“more than adequate but.....”
Review of Admiral House

Admiral House
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel (first time was last November '12) and I came back as I was satisfied with the place on my first visit. It's located right on the front, in Douglas, and is only a couple of minutes walk from the ferry port and a the "right" end of the promenade for the town (choose the other end and it's a 15 minute hike to the shops and restaurants). Most of the staff seem to be Eastern European, but that didn't create any language problems and everyone was polite and helpful. Check-in was very quick and straighforward. This year's room was very similar to the one I occupied last year - it contained 2 single beds, desk, chair and tea/coffee making facilities and was of a good size and very clean. Again, the bathroom was of a good size and was very clean, Breakfast was taken in a room just to the right of reception, which was a change from last year when we where downstairs. The quality and quantity of the food was really good but (my only real complaint) I missed the Sunday breakfast as they only had 1 member of staff serving the whole of the room and after 30 minutes waiting I had to leave for my transport back to the airport. Another strange (for me anyway) occurence was the Sunday 9am "housekeeping" knock on the door - far too early ! So, apart from a couple of minor(ish) issues I would recommend this hotel, and will no doubt be back the next time in on the Island.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JimM6_10
There are newer reviews for Admiral House

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I always stay here when visiting the Isle of Man on business and I have no complaints. It is in a good location close to the town centre, with wonderful sea views, a good restaurant (JAR) and a nice bar area. Its very good value for money compared to other Hotels on the sea front. Friendly staff always make you feel welcome. The breakfast menu is really good. Evening menu is a bit limited - all good quality but it would be nice to have a little more choice.

Room Tip: The large Exec rooms at the front have great sea views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TheMays2012
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed their for a couple of days earlier in the month and found its location close to the ferry port and the main shopping area very convenient. Rooms were well presented and very clean and surprising quiet despite its location. Breakfast was good although rather a strange locaton in the basement bar. The only thing I could fault was the quality of the duvet. I know this is personal preference but I found the hollow fibre material very rigid and not very warm.

Would I stay there again: Yes definitely

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve B
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Having stayed here several times I only ended up back here because the Claremont was full. They upgraded me free to a suite -- "great" you might think! The carper is covered in tea stains, the curtains were broken on three out of four windows. It is noisy - more so than other hotels. The breakfast is pretty limited as well.

Value wise it is fine but I would rather pay the extra and not be here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at this hotel while visiting the Isle of Man on business. I am not sure what they are trying to create in terms of style, however, this is a functional establishment that doesn't cost too much.

A couple of gripes about the place. I had a hot/cold shower the first morning and reported this to reception asking if the problem could be resolved. I was assured by the staff this would be sorted out but it was not until two days later it finally was and then only after I got a little more robust in my complaint.

There was a strange smell when I first went to my room, but opening both windows for the day seemed to solve this.

Apart from the above, this is a hotel that is functional and delivers. The breakfast is down in the cellar bar area and there is a very eclectic mix of furniture there!

I didn't use any of the other facilities so could not comment on them. The position of the hotel is very good being at the central end of the promenade so easy for walking to the financial district as well as the shopping area.

All in all, not bad, but just misses the trick which is a shame as I think it could be right up there if they were a little more on the ball.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view then ask, I looked out over an alley.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank anothernightaway
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Lovely room view of the sea, room lovely really big bed and the breakfast was good but hubby would have liked a larger portion of kippers. He should have gone the full English like me which was very good and plenty ! Great location.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I only stayed here for one night, and that was regrettable. I was fortunate enough to get a preferential rate thanks to a customer I was visiting on the island, and I couldn't have had a better (or bigger!!) room. Sea view, massive room, and a sofa in a bay window where you can sit and watch the world go by along Douglas prom, lovely!

We ate in the restaurant there, JAR, the food was absolutely fantastic (but quite pricey so be aware). The bar downstairs was really nice too though if you want to keep costs down, with your more standard type of fare, I can highly recommend the duck spring rolls. Beer prices are elevated, but again you would come to expect that of a hotel on the front in the capital of the island.

I will most definitely be staying here again, and hope to try the breakfast next time, didn't get the chance this time as I left for the airport at 5:45am.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business