statement on the website. I don't think that everyone expects that Victorian Hotels (with steps leading up to the grand façade) can create lifts for all areas.

I really enjoyed my vegetarian food and felt that the chef had made a really good effort. Staff were attentive, kind and friendly- you can tell that they re really well trained.

A great venue for an event (if you don't have too many access issues).

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
MarkDWilson, Manager at The Claremont, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2019

Dear Manninagh,

Thank you for your review of the Claremont and the event you recently attended.

We very much appreciate your kind words regarding the quality of venue, food, service and staff and also your additional comments regarding your earlier visit to Coast Bar and Brasserie.

Your feedback is much appreciated by us all and we hope to see you again very soon!.

Reviewed December 16, 2018 via mobile

I have loved this place for years, but WOW, lunch today was AMAZING! Best beef I think I have ever had on Island, a sentiment which was shared by our whole table. Staff could not have been more accommodating or helpful. This is how dining out should be!

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
MarkDWilson, Manager at The Claremont, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2018

Dear charlt0nk,

May we thank you so much for your lovely review.

We are delighted to note how much your group enjoyed your recent lunch with us and hope to see you again very soon!.

Kind regards