“Amazing food”

Ranked #34 of 162 Restaurants in Douglas
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We went for a midweek pub lunch and certainly weren't disappointed! The food was of a standard not normally found in a pub, I had the burger and it was one of the tastiest I have ever had. The staff were lovely and extremely helpful. We were so impressed we went again on the Sunday for the carvery and yet again the food was faultless!
I would highly recommend the British and am looking forward to our next visit

There are newer reviews for The British Hotel

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Have had a few meals in the British over the last few months and the quality of the food is excellent.

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We had very nice fish and chips here, along with very well kept Okell's beer. All the other meals being served looked good as well. The service was very prompt and polite. Would certainly recommend.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I had lunch with my bf here on a saturday afternoon, it was lovely and cosy and the staff were really friendly. The menu is small but top notch food! I had the sausage and mash and my bf had fish and chips. We both would go back.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We walked into the British Hotel at around 10:45, knowing that the average closing time in a Douglas pub is 11:00. The bartender had no problem serving us (there was around eight of us) and was very nice about it - he was the best part of the experience. The decor was great, and the music was great. They started closing around us - putting chairs on tables, going out for their last smokes - and we worked on finishing our drinks to get out of their hair.
Then, a man with some form of authority (we're not sure if he was owner or manager) yelled to get our attention. He told us - loudly that we had to finish our drinks. We did so, and as we were leaving he stood beside the door and thanked us all. I stopped on the side for a moment, and told him that I didn't appreciate his tone in asking us to leave. We were aware that it was last call and that we weren't being served anything else. He replied that it was the wrong place for us to be acting that way, and that he didn't want us coming back anyways.
After a long week of bad service in Douglas, I will certainly not be going back. If it wasn't for Jabberwocky, that town's tourism industry would have died a long time ago.

2  Thank jasmine k