“Handy location”
Review of Admiral House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Douglas
Admiral House
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Douglas
Ballymena, United Kingdom
“Handy location”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Close to ferry port and main shopping area. Good sized clean room with spacious bathroom ( shower over bath). Weird one, cleaner threw a facial cloth belonging to me out!! reception were not bothered by this either!! Comfortable bed although curtain on window did not close properly and no blinds. If you want a cooked breakfast no problem but otherwise it is poor with no freshly made tea. Food in bar area is good with friendly staff. Hotel states free wi-fi throughout but I could not get reception in room towards back of hotel which was very inconvenient for work purposes. I would stay in this hotel again due to location and cleanliness.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Avril S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel (first time was last November '12) and I came back as I was satisfied with the place on my first visit. It's located right on the front, in Douglas, and is only a couple of minutes walk from the ferry port and a the "right" end of the promenade for the town (choose the other end and it's a 15 minute hike to the shops and restaurants). Most of the staff seem to be Eastern European, but that didn't create any language problems and everyone was polite and helpful. Check-in was very quick and straighforward. This year's room was very similar to the one I occupied last year - it contained 2 single beds, desk, chair and tea/coffee making facilities and was of a good size and very clean. Again, the bathroom was of a good size and was very clean, Breakfast was taken in a room just to the right of reception, which was a change from last year when we where downstairs. The quality and quantity of the food was really good but (my only real complaint) I missed the Sunday breakfast as they only had 1 member of staff serving the whole of the room and after 30 minutes waiting I had to leave for my transport back to the airport. Another strange (for me anyway) occurence was the Sunday 9am "housekeeping" knock on the door - far too early ! So, apart from a couple of minor(ish) issues I would recommend this hotel, and will no doubt be back the next time in on the Island.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JimM6_10
Weston Turville, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I always stay here when visiting the Isle of Man on business and I have no complaints. It is in a good location close to the town centre, with wonderful sea views, a good restaurant (JAR) and a nice bar area. Its very good value for money compared to other Hotels on the sea front. Friendly staff always make you feel welcome. The breakfast menu is really good. Evening menu is a bit limited - all good quality but it would be nice to have a little more choice.

Room Tip: The large Exec rooms at the front have great sea views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TheMays2012
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed their for a couple of days earlier in the month and found its location close to the ferry port and the main shopping area very convenient. Rooms were well presented and very clean and surprising quiet despite its location. Breakfast was good although rather a strange locaton in the basement bar. The only thing I could fault was the quality of the duvet. I know this is personal preference but I found the hollow fibre material very rigid and not very warm.

Would I stay there again: Yes definitely

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve B
Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Having stayed here several times I only ended up back here because the Claremont was full. They upgraded me free to a suite -- "great" you might think! The carper is covered in tea stains, the curtains were broken on three out of four windows. It is noisy - more so than other hotels. The breakfast is pretty limited as well.

Value wise it is fine but I would rather pay the extra and not be here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at this hotel while visiting the Isle of Man on business. I am not sure what they are trying to create in terms of style, however, this is a functional establishment that doesn't cost too much.

A couple of gripes about the place. I had a hot/cold shower the first morning and reported this to reception asking if the problem could be resolved. I was assured by the staff this would be sorted out but it was not until two days later it finally was and then only after I got a little more robust in my complaint.

There was a strange smell when I first went to my room, but opening both windows for the day seemed to solve this.

Apart from the above, this is a hotel that is functional and delivers. The breakfast is down in the cellar bar area and there is a very eclectic mix of furniture there!

I didn't use any of the other facilities so could not comment on them. The position of the hotel is very good being at the central end of the promenade so easy for walking to the financial district as well as the shopping area.

All in all, not bad, but just misses the trick which is a shame as I think it could be right up there if they were a little more on the ball.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view then ask, I looked out over an alley.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank anothernightaway
North Wales
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Lovely room view of the sea, room lovely really big bed and the breakfast was good but hubby would have liked a larger portion of kippers. He should have gone the full English like me which was very good and plenty ! Great location.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple