“Very decent pub grub” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The British Hotel

The British Hotel
Ranked #25 of 152 Restaurants in Douglas
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
cambs
“Very decent pub grub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We had very nice fish and chips here, along with very well kept Okell's beer. All the other meals being served looked good as well. The service was very prompt and polite. Would certainly recommend.

• Visited June 2013

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I had lunch with my bf here on a saturday afternoon, it was lovely and cosy and the staff were really friendly. The menu is small but top notch food! I had the sausage and mash and my bf had fish and chips. We both would go back.

Visited April 2013
Prince George, Canada
“Less than impressed.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

We walked into the British Hotel at around 10:45, knowing that the average closing time in a Douglas pub is 11:00. The bartender had no problem serving us (there was around eight of us) and was very nice about it - he was the best part of the experience. The decor was great, and the music was great. They started closing around us - putting chairs on tables, going out for their last smokes - and we worked on finishing our drinks to get out of their hair.
Then, a man with some form of authority (we're not sure if he was owner or manager) yelled to get our attention. He told us - loudly that we had to finish our drinks. We did so, and as we were leaving he stood beside the door and thanked us all. I stopped on the side for a moment, and told him that I didn't appreciate his tone in asking us to leave. We were aware that it was last call and that we weren't being served anything else. He replied that it was the wrong place for us to be acting that way, and that he didn't want us coming back anyways.
After a long week of bad service in Douglas, I will certainly not be going back. If it wasn't for Jabberwocky, that town's tourism industry would have died a long time ago.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jasmine k
UK
“Great Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the first time I've ever been in the British and we were recommended by friends to try the Sunday lunch in the restaurant above the pub. They are only open to the public on Sunday lunchtime, the rest of the time it's a conference/function room (holds about 70 people but they will cater for any size group over 12 people).

There were about 4 choices of starters, main courses and desserts and you could pay for one, two or three courses which was great. We had 2 courses, main and dessert and coffees.

The roast beef was brought on a trolley to our table to be carved and served and when I asked if I could have the meat from the outside as I preferred it well done they kindly took it back to the kitchen and cooked it a little more, my husband who prefers his meat slightly pink just smiled at me!

We all agreed our meals were excellent and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere new to try. The room is nicely modern (wooden floors and polished wood tables) with great views over the harbour.

On a Sunday there is plenty of parking on the streets nearby and the car park a couple of doors down has loads of space.

We were so impressed that my friend booked them there and then for a murder/mystery night she is planning in September.

• Visited April 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good pub grub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

went here for dinner. I had steak and ale pie with mash it was delicious. My partner had lancashire hot pot with pickled red cabbage and crusty bread which was equally as delicious. Good home cooked pub grub in nice surroundings. Good portions and value for money.