“Don't waste your money on this terrible place. You'll be disappointed.”
Review of On The Rocks

On The Rocks
Ranked #44 of 154 Restaurants in Douglas
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Steakhouse
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Don't waste your money on this terrible place. You'll be disappointed.”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I went here for my anniversary on NYE, however, was sadly very disappointed. I read the reviews on trip advisor and ignored the bad ones - wish I hadn't! I wouldn't normally write a review but from this terrible experience I felt I had to.

Food- We both had steak with gourmet goose fat chips and sauces provided (different to on the website). It would also be worth noting that the prices were higher than on the online menu and also the actual menus were just laminated white A4 paper.
The steak - to be fair it was a generous size, however, as you're cooking it yourself you're not given any oil or seasoning etc so it did taste quite dry.
The gourmet goose fat chips- just awful. 8 chips from a tesco packet. These were not nice at all and just tasted like some packet ones- dry and tasteless.
The sauces - miniature pots - however, the waiter did provide more upon request.
For £22.95 I expected much better- however, lesson learnt - will not be going there again as I know now that I'd prefer a steak cooked properly for me.

Atmosphere- lighting was very bright so didn't really create a nice dinner atmosphere. Everything inside felt quite cheap sadly. If this was a cheap restaurant I'd understand however it is not.

Service- staff frequently asked about drinks etc which was nice enough. However, throughout the meal all we could hear was the manager having loud conversations with his staff etc- quite off putting. Tried to speak to the manager re food complaints but he wasn't very cooperative.

Overall- we were in and out within 30 minutes - left £50 down, disappointed and feeling very hungry! So had to go somewhere else after. Please don't go there, waste of time and money.

3 Thank iomfoodie

• Finnish first
Douglas, United Kingdom
“What a great place to eat!”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The first time I went was with a friend and we had a fantastic meal - unfortunately they had run our of most of the deserts but this did not affect us too much as we had already eaten so well.

The next time I took my husband and we had a really wonderful evening of great food - including the most superb chocolate mousse that I had missed out on the first time around (and it was well worth waiting for!!).

The service was very friendly and helpful - couldn't fault them at all!

I would highly recommend you give this restaurant in Douglas a go!

3 Thank Louise J
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Disappointing - a gimmick which fails.”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Was very disappointed that I'd picked a special occasion for our first visit here.. The lighting is very bright and it felt more like a school canteen. Complete absence of atmosphere. The gimmick is that your food is served uncooked on a hot stone. The problem with this was that my salmon spat hot bits all over me as it cooked in front of me and quite frankly if I wanted to cook my own meal I wouldn't have gone out to a restaurant. We were presented with our food with no instruction from the waiter. After we'd eaten the manager expressed surprise that no one had spoken to us about the process when our food was served - clearly too busy. Every thing was an extra. Not cheap and we didn't feel like we'd had a meal at all when we left. Very disappointing and definitely wouldn't return.

Peel, United Kingdom
“Great night out”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We went for a different experience and really enjoy the service and food. As it was quiet the atmosphere was slightly lacking however the entertainment is cooking your own food. Not a place for fine dining and five star service but the fillet steak was outstanding. The one small criticisim is that the seafood platter was expensive but tasty. This restaurant is a must for carnivores

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Tracey M
Isle of Man
“Brilliant Experience”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We went with friends for a birthday treat to this restaurant. I must admit I was a bit worried as I had heard that you have to cook your own meat. Not my sort of thing, but went as it was our friend's birthday we decided to give it a go. Thank goodness we did. The whole experience was really good. The staff were really very friendly and very efficient. The steak was absolutely beautiful and the owner came and showed me the best way to cook the meat on the stone. The starters and sweets were really lovely too. We could not fault it except for the fact that they didn't have enough of the wine we chose, but that could happen anywhere. Great value for money and a great experience, in fact I wanted to go back the next night!!!!

2 Thank Webby52